SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#20168 - 11/30/99 03:53 PM K2500 vs. Equinox Pro
AC Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
I'm a complete newbie to the world of synths and midi. My background is in "classical" music composition, concert recording engineer and electronic/desktop publishing.

I'm looking to buy a good synth that can approximate the sound of a full orchestra. Money is not a big issue and I want to get something I won't outgrow in six months or a year.

My question, finally, is that looking at the raw specs, the Equinox Pro seems to be better than the
K2500/K2600. However, it doesn't seem to have the widespread support that I might need if I get into trouble.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#20169 - 11/30/99 08:52 PM Re: K2500 vs. Equinox Pro
Chris Attison Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY.
I really dont know much about Equinox, but I am a K2500 user. The internal orchestral sounds are great and realistic sounding. There are also a vast library of sounds available for the Kurzweil on floppy and CD-Rom. The Kurzweil is not something you will outgrow. The only minor setback may be the issue with polyphony. I believe Equinox has 64 note polyphony, the K2500 has 48. But one needs to understand how the K synths work when it comes to layering keymaps. For example, one layer of strings on a K sounds great, you may not have to use multi-layering to get a great sound. You could eat up polyphony by using 3 layers of strings for example.

#20170 - 12/01/99 02:57 AM Re: K2500 vs. Equinox Pro
buinu Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
Yep, I have to agree with Chris regarding the K25. It truly is a powerful machine and because of the architecture, may take you a while to get used to.
Now days, 48 voices doesn't sound like much, but as Chris alluded to, a single layer will go a long way especially when you add in a couple of the other oscillators that do not subtract from the overall polyphony.
I am also unfamiliar with the Equinox, so all I can suggest is that you try to spend a great deal of time with each synth before you make your final decision. While the factory sounds on the K25 are really pretty good, they can be a whole lot better once you start digging deep into the synth.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online