SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#201259 - 08/18/03 12:30 PM Re: Arrangers v. other keyboard types
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Pilot,
Can the sysex data be sent in any other way other than from MIDI thru a computer. Can they be stored in a small MIDI file (with no tracks) and loaded into the 740?
Starkeeper

#201260 - 08/18/03 04:45 PM Re: Arrangers v. other keyboard types
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
Hi Star

Never thought of that as I use my laptop. I'll put together some files and let you know what happens. Something should work as you can embed sysex into regular midi files. The only problem is that it will have to be done by hand as any program I have for sysex only generates .syx or similar files.

Bryan

#201261 - 08/18/03 09:28 PM Re: Arrangers v. other keyboard types
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
A few examples of some differences and some of the things I can do with my Motif that I cannot do at all or do quickly with my PSR2000 and / or my PA80:

Access raw samples so that I can add a guitar picking or fret noise sound to my acoustic guitar patches to add some realism.
In addition, I can assign these sounds by velocity so that they'll only sound in a certain velocity or pitch range. I can use 4 samples per voice then layer 4 voices into a performance. I can access the raw samples on the PA80, but I cannot edit with as much detail, although very good editing for an arranger.. maybe as good as any arranger out there. No capacity for this on the 2k.

I can sample with the Motif.. and to a lesser extent with my PA80 arranger.

With the Motif, assign many various controller parameters to: my mod wheel, my assignable knobs ( that can be controlled in real time ), or to a pedal or breathe controller.

Add a breathe or wind controller to the Motif to give a more real feel and sound to my wind instrument emulations ( works especially well on sax / horn flute sounds )

Add expansion boards with new sounds including physically modeled sounds to the motif.

Motif : Assign arpeggiations of any kind to custom made sounds from my Analog modeling board without using the internal arpeggiator. In other words the arp is built right into the sound with custom note lengths, timings, and scales.. and another arp can be assigned from the kbs main arpeggiator and can be varied back and forth in real time.

Better key feel on the Motif.

In short.. there are many differences for me ( including others that I haven't mentioned ) that make each type of board useful for me depending on what I want to do. I've gone the xg edit route with the 740 and 2k.. and yes..there is some decent editing available.. Still this is not comparable at all to the editing capabilities of a dedicated synth like the Motif, nor is it accessable in real time in the same way ( you are tioed to a computer with xg editing ). The PA80 has much more editing power than any of the Yamaha ararngers I've owned, but still doesn't compare to what I can do on the Motif..

AJ

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online