SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#200603 - 08/15/06 07:23 PM Re: Faking Performance
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
WOW ... As one of the "Tonys" I made the list !!! ......
t.

#200604 - 08/15/06 09:27 PM Re: Faking Performance
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
Wow.. One of my first post made a come back! I posted this when I first got my keyboard and I began loading midi files... I thought WOW! You don't even have to play the thing! However, that's not why I'm in it... I love the hobby and I call it a hobby and will never forget that.. I have a great job and I love recoding my music at nights and on the weekends... It's a great hobby to have and I enjoy ever minute of it.. Hope arranger boards get better and better.. I'm a composer most of all and arrangers are magic.. Thanks Don for putting me on the list!

My anthem for all us minstrels was "can't stop playing" I made this for all of us folks driven by creating tunes.. Or is just me? http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/01/default.cfm?bandID=313920&content=music

One thing I'd like to address is I could not play my stuff live, at least it is my stuff.. i'd be lucky to make it playing the right handed parts... Recording is cool you can go back.. live, no going back... If I want to have my "created by me" playing, then so be it.. At least I'm not stealing..

Define an arranger Keyboard..
Recreate..
Recreate and embellish
Create.
Wish one is more valid?

I spend hours upon hours getting it right.. It ain't live.. So my hats off to all the live players.. However, I don't gig... Yet..

by the way, if I do, it will be in a band.. Have follks ready..

[This message has been edited by beachbum (edited 08-15-2006).]

#200605 - 08/15/06 10:18 PM Re: Faking Performance
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I think all of us agree without a doubt ... faking playing is so lame. And most audiences would realize it eventually. But using a SMF as a backing track to perform over makes perfect sense for many acts. If you perform over then that is all that matters. My band does "Hella Good" by No Doubt that has a lot of pulsing electronica bass lines that I couldn't play live. So I sequenced them and play that with a click track to the drummer live on stage. But I never pretend to play the lines I am not playing. There are times when using SMF files makes perfect sense. Just don't prend you are actually playing them but perform over them by all means. That is what MIDI technology is great for.

I'm sure that no-one using an arranger keyboard for live gigs pretends to play the automated backing, just the right hand improvisation. That would amount to the same thing. You might find the rare case like the one Scott mentioned but I really think people like that are the tiny minority. Someone in the audience would wake up to it eventually and call the bluff. I'm not concerned that someone with SMFs is going to take jobs away from my band. It aint gonna happen. So don't waste time worrying about it. If you are a good performer then that will be obvious to the audience.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 08-15-2006).]

#200606 - 08/15/06 11:04 PM Re: Faking Performance
Flavie Offline

Loc: Ontario - Canada
Hi everyone!

My wife and I are currently performing onboard one of the most exclusive cruise ships in the world. Other then our duo, the entertainment department consists also of a 4 piece show band, three professional singers and a stage manager. The show band and the singers are all highly trained professional musicians and even so, they are using click tracks to complete the sound of the band with strings, horns and many other sounds. The guests never notice that and all are very happy with the result.
Personally, I use styles for the cocktail hour and half of the pre dinner set. For the dancing sets always midi files with my piano, keyboard, virtual sax and my wife’s acoustic guitar and light percussion instruments.
Best regards to everyone, and thanks Uncle Dave for your input!
Flav. www.fantasyband.ro

#200607 - 08/15/06 11:40 PM Re: Faking Performance
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
Well said Craig.
Being a singer I totally agree with you.

Cousin Ken

#200608 - 08/16/06 07:23 AM Re: Faking Performance
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I miss Uncle Dave. Thanks for re-posting his comments Donny.

Eddie

#200609 - 08/16/06 07:43 AM Re: Faking Performance
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by btweengigs:
I miss Uncle Dave. Thanks for re-posting his comments Donny.

Eddie

Eddie ....UD is alive and well & off to other musical ventures in the teaching field....I'll see him at my wifes big 50th birthday bash this week...
I'll pass along the message....

#200610 - 08/16/06 08:14 AM Re: Faking Performance
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Flavie:
Hi everyone!

My wife and I are currently performing onboard one of the most exclusive cruise ships in the world. Other then our duo, the entertainment department consists also of a 4 piece show band, three professional singers and a stage manager. The show band and the singers are all highly trained professional musicians and even so, they are using click tracks to complete the sound of the band with strings, horns and many other sounds. The guests never notice that and all are very happy with the result.
Personally, I use styles for the cocktail hour and half of the pre dinner set. For the dancing sets always midi files with my piano, keyboard, virtual sax and my wife’s acoustic guitar and light percussion instruments.
Best regards to everyone, and thanks Uncle Dave for your input!
Flav. www.fantasyband.ro

Flavie great website I enjoyed your pics & videos.....reminds me of my Cruise ship days 25 yrs ago with my 50's/60's show band I also mixed it up using an array of SMF & live for the big shows in the main room & just the arranger styles & vocals for the small cocktail rooms on ship.....great life!! After a few seasons & hurricanes I switched back to having my feet on land again

Enjoy

#200611 - 08/16/06 12:48 PM Re: Faking Performance
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hi, Flavie...nice Taylor...been looking at that model!

Russ

#200612 - 08/16/06 01:33 PM Re: Faking Performance
Flavie Offline

Loc: Ontario - Canada
Hi Dnj and Captain Russ,
Thank you for your kind appreciations! Well, I guess we are getting there as well. We’ve been traveling the world together for the past 9 years and now, we feel like settling down in our new country – Canada. I am really looking forward to begin a new life that will start with the end of this contract.
Good luck to all of you!
Flav.

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online