SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#201739 - 11/12/05 06:35 AM Re: So How Happy are all You NEW TYROS 2 Owners Now?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I was hoping to hear ( see ) more glowing reports. I wanna like this board a lot before I even consider it.... Perhaps DNJ and I are close to being in the same camp on this one. Even though I've become fairly well versed in the techno mumbo jumbo end of it, my first concern when I consider a major purchase like this is what kind of tool will it be to cater to the musician and performer in me. I think we recognize that any choice comes with it's good points but there are also going to be inevitable compromises when going to a locked in hardware system, and we're at the mercy of what the companies decide is best for the board.

I want to say it's hard to believe that Yamaha didn't upgrade to USB 2 or go better than PC133 memory, but it really isn't as I realize that these projects are probably on the drawing board for a couple of years at least before they get released, hence the use of Simms for memory in the Original Motif.

My choice hasn't gotten any easier. I can get a brand new T1 for 500 Usd less. I know the T2 has some worthy new bells and whistles, but the question is whether these will make that much a difference to me ( personally of course ).

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 11-12-2005).]

#201740 - 11/12/05 06:35 AM Re: So How Happy are all You NEW TYROS 2 Owners Now?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:

Additionally, the Tyros2 LCD display seems to be significantly worse than the Tyros1 and PSR-3000 displays, which are also not what they should be by a long shot. There have been lots of reports about the display since this board hit the streets, and to date, none are glowing.
Cmon' Yamaha, get with the program.
Gary

Gary I hope maybe someday these companies adopt your thoughts on improving the display screens in KB's because it purly stinks in an outdoor situation for sure as it stands now, not to mention under certain indoor stage lighting scenarios too, Argg! I guess you just have to put it on the list of things you have to use "workarounds" to perform with as usual.........;(

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-12-2005).]

#201741 - 11/12/05 07:24 AM Re: So How Happy are all You NEW TYROS 2 Owners Now?
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
this may sound a bit dumb but, would it be possible to put the info screen from your psr onto your laptop?i was just thinking of the people that use them.

#201742 - 11/12/05 08:02 AM Re: So How Happy are all You NEW TYROS 2 Owners Now?
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
Given there is now a high quality VGA RGB output on Tyros 2, I can see many outdoor performers using an external LCD monitor or CRT.

As for what my opinion is now of having Tyros 2 for a few weeks, well its now I realise that the PSR3000 was not as similar to Tyros as I had thought! The sound fidelity and quality of Tyros 2 is really a cut above the PSR's, even when comparing the same voices.

I have already began exploring creating new styles for Tyros 2. Initially I was a bit disapointed not being able to select Super Articulation voices when creating styles, but I've found a way around this. Even so you can access all the megavoices (which in effect are what the SA voices control).

My fave performance voices are so far in order of preference, SA concert guitar, SA movie strings, SA sax, SA warm electric... and then a few more thousand! The styles are fine, but to be honest I always find them too busy and thick for my taste - I usually mute a few tracks or use my own. The HDD recorder is great for ideas and the sampling feature is something I am looking forward to exploring when I've more time.
I've learnt to live with the slight sluggish control actions on certain screens, I find the main display much easier to capture what's going on and the improved registration memory names a boon. The great thing is that everything works as it did in Tyros 1 and even 3000, so its easy to navigate... However changing voices on the fly is still easier with some pre-planning, again the button pushing with voice banks isn't immediate.

I think its the sheer quality of sound from T2 that is most captivating and enticing.. Just sitting down at evening with a solo voice, or laying an electric piano and solo SA voice... you really have to hear it through a quality HiFi system to appreciate the depth and clarity of sound.

I still find Yamaha basses a bit thin and I think there's a long way to go in getting a decent thick and warm bass sound. Maybe a bit more processing could help, but its one area I feel lacks.

The new drum kits and of course the standard live kits are really great, but you need to manually program them with human touch to appreciate the multi layered samples and dynamics.

The new nylon guitars are breathtaking and add a significant layer of icing on the cake. There's quite a few new synth pads too, though nothing amazingly different from the normal Yamaha synth voices you get.

As for the pianos, well I also play a Clavinova CLP170 so I guess I'll never be happy with these... but I've found increasing the brightness of the grand piano to about 75 has a dramatic improvement. I think they are just fine for a keyboard, and do the trick.

USB storage is brilliant, long live USB and bury the floppy disks! Two ports enable me to plug in my gooseneck USB LED light stick.

Oh and the Tyros 2 seems easy to carry about now, with more to catch hold of under the sides of the case. It feels heavier though than T1.

I guess if I was to ask for some improvements, it would be a faster CPU to reduce the somewhat sluggish responses and delays when certain functions are used on the Music Database. I'd like to see the Music Database do more than just hold a style and tempo.. and a memory card slot would have been handy.

Otherwise can't think of much to add to what is already a great machine. Tyros 1 is still an incredible keyboard, T2 only builds on this to satisfy the ever demanding pro's, performers and enthusiasts.

Regards
Simon

------------------

forum.svpworld.com - No adverts, No spam, No nonsense!
share your music, get help and advice, make new friends! All platforms invited!!

