SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 12 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12 >
Topic Options
#200760 - 11/01/07 12:53 AM Re: Your HOPES & DREAMS for TYROS 3?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Real DrawBars that also act as part volumes when not in Organ mode. (As per Korg & Roland)

A good screen, the present T2 Screen is very poor.

Style Re-Voicing transpose on the keyboard.

Onboard Speakers.

Keep it Silver.

#200761 - 11/01/07 12:56 AM Re: Your HOPES & DREAMS for TYROS 3?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Mike
AWM uses 12 bit sound samples, AWM2 (2nd Generation) uses 16 bit sound samples.
Main problem with Yamaha Arrangers is the output sound system which gives the voices a compressed CD like sound.
When Tyros 2 was launched its SA voices were way in advance of the Motif line, and the Articulation voices on the new Motif are a variation on the Tyros 2 SA voices.
As to Roland, have a listen to the new Atelier Organ range as they have a vastly improved sound engine which will most likely be used in Roland’s new Arrangers. (The sound engine in the existing Atelier Organs is pretty much the same as in Roland’s existing Arrangers.
As to Tyros 2 being cutting edge when it was released, then No, but it did add new sounds and features that allowed it to stay up the top with other manufactures Arrangers.
Hope this helps

Bill

#200762 - 11/01/07 02:26 AM Re: Your HOPES & DREAMS for TYROS 3?
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
........Yamaha uses the AWM2 (Advanced Wave Memory 2) on the Motif line of keyboards which includes the Motif XS. The Tyros/2 uses AWM (Notice no "2") wave memory. I have searched high and low for the differences between two i.e. AWM and AWM2 but I'm still not sure what they are. Maybe it has to do with the sampling rate when recording the different samples, or perhaps they are longer samples, or perhaps even recorded at a higher bit rate, or perhaps all three plus other additional reasons. Maybe Yamaha doesn't want to divulge the differences either because it is a trade secret. But whatever the differences are they are very noticable. One fine example that has been attested to is the differences in the Drum samples. The Tyros/2 drums are flat and lifeless by comparison. .........

I searched the net for 3 minutes... found this... http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar98/articles/yamaharange.html?print=yes that states that AWM2 was present in 1998, and if I remember well AWM was the thing they touted when i was shopping for a keyboard in 1994.

here, http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,,CNTID%25253D2007%252526CTID%25253D203500%252526CNTYP%25253DPRODUCT,00.html they state that AWM uses 16 bit samples, instead the 12bit usual thing.

My sense is that AWM is a sampling/compression/synth engine that every time is used to a percentage of its potential according to marketing needs and model placement. To us, it is of no use what the name of the technology is, we must care about how it sounds.

I don't care if the Motif line has the Pope's seal on it, if it sounds better than the competition I will buy one.

#200763 - 11/01/07 05:20 AM Re: Your HOPES & DREAMS for TYROS 3?
JonPro Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
76 76 76 76 76 76 !!!!!!!!!!!!
Boy O Boy !!!!!!!!
There has been an awful lot said in this topic - Good stuff. There seems to be certain undeniable messages here - good solid messages from a gathering that knows its stuff and .... when Yami doesn't listen (to their own gathered fraternity) it means dollars (heaps of them)to their opposition all the way to the bank and a further erosion of the Yami fan club. Such a pity. Yes the 9000PRO is not a perfect k'board (is there such a beast? I don't think so). However I love to use it (professionally, it's robust and super reliable) - it is very predictable within its design boundaries. It performs well and still raises the praises from an admiring crowd (most of whom do not follow the latest and the greatest that technology has to offer. They just like to enjoy.) The message to Yami seems to be that they produced the 9000PRO and yes, because of its spec, it attracted its critics, but at the end of the day the k'board works and works well, kept within its limits (which for me, satisfies the vast majority of situations). Take what you have learned, what you now know and step out and produce a board that will stem the flow of "free" dollars into your opposition’s bank accounts. The opportunity is there and you have the "know how" and the experience to seize it and succeed. GO FOR IT. You won’t be disappointed. Neither will your (shrinking) fan club. Here endeth the lesson.
Jon

#200764 - 11/01/07 06:00 PM Re: Your HOPES & DREAMS for TYROS 3?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by JonPro:
76 76 76 76 76 76 !!!!!!!!!!!!

There seems to be certain undeniable messages here

But watch Ian deny them...

