SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#20083 - 08/07/02 11:35 AM K2500 Setups & Apreggiator please HELP!
Rapturemusic Offline

Loc: FFM
Hello there, can anyone help me concerning my K2500 (OS Version 3.01) Setups and Apreggiator Programming? I created some nice Apreggiated sounds, they are working as long as I keep MidiMode transmit Control to Local. But I want to playback the Apreggiated Setup via my PC Sequencer program (which is Cubase).. so I change the Midimods to MIDI, select midi channel 1 and try to play a few notes. but my Setups are completely messed up, I cannot playback those sounds via midi (externally) ( Anyone has a few tips and tricks for me? Thanks so much in advance!

Yours sincerely
Rapture

#20084 - 08/20/02 03:26 AM Re: K2500 Setups & Apreggiator please HELP!
maJ estY Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Germany
*gg* - I hope the admin does not think that I'm making prmotion for it, but you could have a look at the Bulletin Board on www.jordanrudess.com - these people surely can help you!!!

(To find out more about it check out my topic here in the Kurzweil chat!)

#20085 - 08/21/02 01:59 AM Re: K2500 Setups & Apreggiator please HELP!
bitdump3 Offline

Loc: Fano, Italy
The arpeggiator unfortunatly will olny respond to MIDI with the Local Keyboard channel on. It is part of the setup, to get the setups features via MIDI it has to use the Local Keyboard Channel On.

#20086 - 08/21/02 05:05 AM Re: K2500 Setups & Apreggiator please HELP!
Rapturemusic Offline

Thanks for the reply! So I guess I have to buy a synth with a REAL arpeggiator, eh? :-) Like the Nord Lead 3 or Korg Karma / Triton Studio Series? What's the best choice for mighty cool Arpeggiator sounds and options?

#20087 - 08/22/02 04:47 AM Re: K2500 Setups & Apreggiator please HELP!
bitdump3 Offline

Loc: Fano, Italy
Well don't confuse the MIDI Local on off with the Kurz Local Keyboard Channel. They are very diffrent things. The point of the Local keyboard channel is to allow you to use all the Kurzweil Setup specific features that are not standard MIDI protocol. You send one channel in and it plays the whole setup. It is there to do exactly what your asking.

Once you get the Local Keyboard stuff down it works very well. Just set the MIDI mode to MIDI and set the Local Keyboard channel to 1. Create a track in Cubase that sends to the K on channel 1 and your all set. Not really that bad.

Accually my favorite Arppegiator is the Kurzweil XM1 but the box is not for the light hearted as it packs a awful lot into a tiny display. Still it has more controlable options than most but it is really a midi programmers box and not big on instant gratification. It is has three arpeggiators in it that are either independant or can be cascaded (out put of one arp feeds the next). Most every parameter can be controller realtime via MIDI. It also has more advanced ribbon note playing features. It is a pretty cool little controller.

The Korg arp in the triton is quite nice too.

There are some cool software arps out there though but I have long forgotten where to find them.

Never really checked out the Nord Arppeggitor so I can't comment on that one.

Heck I still get good use from the arpeggiator on my old sixtrax so I guess it just depends what works for ya.

#20088 - 08/22/02 05:23 AM Re: K2500 Setups & Apreggiator please HELP!
Rapturemusic Offline

Well.. thanks for any help that you can give me... But.. I really tested out all configuration combinations that are available within Kurzweil / Cubase... Local On + Local Keybd. Chn 1... Local Off + Chn Off.. Local On + Local Keybd Chn off, Local Off + Keybd Chn Off... it does not work.. the arpeggiated setup which I programmed only works on the first layer (and thats an important point which I forgot to tell ya)..... the first layer plays the arpeggiated sound, and Cubase records exactly what the arp is playing, into the midi track so that I can see what the arp is doing.. the arp even affects all other Synth which I got.. nice feature, but I dont want it all the time and have NO idea how to disable it WITHOUT disabling the whole setup or arp in my K2500... *sigh*... Well, the other layers are some things like strings and resonance saw wave.. so that the whole layer sounds much greater instead of only using a one layered arp'ed setup ... as said, Cubase understands the first Layer/midi channel.. but ignores the rest... I have to put "Local On"... but thats not the intention when you want to control lotsa synth with K2500 as master keyboard.. ACK.. (hope you could follow me on this one ) ... Yeah I'm talking too much. See Ya!

#20089 - 08/22/02 05:30 AM Re: K2500 Setups & Apreggiator please HELP!
Rapturemusic Offline

One more thing... Cubase records the notes which the arp is processing AND the notes which I'm pressing on the keyboard to initiate the arp.. but of course I dont want the latter one !!! .. Sigh.. Maybe I should really try out some other synth with arps.. or I should set the K to Local On (Midi off) and record the setup as big .WAV files ... how discomforting is that, eh... ;(

#20090 - 09/06/02 02:37 PM Re: K2500 Setups & Apreggiator please HELP!
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
You have to disable "echo" to all channels.
Now this is how it is called in Cakewalk/Sonar as I don't use cubase I have no idea how it is called in cubase, then to avoid the arp affects the other synth's , just make sure they are not receiving midi data on channel one.
Are you using a midi patchpay??? or did you hook midi/in/out/in etc....

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online