SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#201938 - 06/11/07 01:43 PM Re: Korg PA800 Review
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Have had my T2 for nearly a year now. It has worked flawlessly, so I don't see a need for an update ( unless they wanna add some mmeaningful onboard sound editing or a few new styles to the mix ). I pretty much like everything about it, sounds, multipads, accessibility. I think it's good at what it is supposed to be and what it's supposed to do. I guess if it mattered that much to me my only complaint might echo some of the others that say that perhaps some of the styles sound too polished.

I cure that easily enough by turning off the parts I don't need and playing my parts along with what's left. I also sometimes add a repeating multipad or two for a little different flavor. I could have just as easily been happy with the top end Korg or Roland products ( they sound great to me too ) but it doesn't really matter that much to me because keys are my primary instrument and I pretty much can play whatever I need or want to, on any of them. I just like something that feels and sounds good, and for me the T2 is it.

I suppose there are a few things I miss from the days when my PA80 ( which I still have ) was my main arranger. I'm in the vast minority who likes the Korg OS a bit better than Yamaha's, and editing sounds was much easier to do with my Korg ( no computer needed ), but I don't miss some of the fills that sound completely alien to the PA80 style it's supposed to enhance. I don't miss the guitar sounds at all. I'm glad to have multipads that play real musical phrases, and I'm glad for all the user add ons that can be had for a Yamaha.

Still, if I had a lot of extra money to burn, I'd give the PA800 a serious look. Instead, the money I have probably would be better spent elsewhere.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 06-11-2007).]

#201939 - 06/11/07 03:22 PM Re: Korg PA800 Review
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Diki thats exactly right!

Honestly YES I wish Yamaha would release new OS upgrades that would give us more sounds / styles, features. who wouldn't right?

But in a real world, why would they do it? I don't expect them to, if i didn't like the product in the first place I wouldn't have purchased it.

If they released a Tyros 3 (or whatever u want to call it), they probably COULD release a new OS that will bring the T2 up to spec but then again they would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Nick

#201940 - 06/12/07 09:27 AM Re: Korg PA800 Review
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Styles are another matter... Yamaha LONG promised it's USB and web connectivity would supply the buyer with an endless supply of new styles and registrations, but have largely failed to live up to that promise. User styles abound, and that's a good thing but it would be nice to see a few more factory quality styles being available...

What is it now? Three years since the T2's introduction? How many new factory styles have become available (and how useful are they)?

One of the upsides to being an early adopter of a new generation arranger is that, as new models start to come out, all THEIR ROM styles can get used either directly or with tweaking, and there is a healthy supply of new styles...

#201941 - 06/12/07 01:21 PM Re: Korg PA800 Review
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Not Three years, but two years now.
If there are no problems ,you dont have to fix them.
Tyros 2 still the leader of the pack.

Impuls

#201942 - 06/12/07 01:21 PM Re: Korg PA800 Review
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
[B]Ive always had a love /hate relationship with Korg...love the sound but hated the difficulty in Navigation with the multiple steps real time OS.....
B]

the exactly same here!

#201943 - 06/12/07 08:59 PM Re: Korg PA800 Review
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
OK, 2 years (is it only that long? how time flies!), but more to the point, just HOW active are Yamaha at releasing new styles?

To be honest, I'd MUCH rather have another batch of hot styles that any 'guitar mode' any day! Somehow, third party commercial styles STILL don't seem to quite get that 'factory fresh' scent, at least IMO...

As long as the features the arranger DOES have work flawlessly, more styles before new features, for me!

#201944 - 06/13/07 03:14 AM Re: Korg PA800 Review
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
OK, 2 years (is it only that long? how time flies!), but more to the point, just HOW active are Yamaha at releasing new styles?

To be honest, I'd MUCH rather have another batch of hot styles that any 'guitar mode' any day! Somehow, third party commercial styles STILL don't seem to quite get that 'factory fresh' scent, at least IMO...

As long as the features the arranger DOES have work flawlessly, more styles before new features, for me!

AMEN to that.

chas

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online