SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#201775 - 06/30/02 07:43 AM Sampling on the 9000 Pro
puzk Offline

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm interested in purchasing the 9000Pro, but I have a question on the sampler functions on the 9000Pro. Can you use sampling CD's available on the market? I'm interested in purchasing a Steinway Piano CD sample. Can I use it thru to 9000Pro? Thanks for your comments.

#201776 - 06/30/02 08:12 AM Re: Sampling on the 9000 Pro
technicsplayer Offline

only if you can find the sample in AIFF or WAV file format, mono, 44.1 KHz 16 bit.

The supplied ram is 1 MB, and you buy a simm expansion up to a maximum of 64MB in addition to this.

The sort of sample you are talking about would involve multisamples, and probably need a pro synth rather than the 9000pro?

There are yamaha boards you can add as expansion boards to the pro - PLG series. PLG150 PF is a yamaha piano board, I don't know if it has a Steinway but it has got plenty of additional acoustic samples. You need to listen for yourself...

#201777 - 06/30/02 05:53 PM Re: Sampling on the 9000 Pro
puzk Offline

So the 9000pro sampler is just used for sampling one voice at a time? am I right? I've owned a PSR8000 that had sampling, and the 9000Pro's sampling function looks basically the same as the 8000. Then what do people actually sample? The only useful thing I did with the sampling on the PSR8000 was to sample drum sounds, that's it.

If you can't use the Sampled CD's, then is there any usefulness of the SCSI? isn't just used to connect to a lousy zip drive and store stuff? Then wouldn't people install a hard disk instead?

#201778 - 07/01/02 02:00 AM Re: Sampling on the 9000 Pro
technicsplayer Offline

basically yes.

I gave up on the 9000 sampler because it was very difficult to sample anything with the quality of the best voices on the keyboard, and therefore you just used it for comic effects, putting your own voice in a count down, one, two, one, two, three, four etc. that type of thing. When you'd done that a few times you never used it again much. Others may have more use for the sampler for comic effects on stage etc.

The scsi was really for a zip drive, in the days when they were cheaper than a hard disk solution. Now it is pretty much out of date because hard drives are cheap and much better than a zip, and no-one will be making scsi stuff much in the future anyway.

#201779 - 07/01/02 07:11 AM Re: Sampling on the 9000 Pro
rgtaa Offline

Yeah.
I posted a couple of weeks ago and asked how people are using the sampler in 9000 or in their act.

I was hoping I would get lots of suggestions, but I think only one person responded.

I figured with all the WAV files online, jokes,all kinds of effects (train,gun,president speech,movie clips,scary sounds,ect)... that there is alot of creative stuff that could add to music... But I guess it depends on what you do and if it fits your style.

65 megs is 12 minutes of sampling time ... and there are Banks of Places to store them ... and with hard drive ... you can store lots of them (loading 65megs at a time). Good for someone making commericials,... I think one professional reviewer made a commericial using it in his 9000pro.

But Technicsplayer probably answered your question, better then me... I am still interested in finding out more ways of using it myself ...and I wonder if there are places online to download instrument samples into it. If you guys know any place ,please post link!

Thanks
rgtaa

P.S. Instead of going SCII you can put it a USB CARD into 9000 and the PC sees it like another HARD DRIVE.

SCII equipment is cheap now, so for 35 bucks you could buy scii zip or cdrw(cd-reader function when attached to 9000...I say this for Technicsplayer to avoid confusion ) ... since we are only talking moving files around 35 bucks isn't bad way ... for 150 bucks you could go the usb way... or 6 bucks (laptop adapter hookup...taking hard drive out and attaching it to computer to download stuff into drive)

[This message has been edited by rgtaa (edited 07-01-2002).]

#201780 - 07/01/02 07:56 AM Re: Sampling on the 9000 Pro
puzk Offline

Hmm... thanks for your comments,

Then the sampling function is not as pretty as it first seems. I'm dissapointed.