#200765 - 11/01/07 08:03 PM Re: Your HOPES & DREAMS for TYROS 3?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
But watch Ian deny them...

They merely remind me of that wonderful and nearly finished home keyboard, the Roland G70.

Leaving products, like the G70, unfinished, has been a Roland hallmark lately...and not so lately...it's predecessor, the G1000 had unfixed "bugs" as well.

On a clear day you can still hear the owners whine.

#200766 - 11/02/07 04:20 AM Re: Your HOPES & DREAMS for TYROS 3?
ianmcnll Offline

Jon,

I would concede that 76 notes might be more advantageous to a player who wants to use the arranger as a digital piano, especially for solo pieces.

Still, there are several members on SZ, IUD (Illustrious Uncle Dave) and DNJ (Donny)for example, who manage exceptionally well with 61 notes and still manage to play piano over a SMF or play LH bass.

They were clever enough to adapt, and consequently wind up with using an arranger(in this case a PA-800)with a much smaller footprint and an easier(lighter) to manage instrument for transporting.

Personally, I feel the small number of players who need 76 keys will easily be absorbed by other manufacturers.

It is my view that Yamaha won't base their marketing on the opinions of a few guys on a forum (I don't see Roland doing it either).

Yoda yoda yoda...

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 11-02-2007).]

#200767 - 11/02/07 03:59 PM Re: Your HOPES & DREAMS for TYROS 3?
JonPro Offline

Ian,
Much of what you say shows wisdom and holds water. Yes, and IUD and DNJ do manage well with only 61 keys. One makes do with what one has (and needs). But, I too came from the class of 61. It was in fact the comments from the likes of IUD (when he owned a 9000PRO), that encouraged me to step out and go for the upgrade. I have never looked back. It’s great if you want to solo piano, (I love doing solo piano) but with the rest of the technology that this machine and similar ones like it offers, I very rarely do solo piano work. 76 keys gives me the extra real estate, the better key feel and what seems to be the superior quality of production build (robustness) that provides me with the technical edge that I have not found 61 keys can provide. It provides me with the additional capability and confidence which builds the creativity for the moment. For what I do, I would never (well hardly ever) consider going back to 61 – it is way too constrictive (for all the reasons mentioned). That is why I have kept the 9000PRO for so long, adding the extra board or two, USB port, memory and the like, even though I am always looking at an upgrade alternative (currently the Roland G70 or Korg P2x). I am so thankful that that the likes of Roland and KORG continue to have their priorities in focus for us “small number of players who need 76 keys”.

Jon

#200768 - 11/02/07 04:35 PM Re: Your HOPES & DREAMS for TYROS 3?
ianmcnll Offline

I must say, Jon, that Yamaha do make some seemingly strange decisions...I thought the PSR-9000 pro was a great keyboard, even though I feel it wasn't developed and supported as much as it could have been.

If the rumors about Roland's lack of a G70 replacement are true, then all that will represent the 76 note arranger will be the E-60...but who knows for sure.

The Korg PA-2X Pro may end up the only arranger (among the big three)for those wanting a TOTL arranger with 76 keys.

Ian

#200769 - 11/02/07 07:03 PM Re: Your HOPES & DREAMS for TYROS 3?
JonPro Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
If the rumors about Roland's lack of a G70 replacement are true, then all that will represent the 76 note arranger will be the E-60...but who knows for sure.

The Korg PA-2X Pro may end up the only arranger (among the big three)for those wanting a TOTL arranger with 76 keys.

Ian, please, no death wishes or prophecies here!!! The advent of a “new” model to replace last year’s model (car and clothing market fashion philosophy) should not be necessary (in the musical instrument field) if the product’s base concept and design is forward thinking enough. The product should be allowed to develop and be supported through its life cycle (whatever that is), and for support to continue for a realistic period beyond. Look at the Motif in all its variants (the line has been around for some time). Just because the 9000PRO is no longer developed or supported by Yami, does not mean that it suddenly becomes any less of an instrument than it was when it was in its supported life cycle. I am amazed (and encouraged) by the number of (Pro) boards (from other manufactures) that are “old” (not of the current generation or so) and still supported by the manufacturer, and used by the people who “love them”.

Look at the Motif, and the T2. The base tools and components are all there for Yami to do its stuff and produce a “76 key” arranger. All it takes is a "champion for the cause" at the right level of management to be raised up, and the product will be born.

Jon

Page 6 of 12 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online