SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#201749 - 11/12/05 04:07 PM Re: So How Happy are all You NEW TYROS 2 Owners Now?
Roel Offline

I noticed similar 'problems' after starting the voice editor.
But as I noticed a tiny box/icon called MIDI-Setup (after starting Tyros2 Voice editor) I used that one to configure the midi-ports.
When done do the same in the editor and your system midi-ports will show up!

#201750 - 11/12/05 04:28 PM Re: So How Happy are all You NEW TYROS 2 Owners Now?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Roel,
No that doesn't work because the Yamaha USB-midi driver is not installing in this computer.
In the voice editor I click on the midi set up and all I get is the default mother board sound card that is Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth.
Thanks,
Bebop

#201751 - 11/12/05 04:31 PM Re: So How Happy are all You NEW TYROS 2 Owners Now?
BEBOP Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
It seems to have died own a bit whats happeneing out there in Tyros2land ? I guess many are still waiting for the units/or ? Anyone?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-11-2005).]

DNJ,
We are all busy trying to solve the problem of not being able to get the USB-midi driver to install or the voice editor to work. I have wasted a week on it and others have too. It installed in my laptop but wont install in the desktop in the studio. Must be a conflice from all the programs and drivers in this computer.
The Tyros 2 is great and will be a keeper for me. I Now have 10 other keyboards and one desktop computer for sale
Bebop
Best,
Bebop

#201752 - 11/12/05 05:30 PM Re: So How Happy are all You NEW TYROS 2 Owners Now?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Bebop,

Maybe a dumb question, but with the Motif ES they gave me two sets of drivers. One was for xp, the other for 2k /ME / 98. The XP driver was labeled as such, but the other was just labeled usb driver . Is it possible that this is the same situation with the Tyros and if so.... ?

I didn't realize it at first, but after a while I figured it out. The non xp driver did load onto my xp machine, but would not function.

Also can anyone tell me whether user and / or user sampled voices can be used in styles ?

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 11-12-2005).]

#201753 - 11/13/05 12:13 AM Re: So How Happy are all You NEW TYROS 2 Owners Now?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Simon,
very helpful review of the new tyros.
Hope I've got this correct. The SA voices are for melody not for style creation.
The mega voices can be used for creating styles.

Wonderful to see you're still pleased with your clp170.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by svpworld:
[B]

As for the pianos, well I also play a Clavinova CLP170 so I guess I'll never be happy with these...

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#201754 - 11/13/05 12:23 AM Re: So How Happy are all You NEW TYROS 2 Owners Now?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by svpworld:
Initially I was a bit disapointed not being able to select Super Articulation voices when creating styles, but I've found a way around this. Even so you can access all the megavoices (which in effect are what the SA voices control).

Uh oh. This is going to be a problem. I program all my styles and was looking forward to articulating them. What's the work around please?

Chony

#201755 - 11/13/05 01:12 AM Re: So How Happy are all You NEW TYROS 2 Owners Now?
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Thanks Simon for your candid opinion on the Tyros 2. I agree with everything you say in your short review. I have been weighing in the pros and cons of the top 3 arrangers - Yamaha Tyros 2, Korg Pa1Xpro, and the Roland G70.

After playing on them and comparing voices and styles for the last couple of weeks, my personal pick is the Tyros 2. This is in spite of lacking 76 keys of the Pa1Xpro/G70 and the excellent piano and organ sounds of the G70.

The Tyros 2 has a clear edge on the voices with its Super Articulation Technology. It surpasses the Pa1Xpro. I used to prefer the Korg Styles over anything else. Tyros 2 has changed that. The overall balance of every element - voices, effects, eq, panning, phrasing - in each style has been meticulously programmed in the Tyros 2. It feels just so much more polished and refined like a studio CD. This makes playing effortless - it inspires you to be a better musician.

The keybed on the Tyros 2 while an improvement over the Classis, still falls short of the excellent feel of the Pa1Xpro or the semi-weighted G70.

The styles on the G70 sound dated. The voices do not have that precision balance or the smooth refinement. Some may argue this is what makes it sound more live. The user interface is cluttered with too many buttons and this beast is too heavy to carry with ease. But the most annoying feature of the G70 was its residual hiss. You cannot turn off the hiss the moment you turn the volume control beyond 12 O' clock. The outputs on the Yamaha and Korg are squeaky clean even at full throttle. They exhibit zero digital white noise.

However, the G70 has a unique feature. You can load any Standard MIDI File like a Tune1000 MIDI file, and it would compute the chord progression and display the chords - both the current chord and the following chord - on the lyrics screen. This makes it easy to learn and play a song. Ninety percent of the time, it got the right chord. Sometimes it would present a C7 as a C-Maj or a Dmin7 as a Dm, but it always got the correct root.

I wish the Tyros 2 could interpret and display the chords via an OS update. Maybe Yamaha does not want to include this feature hoping you will buy their XF MIDI files!

At this point, the Yamaha Tyros 2 is the undisputed king of arrangers. Surprisingly, it is also the cheapest amongst the top three.

Regards,

Tapas

#201756 - 11/13/05 07:57 AM Re: So How Happy are all You NEW TYROS 2 Owners Now?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
"At this point, the Yamaha Tyros 2 is the undisputed king of arrangers. Surprisingly, it is also the cheapest amongst the top three."

Not totally undisputed! I still prefer the live drums and bass sounds of the Ketron. I prefer to sound like a live band rather than a polished CD, although a strong case can certainly be made in the other direction as well.
DonM

#201757 - 11/13/05 10:02 AM Re: So How Happy are all You NEW TYROS 2 Owners Now?
BEBOP Offline

AJ,
The cd that came with the ty 2 only has one driver on it and one utility program named Voice Editor.
It has an htm that you click to go to the Yamaha website.
Best,
Bebop

#201758 - 11/13/05 02:03 PM Re: So How Happy are all You NEW TYROS 2 Owners Now?
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
The SA voices seem to be a bit different in how the keyboard interprets them. I believe they are a combination of a voice map and megavoices. Although with a bit of fiddling in the step event edit it is possible to put SA voices into styles, you need to watch how the voice is transposed with the style.. as the 'effects' in the SA voice (such as fret noise) also get transposed. Sometimes weird things can happen! Despite this, the results are still amazing!

Simon

------------------

forum.svpworld.com - No adverts, No spam, No nonsense!
share your music, get help and advice, make new friends! All platforms invited!!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online