After being dissapointed with the PSR8000's primitive sampling functions, why couldn't Yamaha do a better job on the 9000Pro? I'm sure they would've made more sales if the sampling functions were as good as say, the Motif, or the Triton.

#201781 - 07/01/02 08:09 AM Re: Sampling on the 9000 Pro
puzk Offline

rgtaa,

I've sampled drum snares and the like, and have made drum styles from them.

I've even sampled the 'backstreet boys' style snare sound and made drum accompniments. It's funny stuff becuase you actually sound like the backstreet boys, or even Britney Spears.

#201782 - 07/01/02 08:35 AM Re: Sampling on the 9000 Pro
rgtaa Offline

I picked my psr9000 up for 1699(floor model) 8 months ago ... and put in sampling memory for around 70 bucks and took hard drive out of my busted notebook computer and put it in psr9000 and it worked. I bought the motif but the lcd was too small for me to read and the Motif was Way TOO Hard for me to figure out! I returned it and bought prs9000 ... at the time the motif was 1899 .

I turn the psr9000 on , it loads 1250 midi's, 120 flash styles,250 direct disk styles, 500 registrations, 500 music database, harmonizer, then i load up 65meg's into sampler ... and I'm set!

The Motif would be better for someone I guess who owns an Arranger Keyboard and wants the added Sampler,Sounds,ect to add to music.

I guess you read all the reviews online about the 9000 already and know the differences between the 8000 and 9000.

What do you think you are gonna buy instead... what arranger keyboard are you using now ... do you think the motif,karma,triton would be better for you?

Technicsplayer seems to know arrangers ...maybe he can suggest one that would suit you better.

Uncle Dave from the forum here seems to think the 9000 PRO to be the BEST all around arranger (except he misses the Speakers and doesn't like the weight 45lbs).

rgtaa

P.S. I like your suggestion about back street boys drums ... that's the type of stuff I would be very interested in.

[This message has been edited by rgtaa (edited 07-01-2002).]

#201783 - 07/01/02 08:56 AM Re: Sampling on the 9000 Pro
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Uncle Dave STILL thinks that the 9000pro is the best made, easiest to operate, best looking, feature packed, best FEELING, overall CHAMP of the arranger world.

Unfortunately Uncle Dave does NOT think it is a portable keyboard, suited for 300+ one night stands each year. If you have roadies, or you're 21 years old, or you always play large venues with BIG stages ... then it's a great choice. The deal with us "seasoned"(old?) guys in the trenches is this:

Too many places make the load-in/load-out very awkward, and the extra length & weight is a drawback ... even in some hotel elevators and hallways. ESPECIALLY kitchen hallways, where the lowly musician must often enter.

Another drawback is in the stage area's (That often, DON'T exist!) I play lot's of "society" parties in small clubs, elegant homes, and business offices .... the "stage" area is most often a corner of a room, where space is at a premium. Just lugging that giant coffin into someone's living room is bulky, and cumbersome. Then you have to store the case during the performance ... more hassles.

As an old Rhodes player, I think the Motif has the BEST sound out there, but a VERY close second is the 9kpro. Add the terrific modeled organs, and magnificent piano, and you can't beat it for a performance instrument.

I never use samplers, so I can't comment on that side of the coin, but as an arranger, or as a stand-alone performance board ... it still gets my highest vote for features, sound and feel.

Uncle Dave has sopken.
(Bob Dole likes Britney Spears)

#201784 - 07/01/02 09:22 AM Re: Sampling on the 9000 Pro
rgtaa Offline

Now if yamaha could get it into a Light Weight Size ... I wouldn't mind getting another traveling yamaha. Does anyone know the weight of the yamaha tyro's yet? I sure hope it's LIGHT!

I tryed the psr2000 but it seemed too cheap to me and no upgradable OS ... but many on this forum LOVE it for it's light weight and Database features.

Well said, Uncle Dave!

I mostly play in my studio and go out once or twice a month to jam ... so it's great for me ... but what Uncle Dave says sure sounds right for Nightly Gig Play.

rgtaa

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online