SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#202514 - 02/02/05 09:16 PM Re: PA System
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The L1 is an 8ohm, non powered cabinet and can be used with anything that has a Nuetric(sp?) connector. ( not 1/4" )
I love that little ROland sub, and if I didn't have the Bose .... I'd be using exactly what Donny has. I even have a pair of Mackie 350's still in UNopened factory sealed cartons ... just in case I change my mind. (not likely)
The advantage of using the KC amps is the mixer. If you use a keyboard that has enough mixing on board, then it's no longer a factor. I send a mono cable from my psr3k into the Bose direct. No mixer needed, and it's been my favorite sound system ever. Some can't get used to it because they are listening to it with old, tried and true ideas. You need to embrase a NEW way of thinking. This system works differently than any other conventional system, and you need to be ready for how it works at peak efficiency. One tower, with one sub fills a room that holds 300-400 people without breaking a sweat. The volume is even and smooth, and there are no loud spots up close, and soft spots in back. It's very uniform throughout the room. People can talk without shouting - even if they sit right in front of it.

Boses recomends keeping it behind and about 6 feet away, but smaller situations don;t always allow that luxury. Even so .... I have NO feedback and I hear every note as clear as if I had headphones on. I'm VERY, very spoiled by how effective it is in so many different room configurations.

There's a pic of the setup on my website, with my antique kn7000. (long gone)

#202515 - 02/02/05 09:55 PM Re: PA System
BlkNotes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
The L1 is an 8ohm, non powered cabinet and can be used with anything that has a Nuetric(sp?) connector. ( not 1/4" )
I love that little ROland sub, and if I didn't have the Bose .... I'd be using exactly what Donny has. I even have a pair of Mackie 350's still in UNopened factory sealed cartons ... just in case I change my mind. (not likely)
The advantage of using the KC amps is the mixer. If you use a keyboard that has enough mixing on board, then it's no longer a factor. I send a mono cable from my psr3k into the Bose direct. No mixer needed, and it's been my favorite sound system ever. Some can't get used to it because they are listening to it with old, tried and true ideas. You need to embrase a NEW way of thinking. This system works differently than any other conventional system, and you need to be ready for how it works at peak efficiency. One tower, with one sub fills a room that holds 300-400 people without breaking a sweat. The volume is even and smooth, and there are no loud spots up close, and soft spots in back. It's very uniform throughout the room. People can talk without shouting - even if they sit right in front of it.

Boses recomends keeping it behind and about 6 feet away, but smaller situations don;t always allow that luxury. Even so .... I have NO feedback and I hear every note as clear as if I had headphones on. I'm VERY, very spoiled by how effective it is in so many different room configurations.

Dear Uncle Dave;

Do you find any downfalls to using just a mono configuration? What would you say that the differences in sound are between your Bose Pas system and Donny's Mackie SRM350 + roland KCW1?

Thank-you
Regards;
SCP

#202516 - 02/03/05 06:08 AM Re: PA System
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Yesterday I saw an ad from AMS that Behringer dropped price for the B300 powered speaker to $300 a piece. A pair of those plus a small mixer (and perhaps a sub) would be my inexpensive system of choice if I did not have enough PA equipment already.

#202517 - 02/03/05 08:46 AM Re: PA System
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:

Thanks Uncle Dave..

I'm getting old and poor , the L1 is $299.99 the Roland $485.00, I'm trying to pt a system together, that is Good, Cheap and Light ...

I was thinking of the L1 maybe 2 and this Yammies: http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=7971&Category=Speakers

with this one I already have. mixer: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_id/112624

Thanks.

------------------
ViLo
HE'S COMING, MAKE MUSIC, GET READY!

[This message has been edited by ViLo (edited 02-03-2005).]

#202518 - 02/03/05 08:54 PM Re: PA System
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by BlkNotes:
Do you find any downfalls to using just a mono configuration? What would you say that the differences in sound are between your Bose Pas system and Donny's Mackie SRM350 + roland KCW1?

Scp,
So far, I only prefer the Bose approach in mono to all other systems. If I had to use any other brand of speaker, I would not be satisfied with a mono sound, because the Bose treats it very different and more efficiently. Donny's system sounds awesome, and is very versitile, but it takes longer to set up, takes up more space, and doesn;t have the same space age technology that makes the Bose so special.
After you add a mixer, speaker stands, and the 3 pieces of his setup, the Bose is only about $300 more than the Roland/Mackie setup.

Ideally .... I prefer stereo, but i RARELY play in an ideal situation. Mono is a clearcut choice, given the parameters of the rooms I play and the superior coverage that the Bose allows.

More on the Bose in a separate thread today .....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online