SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#201970 - 10/23/07 07:35 PM Re: interesting L1 discussion on another thread
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Yes it is true, there is a small area directly in the middle between the left and right speakers that the crowd would actually hear the stereo imaging, you would be better of giving a mono signal so everyone can hear everything all the time in all positions.

the way the L1 does stereo is by placement. the guitar player would be stage left the keyboard player would be stage right, and its by location is where you get the simulated type stereo

#201971 - 10/23/07 08:15 PM Re: interesting L1 discussion on another thread
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
so then why are so many so hot for stereo? it's really so much more quality-sounding to the performer? or just an effect preference? it would seem to have more disadvantages than advantages if only the performer, or a very small slice of the audience, can gain from the effect..and i've never seen a larger audience ever seem disappointed by a great performance because they didn't get the 'stereo effect'. if you use stereo with spread speakers one side or the other of the room will get less of the full sound. what's so "dull" or "flat" about mono in live performance? i never detected any of that when listening live. is it possible the "stereo effect" to the performer is something like an addiction to that effect..not really making the music quantitatively better? or am i missing something here?

------------------
Miami Mo

#201972 - 10/23/07 08:21 PM Re: interesting L1 discussion on another thread
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
Yes it is true, there is a small area directly in the middle between the left and right speakers that the crowd would actually hear the stereo imaging, you would be better of giving a mono signal so everyone can hear everything all the time in all positions.

the way the L1 does stereo is by placement. the guitar player would be stage left the keyboard player would be stage right, and its by location is where you get the simulated type stereo

When using stereo, you shouldn't pan the instruments in extreme amounts...just a little goes a long way at broadening the sound whilst still keeping it contained.

There is still a perceived depth, and two speakers naturally will have a bigger sound.

As for the second part of your post, to get the effect you describe, each player would need his own L1.

Also, effects, like stereo delays and chorus don't really cut it on the L1...Leslie sims are really bland as well.

But, the Bose does work well for some people....I just wouldn't count myself as one of them.

Ian

#201973 - 10/23/07 08:22 PM Re: interesting L1 discussion on another thread
Dnj Offline

#201974 - 10/23/07 08:37 PM Re: interesting L1 discussion on another thread
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Yes I completely agree with not panning hard left or right,

As for the Bose, I actually use not as the way they were intended,

I set up a left and right Bose, and set them up stereo, but because of the L1 coverage behavior, I have a larger stereo sweet spot.

even being completely on the left side the bleed over from the right gives you the complete sound.

#201975 - 10/23/07 09:00 PM Re: interesting L1 discussion on another thread
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I've only heard the system set up once, in a GC in Dayton, OH and it seems to sound awfully good, even without a sub.

Interesting thread to read...Its not for me at this time, but down the road, it may very well be...

#201976 - 10/24/07 02:54 AM Re: interesting L1 discussion on another thread
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
Yes I completely agree with not panning hard left or right,

As for the Bose, I actually use not as the way they were intended,

I set up a left and right Bose, and set them up stereo, but because of the L1 coverage behavior, I have a larger stereo sweet spot.

even being completely on the left side the bleed over from the right gives you the complete sound.

Yep...I bet it does sound great...but using two L1s is a bit expensive for most players...don't you agree?

Ian

#201977 - 10/24/07 06:48 AM Re: interesting L1 discussion on another thread
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Stereo can only be heard by those individuals positioned within an equalateral triangular area between the speakers. Essentially, if you have two speakers spaced 20-feet apart, the full stereo effect would be best for the person directly between those two speakers. A person standing 20 feet in front of the speakers would be on the edge of mono. People situated to the left or right of the stereo speakers would overwhelmingly hear the channel fired through that speaker.

The Bose L1 array (tower) contains 24 speakers, and because of the vertical stack, which by the way, is nothing new, the falloff is negligible.

Setup time, at least for me, is about 12 minutes at most. And, yesterday I had to get to the next job quickly, I was able to tear down and have everything loaded on the rock & roller in just under 10 minutes.

One thing, however, that I must stress. Every keyboard is different when it comes to how it is fired through a sound system, and every sound system responds differently as well. It's important to carefully tune both your keyboard and sound system to get the best results. And, of course, this will vary with venue configurations. Nothing, absolutely nothing, is etched in stone when it comes to sound systems. If this were the case, we would all own the same sound system and keyboard as well.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#201978 - 10/24/07 07:03 AM Re: interesting L1 discussion on another thread
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
I've only heard the system set up once, in a GC in Dayton, OH and it seems to sound awfully good, even without a sub.

Bill.....the Bose with out a sub may be good for what it was designed for solo acoustic, solo instrumentation, CD music etc . But for full featured sound of an arranger KB you will need 1 or 2 Subs for sure to bring the bottom end into play.....

#201979 - 10/24/07 07:07 AM Re: interesting L1 discussion on another thread
JIMSAX Offline

Loc: Baltimore MD USA
Just my two cents. I purchased an L1 after hearing Gary on a job and testing it at his home for a couple of hours.
However after three months of working with it on the job tweeking it at home with mixers and without mixers compareing it to my powered Crates,s I traded it in for a back up T2. I just could not get the sound the way I wanted with my T2. Like I said just my ywo cents

Jim

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online