SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#20153 - 06/19/03 02:11 PM Re: George, help! Bee buzzes after piano notes/chords
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
I did! and I absolutely can't hear it!

I was very recently tested on my hearing and there's nothing wrong with my hearing, in fact my hearing seems to be superb for my age. (I'm almost 52)

So it might be that more K2600 have this, but mine does not have this problem!
Thats'why I am curious to listen to a small sample which has this bee buzz!
If you don't mind just send me a few notes, sampled in mp3 format.

I recently removed my mail adress from profile to avoid and reduce spam, but if you are willing to send it, will send you my mail adress or a private place where you can upload.

Fred

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherwood:
Fred,
If you go to the referenced thread, you'll see that a number of people have heard this. Strike a note solidly in Program 1 in the C3-C4 range and hold it. Because of the looping, it kicks in strongly in 1+ seconds and then very slowly decays.

I don't know what to say if you can't hear it. Maybe you are just not sensitive to these particular frequencies.

If you are interested, I suggest you go to the K2600 User Group (link above) and go through Stoph's step-by-step changes. Stoph was the only person who really put in some effort to solve the problem, and he did a terrific job. Then, compare this to the original Program 1. There is a very clear difference.

Thanks,
Mike

#20154 - 07/12/03 11:10 PM Re: George, help! Bee buzzes after piano notes/chords
geosync Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA
Mike,

Sorry to be so long in replying. There is something WRONG with your K2600. You state that you hear this both with digital out and analog ..

I suspect you have a hardware problem.
I can't tell you what (not a tech)

do any other sounds "buzz" .. check carefully..
(I suspect they do if you really listen.

A repair is definately in order. before taking it in...

Download the latest OS and Objects and reinstall it and then do a hard reset.. If the sound still "buzzes"

take it in for repair or make sure your House "Sync" is working properly..

BTW..

Here are the names of the new voices for the K2600 family. the sounds for GM 400-500 are for the K2661

http://www.geosyncmusic.com/K2661Pgm/K2661Lst.htm

Geo

#20155 - 07/13/03 07:35 AM Re: George, help! Bee buzzes after piano notes/chords
Sherwood Offline

George,
I honestly don't think the problem is with my K2600. If you go to the thread mentioned above, you'll see that a number of other (knowledgeable) people have heard the same thing. That fact that I do not hear it with any other programs except some piano programs also supports the notion that it is in the programs, not the gear. One of the guys there who is very knowledgeable at programming the K2600 made a modification (which he describes in detail in that thread) to Program 1 which reduces most of the buzz problem.

He also helped me off-line repair a Sweetwater Grand Piano program which had the same problem.

So, I think it is something that most people apparently don't find objectionable enough to do anything about. But, I think it is there. Since you have worked so much with the K2600, I am surprised that you haven't at least noticed it sometimes. "Buzz" may be a bad description. It is a harmonic that is almost a high frequency hum, that has you opening you mouth to clear your ears.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. After you look through that thread, if you still think I am screwed up, please let me know!!
Thanks,
Mike

#20156 - 07/13/03 09:10 AM Re: George, help! Bee buzzes after piano notes/chords
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
I had a simular problem with my 2600 except it was much more pronounced and did effect other voices. The ROM daughter board had come a little loose and after re-seating it all was well. The foam strip that holds the daughterboard in was missing.
Not sure if this helped but may be worth taking a shot at. If you have ROM modlules installed just reseat the daughter board.

Jerry

#20157 - 07/13/03 12:41 PM Re: George, help! Bee buzzes after piano notes/chords
geosync Offline

Mike,

I understand the work around to fix a problem that should not normally exist.

If you hear buzzing in your headphones, you got a hardware problem .. Could be as Jerry suggests.

If you do not hear buzzing, check all cables, Preamps, Possible blown tweeters, digital clock source..... (make sure you have good headphones ..)

Believe me.. Those work arounds are just "Polishing a T---" Fix the problem and enjoy how great the piano should sound.

I speak from playing and adjusting "Hundreds" of K's.
I know what they are supposed to sound like and the problems you and others have described are the exception, not the rule.

Geo

#20158 - 07/13/03 08:41 PM Re: George, help! Bee buzzes after piano notes/chords
Sherwood Offline

OK guys, I hear you. And I 'm sure few people have heard more K2600s than you, George. But with all due respect, I have to say that my engineering background is making it very difficult for me to understand how this is a hardware problem when I only hear this on SOME of the piano programs, and NO other programs. And it is not a screaming buzz; it is relatively subtle.......but clearly there if you listen carefully for it: cyclical, slowly decaying out over several seconds. It is just hard for me to see how a hardware problem would be triggered by only these specific programs.

So, I hesitate to open up the K2600, or to ship it off for repairs. My guess is if I ship it off, it will get a clean bill of health.....and I'll be out the risk of shipping and the wear and tear that goes with these wonderful conveyor belts.

So, I am hanging here in limbo. Slowly going nuts!!

OK, George, I can open it up, but I don't really know what to look for. You would ship it off and ask for a complete checkout by an authorized repair service?

Thanks,
Mike

#20159 - 07/14/03 02:18 PM Re: George, help! Bee buzzes after piano notes/chords
geosync Offline

Mike,

Please send me an email with your phone number and I will call you. We'll get you going as easily as possible.

My email geosync@pacbell.net

Geo

#20160 - 07/16/03 10:38 AM Re: George, help! Bee buzzes after piano notes/chords
geosync Offline

Mike,

Any progress?

Geo

#20161 - 07/16/03 12:52 PM Re: George, help! Bee buzzes after piano notes/chords
Sherwood Offline

George,
Thanks so much for the phone call and the many helpful suggestions.

I am going to be buried for the next couple of weeks trying to finish up the remaining couple of tracks for a song. As soon as I get that done, I will turn my attention to the K2600.

Have a great vacation. It is overdue and well deserved. No cell phone!!

Talk to you later.
Mike

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online