SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#202415 - 08/10/05 10:56 PM Would like input on 61 note midi keyboard controllers
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

My Midjay should arrive tomorrow. Anticipating that I will like it and want to keep it has got me thinking about my next logical new toy.

What I want is as light in weight as possible, good key action, built well, 61 note soft "organ" touch, a decent bunch of buttons.

So far it seems that the Edirol PCR-80 and the M-Audio Evolution MK-461C could be in the running. Is there anything else out there worth looking at?

I saw a PCR-50 I believe it was the other day. I guess that's just the 49 note version Edirol. As expected, being a Roland product, it is built very well. I have always been impressed with the build quality of any Roland product whether it's Roland, Boss or in this case Edirol.

When I put it back in it's box one of the rubber or plastic knobs for the sliders fell off. I don't know it that was just a rare type of occurance or what. I suppose if that were an issue and I liked the Edirol a drop of glue would handle that.

The Edirol had a very good key action which I expected.

Both keyboards weigh about 7 pounds as does the Midjay. I like this idea a lot.

Any input on getting a controller kb would be greatly appreciated.

Best
Scott
http://ScottLMusic.com

I have not tried the MK-461C. I have heard a couple comments that the key feel isn't that great. One SZer compared the feel to that of a PSR.

#202416 - 08/11/05 01:48 AM Re: Would like input on 61 note midi keyboard controllers
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Scott,
if you can make a little effort, go for the Roland A 37: it has 76 waterfall keys (the optimum to play organ sounds), 128 memory locations, two midi outs and you could use it to play your Tyros as well, realizing everybody's dream: a 76 notes Tyros!
Last but not least: it does not cost a fortune.

#202417 - 08/11/05 04:47 AM Re: Would like input on 61 note midi keyboard controllers
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Dreamer has a good point there. With two sets of midi's that just makes it even nicer Plus 76 keys is always a plus to have. You get spoiled with them too. I've been considering the Tyros myself and if I do get it I will most likely midi it up to my WK-3500 (or 3700) just to have the 76 keys.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#202418 - 08/11/05 08:44 AM Re: Would like input on 61 note midi keyboard controllers
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Scott,
You had some interest in going down the softsynth approach. If you are still interested, then a 76 key conroller would be recommended (like the Roland A37).
Starkeeper

#202419 - 08/11/05 10:16 AM Re: Would like input on 61 note midi keyboard controllers
Scott Langholff Offline

Hello

I am reading with interest and trying to keep an open mind.

My main interest is if I like the Midjay is to be able to travel the easiest and lightest way. That would include as few pieces as possible. So as far as being able to hook up the Midjay and Tyros is something I see no reason to even consider. If I wanted to use both I could easily use the Tyros for both as I absolutely love its touch.

Next issue is weight. I see the A 37 weighs 17 lbs. While that's not real heavy, my idea of going light and small makes me think in that case why not go 6 lbs heavier and just travel with a PSR3000.

I don't feel I have any need or desire for a 76 note keyboard. I can easily play anything I want on a 61 note keyboard.

Dreamer, I am not familiar with the term waterfall keys. Could you please explain.

I may as a long term thing want to try out the soft synth thing, but so far from my experience there was way too big of a learning curve and way too much screwing around to interest me too much right now. If I ever did go that way, at least from my previous experiences maybe right hand voices only would be considered if it was worth it. On the other hand right now it seems there is only a handful of people doing soft synth arranger and no demos out there. I know that there are demos online for all the different sounds out there, but to convince me that it's worth it I would love to hear someone using it as an arranger soft synth just to hear what's possible. I wouldn't care at all what the persons playing ability is, I just want to be able to hear the sounds and how smooth it might be to change variations and voices and the quality of all of that in the final package that anyone then would know what they could do. Does anyone know of if demos of this type are availabe? How about some of you that are into this making some demos available?

In the end I know I'll want things that are on the Tyros like touch sensitive keys with after-touch. Since the Midjay does not have a right hand harmony button, I am wondering if that is something that could be managed to be produced from the contoller kb. Harmony would be nice but I could do without it.

I would also want enough buttons to easily pick my sounds etc on the fly. So far from what I can see it should be easy enough to use the style buttons on the Midjay and I may prefer to set my favorite sounds to the buttons on the controller kb. I am wondering how difficult this will be to do.

Again, this being all new to me, with the above info I look forward to your input.

Thanx
Scott Langholff

#202420 - 08/11/05 11:27 AM Re: Would like input on 61 note midi keyboard controllers
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:

Dreamer, I am not familiar with the term waterfall keys. Could you please explain.

Thanx
Scott Langholff

Here you go:
http://www.dairiki.org/HammondWiki/WaterfallKeys

#202421 - 08/11/05 12:07 PM Re: Would like input on 61 note midi keyboard controllers
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
Scott, here's another idea you might consider. I would put it in practice if Andrea succeded in convincing me to buy a Midjay I have a Kurzweil synth that I absolutely love for its size, weight and top notch sounds (the KME-61). It has 61 keys, a very good Fatar key feel (I like the Fatar 61 keybed, but curiously enough dislike their 88 weighted keybed), basic controller capabilities. It has one of the smallest sizes among 61-key synths due to the fact that the modulation and pitch wheels are located above the keys. You can't find smaller and the price is not much more than a dedicated controller; in my opinion it's a one of the best values available. And due to the Kurzweil problems theses days, you could probably get it for an excellent price in the States. The drawback is that its controller capabilities are limited when compared with a dedicated controller. The manual is online at the manufacturer site; you can check whether it suits your needs. I carry mine in the trunk of my car, in case I meet other musicians!

-- José.

#202422 - 08/11/05 12:42 PM Re: Would like input on 61 note midi keyboard controllers
to the genesys Offline

#202423 - 08/11/05 02:21 PM Re: Would like input on 61 note midi keyboard controllers
Clif Anderson Offline

Hi Scott

If you want aftertouch in a 61-key controller, with USB connectivty your choices are very limited. I recommend you check the Novation XStation, which comes in a 61-key version, although it may have more features than you want to pay for.

Clif

[This message has been edited by Clif Anderson (edited 08-11-2005).]

#202424 - 08/12/05 07:15 PM Re: Would like input on 61 note midi keyboard controllers
Scott Langholff Offline

Yes there doesn't seem to be a lot of choices.

I could get along without after-touch.

Mainly I want 61 note soft touch, (no weighted keys), initial touch sensitive, about 7 lbs, and being able to have 15 or more voices programmed into buttons.

I thought the Edirol and the M-Audio were touch sensitive, but in reading the specs again I am not so sure of that.

Any input greatly appreciated. I don't have the luxury of being able to go anyplace close to try this equipment out.

Scott

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online