#201743 - 11/12/05 08:52 AM Re: So How Happy are all You NEW TYROS 2 Owners Now?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Nardoni,

I would think so, but video is one area of the computer that I am not very well versed in. OTOH, I want to get a smaller portable screen for my laptop, because I dislike having it "up in my face" when i'm playing live.

Simon, I'm pretty convinced that if I decide to go the Tyros route, that I will probably spring for the T2. Just having the improved keybed alone makes it a better choice for me. I doubt I'd use the sampling function all that much, but now that you mentioned not being able to use the SA voices ina user style ( no big deal for me ) I'm still a little curious to know if sampled user voices can be used in styles, particularly user styles.

Well, it looks like it comes down to T2, oe hope to get to tryout a PA1x. I won't buy a PA1x w/o a thorough workout. There would have to be major improvements in a few of the acoustic lead voices for me to consider it.

What I really want is a suitable all in one, because a couple of the places I am going to play are pretty tight for space. Otherwise, when space isn't a big concern, I'm perfectly fine with the my software setup and the Motif ES as my controller, and sometimes I setup the PA80 along with it as well.

AJ

#201744 - 11/12/05 10:57 AM Re: So How Happy are all You NEW TYROS 2 Owners Now?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I to echo what Simon wrote about our new TY2. I am so happy with it that my socks are rolling up and down. I have 11 keyboards at present and have had many more then that so I can qualify this board as being a good one.
The only problem I have run into that is driving me nutzo is the USB-Midi driver that came on a Cd with the keyboard, and also included the voice editor.
I have spent the last few days trying to get this driver installed on the P4 INtel Sony Vaio desktop with no luck. It installs but will not enable. The voice editor installs but will not function without that driver.
Now..............it is interesting to note that I brought the new Toshiba Satellite Laptop computer in to the studio and the Driver and voice editor installed without any problem. The Toshiba has a 17 inch screen so I can work with it but didn't want to except when traveling in the motorhome.
I wonder if the fact that this computer has the drivers for the Technics computers installed in it creates this problem. Or the Cakewalk Deluxe Pro Audio V 9?
I am amazed that with 20 years of experience with computers and electronic keyboards that I am unable to resolve this problem. Do any of you folks have any ideas for me to pursue. I have run out of ideas and Yamaha has not yet responded to my email plea for help I sent them thursday.
Best to all and thanks for any help you may send my way
BEBOP

#201745 - 11/12/05 11:25 AM Re: So How Happy are all You NEW TYROS 2 Owners Now?
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Hi Bill

As per my email, I highly suspect the conflict is with your installed Technics USB driver. I do NOT have that installed on any of my computers.

I know it is a big hassle, but the way to check is to:
1. uninstall the Technics driver,
2. uninstall the Yamaha driver,
3. reboot and
4. reinstall the Yamaha driver.
That test would determine if there is a driver conflict between the two.

Tom G.

[This message has been edited by TomTomSF (edited 11-12-2005).]

#201746 - 11/12/05 01:00 PM Re: So How Happy are all You NEW TYROS 2 Owners Now?
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Hi BEBOP. I had trouble installing the USB driver to start off with from the CD but I then downloaded it off Yamaha's site. I'm not sure if this was a newer release but the file was bigger and it installed straight away.
Only thing I have to find out now is how to save an edited sound back into this Tyros 2.
When I press save/assign a message comes up.
See my reply to Simons posting on the Yamaha forum on here. Maybe you know how to save the edited sounds out?
There's huge potential here. Someone said the piano sounds on the Tyros 2 are not good. I think they are good myself, but edit one, give it a bit more ba**s at the bass end, add a slight touch of reverb and some EQ and it blows you away - great stuff.

#201747 - 11/12/05 02:37 PM Re: So How Happy are all You NEW TYROS 2 Owners Now?
lacobo Offline

Loc: Hoofddorp, NH, the Nethelands
Quote:
Originally posted by BEBOP:
The only problem I have run into that is driving me nutzo is the USB-Midi driver that came on a Cd with the keyboard, and also included the voice editor.
I have spent the last few days trying to get this driver installed on the P4 INtel Sony Vaio desktop with no luck. It installs but will not enable. The voice editor installs but will not function without that driver.
BEBOP

Hack the registry! HKEY_Current_User\Software\Yamaha\Shell\MidiSetup
Set both values (In and Out) to 1
Set In Driver value 0 to YAMAHA USB IN 0-1
Set Out Driver value 0 to YAMAHA USB OUT 0-1

Restart the machine.

That solved my troubles after spending quite some hours looking for a solution.

#201748 - 11/12/05 03:57 PM Re: So How Happy are all You NEW TYROS 2 Owners Now?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
HI Craig, I don't have any help for you at this time.
I am still trying to get a working driver for midi and the voice editor

Hi Bert, I have done the registry hacks you advised but it did not resolve the problem. I have sent you and email with the registry entries I see there and maybe you have further advise. I keep getting the motherboard sound card driver as the default device instead of the yamaha USB midi driver. Not sure what to do about this.
Thanks,
Bebop

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online