SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#201178 - 10/12/07 02:01 PM new Roland CM-30 cube as p.a.?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
yes there was a thread extolling this as a monitor, but was wondering about this unit as a p.a. in smaller venues (or better yet a pair of them..either as stereo setup or with one as monitor) anyone?

------------------
Miami Mo

#201179 - 10/12/07 02:04 PM Re: new Roland CM-30 cube as p.a.?
Dnj Offline

Mo......maybe cassp can give your some opinions on the CM30 he has one.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/CM-30/specs.html

#201180 - 10/12/07 02:46 PM Re: new Roland CM-30 cube as p.a.?
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Here is a similar offering from Mackie
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SRM150/

#201181 - 10/12/07 03:15 PM Re: new Roland CM-30 cube as p.a.?
keysvocalssax Offline

looks like we may have a new item for sz'ers to argue here? cm30 vs srm 150? should we take the price comp into consideration? you can get 2 rolands for $60 more than 1 mackie....

------------------
Miami Mo

#201182 - 10/12/07 03:38 PM Re: new Roland CM-30 cube as p.a.?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
I have a CM-30. Used it as a monitor, for which it sounds great, much better than a similar item by Yamaha (can't remember the model), but I wouldn't use it as a PA.

If you want something small for a small venue PA, consider the JBL Eon10 G2, lots if power, and good bass for a 10". I have one of those also. Email me if you're interested in either.

Glenn

#201183 - 10/12/07 04:24 PM Re: new Roland CM-30 cube as p.a.?
keysvocalssax Offline

Thanks, Glenn, I had an old Eon10 and sold it- not that i didn't like it, just didn't love it-- and have been using an older Carlsbro 12" kb amp w/ a little Behringer mixer on top. thought maybe having 2 of the Roland cubes would be an intriguing alternative to that, but maybe i'm hoping for too much from a small unit. I usually don't need a lot of volume, only a slight turn of the Carlsbro does it and if i even turn it a quarter,it's too loud. as far as bass, i don't play any dance music, only jazz/latin/standards/blues and as long as i get a nice full sound, i don't care about a big bass. bass.

------------------
Miami Mo

#201184 - 10/12/07 05:51 PM Re: new Roland CM-30 cube as p.a.?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Mo,
I sell alot of the CM-30's and many of my customers use them as mains. They are small but provide a very clean and usable sound level for small rooms. The power is 30watts per unit.
I would also suggest the Yamaha Stagepass 300 which has two 8" cabinets with a 150 watt per channel small mixer which can stay in one of the speakers or be mounted on a mic stand. Price for this system is around $550, the price for two CM-30's is around $400.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#201185 - 10/12/07 07:22 PM Re: new Roland CM-30 cube as p.a.?
keysvocalssax Offline

George, thanks..when i get back to Miami in November i need to head over to GC and/or Ash and demo both of those and more.. easy enough to do w/my 28.6 lb slimline E60. btw are you loading in 1.10 now and have they told you what's in it?

------------------
Miami Mo

#201186 - 10/12/07 07:31 PM Re: new Roland CM-30 cube as p.a.?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I just got home from GC - I bought a second CM-30. I plan to use them with the G70 as a mini PA and at other times as monitors. They are built like tanks and sound solid too. Even the young salesman who hooked it up to check for defects was impressed by the amount and quality of sound. These cubes are way better than any of the new Street Cubes that Roland is pushing; those are mostly underpowered mini-guitar amps. The CM-30 is a solid unit; one would be sufficient for a small audience of say 30-40, but a pair should be able to handle up to 100 people easily.

The sound is solid, with decent bass and good high end; a small sub-cabinet would make this unit rock unbelievably. I haven't had any need to run this box at top end, it's that strong. I have the channel and master volume set at about 1 o'clock; the bass at 1 also and treble at about 11 o'clock - it sounds great to me. I have mine attached to mic stand adapters; they snap on and off. When not on the stands, the adapters help tilt the cubes like monitors - very cool

As for the Mackie SRM 150 or even the Alesis 50, both are more expensive and have the same features. The Mackie boasts phantom power and 150 watts, but I wonder how that was calculated, as it has only one 5.25" coax speaker - way too many watts for that kind of speaker.

I was lucky to get mine as used returns; I paid under $200 for the pair - at that price I couldn't pass them up. Now I'm glad I didn't.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 10-13-2007).]

#201187 - 10/12/07 07:57 PM Re: new Roland CM-30 cube as p.a.?
keysvocalssax Offline

thanks cassp, sounds exciting, i'm getting an erection as we speak: that's 2 today..the other one was when dnj posted that vid of the girl kb player and i was anxiously waiting for her to kneebend just a bit more and turn forward. never happened so i got viditis interruptus, but now the thought of wrapping my hands around that lovely pair of CM-30's..aaaah. Hear that, George? cassp got 'em for $200 for the pair!..we're going to have fun negotiating i hope. I have an old GK amp with the double-sixes and the graphic EQ that all the singers in NYC used in the 80's for small rooms. powerful and clear, fantastic for vocals, but no matter how EQ'd doesn't really sound rich and full w/kb in it. Hope these 6.5 in cubes will improve on that 25 years later..

------------------
Miami Mo

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online