SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#201960 - 10/23/07 11:11 AM Re: interesting L1 discussion on another thread
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
The ONLY thing that ever gets settled with this discussion is the guys that DON'T like it, DON'T like it.
And they guys that DO like it, LOVE it!

As a wise old sage once said "that's why they make chocolate AND vanilla"

#201961 - 10/23/07 11:40 AM Re: interesting L1 discussion on another thread
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1: The ONLY thing that ever gets settled with this discussion is..
true enough, but it's not about settling anything, which will never happen, but just about illuminating certain aspects of a controversial piece of equipment from different perspectives. (yes i am getting paid by the size of the words i'm using)

------------------
Miami Mo

#201962 - 10/23/07 11:53 AM Re: interesting L1 discussion on another thread
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
What does "clear without warmth" really mean? And is it a legitimate critisism of the L1 sound?

First of all, whether it is a true analysis of the L1 sound depends on how the system is set-up, or EQed, but also on what your ears are accustumed to hearing... and what they MUST hear to be satisfied with the sound. There is much EQing that can be done with the many L1 presets..... BUT... there might be something missing, IMO, again, depending on what you need to hear.

The "without warmth" is the lack of lower-mids inherent with the L1. You may not agree, or even notice it, unless you do what I did.

I've used the L1 routinely for all sized venues for almost 2 years. Both my listeners and I have been very favorably impressed with the sound (and no lack of warmth).

About 6 months ago I decided to set up both the L1 and my Barbetta SE-32 in stereo for a medium sized (~250) dance venue. The Barbetta has a 15" speaker and has very good full range sound, especially strong in the lower mid range. It complimented the L1 sound beyond my expectations.

Only NOW, when I use the L1 by itself, am I aware of a somewhat "without warmth", and only because I've heard the difference. Still a great high-fidelity sound, IMO, that I would not want to be without. But balancing it with a good powered speaker like the Barbetta gives you a more powerful full-ranged sound, with nothing missing.

Glenn

#201963 - 10/23/07 12:22 PM Re: interesting L1 discussion on another thread
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The main thing to take from this, I would think (especially if you ARE looking for a new PA) is that 'opinions vary'.

This is definitely one purchase that I wouldn't recommend sight unseen (or sound unheard). Those that love it, love it, and those that don't, hate it. So, no clear consensus.

One thing I tend to take a look at is, what do the 'pros' use? By that, I don't mean us here... I mean pro PA companies, guys that make a living day in and out renting PA's for different venues. In general, there's a bunch of folk that do sound for different type acts and occasions. They need flexibility, they need volume (when needed) they need clarity, they need dependability.

So far, I have never seen a pro PA company provide an L1 system for any act. PERHAPS you can request one specifically, but I have NEVER seen a PA truck turn up with an L1 system for any kind of concert or club venue. That speaks volumes to me.

Bose have always trod their own path, sometimes successfully, sometimes not. For the VERY limited application that the L1 is designed for, and at the price point it comes in at, I have a sneaky feeling this one is not going to stand the test of time. I HAVE played through one, and my impression was that, if you want high quality, low volume 'background' type sound, with a high degree of coverage, it's lack of low mids makes it ideal (they are some of the 'body' and attention grabbing frequencies), but in a more forefront situation, you are starting to push it too hard for it to excel over more conventional setups.

Let's face it, guys.... if these things really WERE the next, greatest thing, a LOT of PA companies would already be using them. So far, not exactly what I have seen...

#201964 - 10/23/07 01:56 PM Re: interesting L1 discussion on another thread
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
But to be realistic you don't see many pro pa companies show up with eons or most of the stuff we discuss here. At least not for the front end.
Well here again I am probably wrong I know some use them for small jobs we rent them for vocal only or recorded music type situations.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 10-23-2007).]

#201965 - 10/23/07 02:21 PM Re: interesting L1 discussion on another thread
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I've been using the L1 for nearly three years, ever since I heard UD play his in Philly. IMO, there is no system, Barbetta Sona 32C (which I previously used) and a host of others I've owned, that even get close. I've performed in small restaurants, gymnasiums, nite clubs, huge halls, big top tents, outdoor venues larger than a couple football fields, and nothing, absolutely nothing, gets remotely close. Stereo--no one hears it other than the performer.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#201966 - 10/23/07 04:51 PM Re: interesting L1 discussion on another thread
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I have 4 Bose double Bass L1 systems, that I have used for over 2 years now.

The only problem is that certain types of music or venues like that in your face sound that a conventional speaker/horn system gives.

But since using the Bose system I have only recieved compliments on the sound, the overall balance, and the consistent sound quality in every situation.

I do sell mackie, rcf, db technologies. Unless It's a rock band or a very paticluarlly large venue, I usually go with the Bose,

If anyone would like to talk about it please email or call me.
Frank

#201967 - 10/23/07 05:40 PM Re: interesting L1 discussion on another thread
Dnj Offline

Aside from the Mono issue.....which I could live with if necessary....although some KBs handle the stereo phase issue better then others...For me it "wasn't the sound" at all....with some EQ'ing & if needed added second Sub I got it to where I could make it work.....but more of the personally aggravating time consuming 4pc setup and having to squeeze it all in to those tight covers with zippers over & over again besides all my other equipment,....remember this many times is 2 or 4 x a day....when you have to run to the next gig with 1 hr to spare.

#201968 - 10/23/07 06:41 PM Re: interesting L1 discussion on another thread
shiral Offline

Loc: IL, USA
Regarding using L1 system in bands, maybe it's a bad idea to mix L1s and conventional speakers anyway. The reason for L1's near equal spread of sound is that the density of sound energy that emanate from a (near) linear source (L1) decays slower than that coming from a (near) point source (conventional speaker). If its a surface (wall of sound) it would be even slower.

So if you have your guitar on L1 and drums on conventional speakers and balance the two to sound right closer to the set up, the guitar will be more prominent at far (because guitar from L1 is nearly equally spread and drums from conventional speakers die down faster). If you balanced so it would sound right at far, the drums could be more prominent at close distance.

Shiral

#201969 - 10/23/07 07:04 PM Re: interesting L1 discussion on another thread
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy: Stereo--no one hears it other than the performer. Gary
i've never used a stereo setup except for the onboard speakers. is what Gary is saying true?

------------------
Miami Mo

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online