SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#201785 - 07/01/02 09:23 AM Re: Sampling on the 9000 Pro
shakeel Ahmed Offline

Loc: gujranwala,punjab,Pakistan
Hi PUZK,

I own psr 9000 and kn6500.I am very disappointed to read all the answers of your question.OOOOPPPSSS.I am realy surprised
no body knows the powerful sampling abilities
of 9000.It can do all things u excpect from a
powerful sampler.Dont worry u can do multi
sampling like u mentind Stienway Piano cd.
u only need to upgrade its ram and install
a hard disk and u are on your way.

I have done lots of multi sampling on 9000
very perfectly.I guess i i am the only
person who is working on 9000 sampling.

If u need any assistance do mail me.

#201786 - 07/01/02 09:26 AM Re: Sampling on the 9000 Pro
rgtaa Offline

shakeel Ahmed!

You da MAN!

Is there a website to get this stuff! or info about using it?

rgtaa

#201787 - 07/01/02 01:22 PM Re: Sampling on the 9000 Pro
Jupitar5 Offline

Loc: United States
Shakeel,

I too did a lot of multisampling on the Yamaha pro when I had it, and these were from Akai CD's (Symphony of voices etc). When converted into Wav format from CDXtract on my PC, I loaded each sample into the Yamaha as AUDIO. I could multi sample each note like on a hardware sampler. Also, if you selected two samples, and used Delay + pan (left for one sample and right for the other), I found myself getting a VERY convincing sound, that I didn't think was possible from a mono sampler. It really sounded good indeed (The "Voices" were better than the internal ones when I finished with them). I didn't have it too long, as I upgraded to a Roland Piano Arranger, but in the short time I had it (couple of months or so), I spent a lot of time on this Yamaha. No, it’s not an Akai S5000, but it can be put to MUCH more use than adding “barking” sounds, and if you map them right, they will have more Bite too

J5

#201788 - 07/01/02 02:03 PM Re: Sampling on the 9000 Pro
technicsplayer Offline

Well , that's why you need to listen for yourself, because different people have different levels of acceptance and perception of quality. I tried a similar sort of thing with wave files and found the results unconvincing. Ok for synth type sounds but no good for acoustic instrument sounds. You started off talking about a Steinway. I doubt you could get a Steinway sound to satisfy most players this way.

#201789 - 07/01/02 02:35 PM Re: Sampling on the 9000 Pro
Jupitar5 Offline

The Steinway Piano is a £70,000 + instrument used for (amongst other things) Concert Piano playing. Don't even attempt to create a Steinway on the Yamaha Pro Sampler...it won't happen.

However, with the Sounds I used as explained above (Symphony of voices), the results were very good, and more than satisfying. The Quality of the Samples used may have helped a bit even if the end result was a Monaural 16 bit 44.1 KHz sound. The reason Synth type sounds work better in this way, is that you can do more with them after you sample/load them etc (Delay, attack, release effect/flange/phaser, etc), not very useful for the named instrument in question (Steinway piano) on a keyboard/sampler like this. But with Synth sounds (especially soft attack ones like pads etc) the Yamaha produces very acceptable results, as long as you don't expect “Earth-shattering sounds, so to speak.

J5

#201790 - 07/01/02 02:53 PM Re: Sampling on the 9000 Pro
technicsplayer Offline

synth type sounds are easy because they are inherently artificial and you have no acoustic real instrument as aural reference, excepting trying to sample classics like juno, oberheim, prophet etc.

#201791 - 07/01/02 03:14 PM Re: Sampling on the 9000 Pro
Jupitar5 Offline

The Sounds I sampled were't synth ones, but real Choir samples created in a Cathedral (AylesburyI think) and when I put them on to the Yamaha pro, they came out sounding better than the onboard vocal sounds (choir) by a margin as well. I haven't got the Yamaha pro anymore, but I dug deep into the sampler, and really went to town with it. Synth sounds aren't the only ones you can make sound good on a Yamaha Pro - I proved that myself by creating vocal sounds from Akai CD's converted to wave...to sound better than the internal samples of the yamaha Pro IMHO.

There was a 1000 + other things I did during my recording, conversion, sampling, Effects routing, "delay timing", panning permutations, etc, that it would take a 10,000 word post to explain it only half of it!

Also, I was very suprised by the low noise level that was evident in this sampling keyboard.

J5

[This message has been edited by Jupitar5 (edited 07-01-2002).]

#201792 - 07/01/02 03:30 PM Re: Sampling on the 9000 Pro
technicsplayer Offline

it wouldn't take a lot to improve on the pro vocal sounds

#201793 - 07/01/02 03:34 PM Re: Sampling on the 9000 Pro
Jupitar5 Offline

No, it wouldn't take a lot to improve the Pro vocal sounds (abysmal)....but I mean the Choir sounds (about par with KN6000 IMO. Different. (unless that's what you meant????)

BTW the guy on the Yamaha Video tutorial said his favourite sound on the Keyboard was the ....(yes you guessed) the Vocal sound! (Vocal meaning "Doo" "bap", "scat" etc, not Choir. Different

Lot's of Ooooh's and Ahhhhh's going on tonight

[This message has been edited by Jupitar5 (edited 07-01-2002).]

#201794 - 07/01/02 03:58 PM Re: Sampling on the 9000 Pro
technicsplayer Offline

no, not what I meant.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online