Loc: Finland
Hello

I was on a classical music concert last night
and there the pianist played with Steinway
grand piano and I was just thinking if there
is any way I could have the Steinway piano
sound on my PSR9000. The KN6000 has a Steinway
grand piano sound and I sounded fantastic to
my ear. I would be thankful of all you advices.

Thank you!!!!

Micco

#201609 - 09/03/00 12:14 AM Re: Steinway & Sons
Micco Offline

Hello Uncle Dave!

All piano sounds are welcome for me, but still
I am looking for the Steinway sample. There
are many models and types of sounds that I am
looking for, but I have not been able to find
any. Where can I find samples?

Thank you Uncle Dave!

Micco

#201610 - 09/03/00 11:42 AM Re: Steinway & Sons
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Micco, I don't know if you have sampling abilities [sampler], but one of the best sample cd's [actually several] come from Spectrosonics, owned by Eric Persing[former sound designer at Roland]...Fran

#201611 - 09/04/00 11:04 PM Re: Steinway & Sons
Micco Offline

I must have some sampling abilities because
my PSR9000 has a sampler.

#201612 - 09/05/00 09:21 AM Re: Steinway & Sons
Clif Anderson Offline

Hi Micco

Before you invest in an expense sample CD, please realize that you might not end up with a useable piano sound. The PSR9000 can import .wav files, so you will be able to import samples in that format. (Better than using the PSR9000 to sample audio clips of pianos). The problem is that piano "samples" are "multi-samples", that is, (good) piano samples are made of many separate waveforms that are triggered at different respective key positions and velocities. It may be that the PSR9000 cannot handle the number of distinct waveforms required for a good Piano multisample. Check on this before you invest.

#201613 - 09/15/00 05:27 AM Re: Steinway & Sons
COMALite J Offline

Loc: Shreveport, LA, USA
Uncle Dave, you say Roland has the best acoustic piano samples? Have you heard (or, better yet, played) a Yamaha GT-series GrandTouch? It has a real (not “realistic” grand piano action (with hammers), and 30MB of ROM devoted to one piano sound (sampled from a Yamaha CF-IIIS 9' concert grand). The first model, the GT-1, cost $10k and was in a shape similar to a Clavinova CVP-600 (what I call a “fetus grand#148 . The one I heard felt and sounded so real that if I hadn“t known it was digital, I could not have determined that without opening the case or looking for the (well-hidden) power switch, reverb knob, and various jacks. It even recreates the sympathetic vibrations that occur when the damper or (to a lesser extent) sostenuto pedals are used.

While I’ve never heard one of these, the new GeneralMusic RealPianoPro (do I have that name right?) units might have the technology to beat the GrandTouch. They use physical modelling (a la Yamaha VL), not just samples. I believe a local store has one. I need to check it out. Has anyone here tried one of these? Opinions?

Granted, neither of these are Arranger Keyboards, so this may not be appropriate for this Forum. Maybe you just meant that the Rolands have the best piano sounds in an arranger keyboard. But it seems to me that Yamaha could easily make a PLG-150GT card to supplement their existing PLG-150PF card (which, as I understand it, basically has the same piano sounds as a P-80 or P-200), with the same 30MB CF-IIIS sample that the GT units have, that could plug into, say, a PSR-9000Pro (or an S-80). They could price it the same as the PF card, giving you a choice: dozens of great piano sounds (PF), or one awesome piano sound (GT).

Now that I’m on the PLG tangent, I say Yamaha should also replace the PLG-150DX with a PLG-150FB. The FB tone module can do anything the DX could do, and then add its incredible Formant Synthesis on top of that! Check out the demo song at Yamaha#146;s Synth site.

#201614 - 09/15/00 06:11 AM Re: Steinway & Sons
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
The Yamaha S80 has 4 different piano samples inside. One of the four is a steinway piano. Actually, it is the second sound. The first sound is the same piano one of you were just talking about. It is the handmade Yamaha. The other two pianos are other Yamaha sampled pianos
The Generalmusic piano is one I've been selling for 4 years now. The pro1 and pro2 differ mostly in the amount of polyphony and some effects. The samples used in this is a composite of four different samples being used to create one piano sound. They have put four piano samples into a computer in Italy and come out with what they call a "merged" piano sound. They have used a Fazio, and Yamaha a bozendorfer and I think a steinway as their source pianos. I like it a lot but at times the sound is not as warm as the Roland, Kurzweil and Yamaha newly sampled pianos. What is really nice on the pro 2 is 128 note polyphony. These pianos are now being distributed by Peavey here in the US so if you need to find one to try, you will need to find a Peavey Dealer.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, Ca.
(Retired 2021)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online