SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#200693 - 02/08/05 11:06 AM Roland G70 reviews,,, How can they be so different???
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
How can Roland release a product that took 4 years to come out and be so inferior?

I've read reviews that said the G70 sounds like crap, then another review says they sounds are incredible,

one says the compressor settings are awful and the new op system will fix it, another says it works, another says it does nothing.

I remember the Tyros coming out first and everybody was saying that this was the best sounding arranger period.

I listen to the demos, and read reviews, then I got one,

Yes it did sound very good, but then I played it against my SD1, and was amazingly dissapointed,
they bottom end was boomy and holllow compared to the sound of the thick full SD1,

The drums were very dull, no real pow or life to them, compared to the SD1,

Then I tried the vocal input, wow this was by far the worst I've ever used, the mic input is so hard to get to a level of usefulness, never mind the vocalizer that clipped at any change in volume,

It took me weeks to get it to a point were it was acceptable. the SD1 I had up and running in 10 minutes. Let me add I use my arrangers in band and solo situations, in solo situations the Tyros is very good, but in a band it sounds too much like a lightweight wanna be, (no offense)

Now I still feel the Tyros is a great board, but it seems to me not all reviews are to be taken as gold, I also have a PA1xpro and I think this board is great but, it seems to have styles and sounds that are designed to have stuff added to it, no very busy, which is not a bad thing but at least let us decide how busy we would like a style to be.

I have owned a i3, G800, em2000, PA80, X1, PSR8000, X1, WK8, VA7, SD1, Tyros, and a PA1xpro I think if I had to select the top 2, it would be the SD1 for sure and then a three way tie, VA7/Tyros/PA1xpro

So I think if I could actually find one to try would be nice

sorry for the rant

#200694 - 02/08/05 11:57 AM Re: Roland G70 reviews,,, How can they be so different???
BlkNotes Offline

Dear Frankieve;

I totally agree with you about the G-70 controversy ( see the G-70 vs. Pa1x pro thread from later today). I find it to be very puzzling. I too would like to try the KB in order to determine for myself 100% what the conclusion is.

Do you not find the styles in the SD1 to be simplistic?? I find the ergonomics of the SD1 unusual, and I don't like the small buttons ( many with no ilumination) I do however like the authentic sounds & relalistic sounding drums.

I do agree that when one changes between variations ( from 1 to 4 ) on the Korg the styles do not differ greatly on many, but not all styles. I believe the same thing is true for the SD1.

I suppose that personal preferences always play a role in ones choice. But I still find it hard to believe that peoples opinions vary so widely on the g-70. One would presume that we should all be at least in general agreement on sound/style quality. But this doesn't seem to be the case.

Regards;
SCP

#200695 - 02/08/05 12:05 PM Re: Roland G70 reviews,,, How can they be so different???
frankieve Offline

I think the major plus of the SD1 is the percussion and bass, this seems to drive all the varations and styles so that they have more life

#200696 - 02/08/05 11:00 PM Re: Roland G70 reviews,,, How can they be so different???
Roel Offline

Frankieve,

I guess this was my 'problem' too :
The SD1 standing next to the G.. !!

Still love the SD1 VERY MUCH !!

#200697 - 02/09/05 04:52 AM Re: Roland G70 reviews,,, How can they be so different???
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
sorry for the rant

Frankivie,

Keep ranting, your making perfect sense to me and I'm very interested in your opinions on this matter. It actually strikes a chord (pardon the pun) with me. I have a Tyros, but I've been looking for something "A Notch Higher". So I think we are on the same wavelength, but what the heck are we looking for?

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#200698 - 02/09/05 06:40 AM Re: Roland G70 reviews,,, How can they be so different???
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Ketron samples all of their solo instruments in emptied "bomb shelters" left over from WWII. Apparently the acoutics are tremendous,but Roland does not have access to the same type of bomb shelter's ............

Seriosly though, the drums on the SD1 are syncipated samples and until other company's start following this, Ketron will always have an edge in the drum department.

It's all vanilla & chocolate.....

#200699 - 02/09/05 07:12 AM Re: Roland G70 reviews,,, How can they be so different???
frankieve Offline

That has alot to do with it, but a good portion of the Ketron styles have just regular drums, which sound very musical, it seems instead of having 55 different drum sets, Ketron went with fewer but better, and just to let you all know, I very much doubted getting a Ketron because alot of people on the forum said they were unreliable and not very supportive, but Dano convinced me and it was the best decision I made, then my worst was selling it thinking newer boards were better

If all manufactures, would use bigger samples and more programming and come up with 2 or 3 variations of a sound instead of 100 with 90% being a waste of chip space, we would have something

[This message has been edited by frankieve (edited 02-09-2005).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online