SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#201077 - 01/28/03 05:47 AM Re: Song Memorization and/or Playing by Ear (on the fly)
trtjazz Offline

" Quote From U Dave"
I've said many times, the only time that you truly "own" a performance is when you can do it from memory. You need ALL your concentration to "sell" a number, and if you are expending energy reading a chart ..... you are being DISTRACTED. It's a fact of life. Road maps, cheat sheets .... call them what you will, but leave them in the car, or on the floor. I'd rather flub a word or two than have my eyes glued (yeah, yeah .. even for a second!) to a page.
and little by little we are taking the musician OUT of the music.

Dave you and I sure agree on this philosophy. Every performance I have ever seen including great classical players, who are reading from charts.....technically perfect, but totally lacking in human interpretation and feeling. The emotional side of a performance if you will....way too busy concentrating on reading the chart.

Watch Perlman, or MA or Miduri play sometime....the orchestra players (who are amongest the best in the world)are all reading charts and the soloists are going from memory. Although in this instance, I do understand that an orchestra needs charts, to all be on the same page (note) at the same time. But it also sounds like it too, while the soloist is floating above it all, it's the emotion of their interpretation to me.

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#201078 - 01/28/03 06:39 AM Re: Song Memorization and/or Playing by Ear (on the fly)
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I have to admit that I have never given this topic much thought ... I do have the music (lead sheet/lyrics with chords/fake book copy/whatever) for a lot of the songs I perform sitting in front of me, and often I don't even look at it ... But after reflecting on this, I would have to agree that the best performances come from tunes that I don't have to be 'thinking' about the lyrics or chords... thanks ...

Terry ... I don't think it is the role of the orchestra player to 'interpret' his/her individual part ... The interpretation of the orchestration should come only from the conductor, and the audience should be able to feel that ... Also, the soloist wants no 'surprises' from the orchestra ... And, of course, the soloist should be soaring above the orchestra, letting us feel his/her interpretation of the piece, otherwise the soloist only becomes another orchestra member ... but many great classical artists give fabulous performances even if the music is in front of them ... I often wonder if they are actually reading it, or if it just a 'comfort' piece for them ...
I do agree however, that I do not think I've ever seen a 'pop' artist give a heartfelt rendition of a song lyric while reading it ...
t.

#201079 - 01/28/03 08:27 AM Re: Song Memorization and/or Playing by Ear (on the fly)
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
U.D.
Your point about thinking of the song as a play in your head was bang on.
If the "story line" is interesting, then lyrics are relatively easy to learn. That may be why I've always enjoyed doing Mark Knopler material. His poetry is really incredible.
The same can be said for Billy Joel, ie:"Piano Man", put yourself in the first person and be the story teller.
Very good point U.D.

#201080 - 01/28/03 10:52 AM Re: Song Memorization and/or Playing by Ear (on the fly)
trtjazz Offline

Tony,
That's why I said...."I understand the orchestra all need to be on the same page and hence the charts."

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#201081 - 01/28/03 10:57 AM Re: Song Memorization and/or Playing by Ear (on the fly)
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:
Tony,
That's why I said...."I understand the orchestra all need to be on the same page and hence the charts."

Terry .... gotcha ... we're together on this...
t.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online