SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#201029 - 10/04/04 07:08 PM Scanning software for sheet music?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Has anyone had success scanning sheet music into a midi file?

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#201030 - 10/05/04 08:48 AM Re: Scanning software for sheet music?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
That would be a challenge for software, but if you find such a thing, let me know, I could use software like that.
Starkeeper

#201031 - 10/05/04 09:36 AM Re: Scanning software for sheet music?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
There are a couple of scanning programs; one is connected with Sibelius notation software. The other (I can't remember the exact name) was from a company called ScanSoft, which has sold out to someone else. The demo ScanSoft program I used came in two or three versions, each one more powerful than the other. I used the least powerful and had decent success except for things like ties and other incidental marks. I understand the most powerful of the programs DID see and employ all the notation on the sheet music.

#201032 - 10/05/04 09:41 AM Re: Scanning software for sheet music?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Well lookie what I found:
http://www.musitek.com/smartscore.html

They have a downloadable demo, I'm going to give it a try and see if it works.

Price is $399.00 for Pro Version.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#201033 - 10/05/04 09:51 AM Re: Scanning software for sheet music?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
That's the one; it's a pretty powerful program.

#201034 - 10/05/04 09:36 PM Re: Scanning software for sheet music?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I have been using SmartScore 3 for quite some time and quite impressed with scanned the results.

I use this program to, relatively quickly, take an existing printed leadsheet (including notes, chords & lyrics) and have it transposed, and printed out in another key.

This does requires a little tweaking & editing of a few of the translated notes, chords, and/or lyrics of the the scanned music, but I'm very impressed overall because it saves a LOT of time of having to enter the music manuscript into the computer, manually from scratch (one note/chord & lyric word at a time). After SmartScore interpretes the scanned music, it only takes me about 10 minutes to clean up the few mis-interpreted notes/lyrics, vs taking up to an hour to enter each and evey note, lyric word, and chord into the computer manually.

My only complaint is that its not possible to alter/change the number of measures per line (system) from the original scanned page. I was advised by Musitek though that they are currently working to implement this feature in a future (next?) version.

With each subsequent release version of SmartScore, I continue to see improved accurate music recognition. Though I'm anxious to see continued feataure advancements, I am very happy with this program and think it's the best of its kind.

Scott

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online