Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#200573 - 08/14/06 09:26 AM Re: Faking Performance
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by beachbum:
thanks to all the vocal effects you can sound like the next American Idol

I agree, keep it real... BTW, just what are those vocal effects?

#200574 - 08/14/06 11:16 AM Re: Faking Performance
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by DNJ:
Using SMF w/lyrics/score, custom or commercial is a big part & very strong feature of using an arranger KB.... Lip syncing, Air guitaring, fake playing & singing is part of the show in many big acts all over the world . . . BUT they love the Show because its entertaining, Looks good, & Sounds good & that's the bottom line. . . I find Purist attitudes boring sorry.

Donny: My attitude has nothing to do with being a purist, but merely holding the standards of musicial honesty and integrity. Please watch this 'must see':

WMV (video) clip

of which clearly demonstrates what I so disrespect! This video was sent to SZ member Heikki Kahkola (aka the wolf) by purported some pro musician entertainer by the name of Johnny, in Silkborg, Dennmark. Accompying the video clip, Johnny wrote this:

"Hello again

The video was taken saturday in Silkeborg
I did not play anything I faked to your midi
and waughh people liked it..

greetings..

Johnny"

Not only did this guy (without permission rip off Heikki's midi file song performance), but had the nerve to attempt to give his audience the impression he was actually playing it live too.

Scott

#200575 - 08/14/06 11:59 AM Re: Faking Performance
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Despite the well-thought-out responses, we have to keep in mind that they are all coming from people that play arranger keyboards. I'm sure that if this were a non-arranger keyboard forum, you'd get quite a different set of opinions. Who'd be right? Nobody. Let's be honest. We're all constantly trying to justify our actions, validate our approach to music, even when nobody gives a damn. You want the truth? Name your ten favorite keyboard players. How many play arranger keyboard? But back to the original question. Are you faking it? The answer....some are, some aren't. If your intent is to deliberately deceive, whether or not ENTERTAINMENT is your goal, then yes, you are faking it. Of course, you don't need an arranger keyboard to do that, any old KB will do. So for me, "faking it" is 10% action and 90% intent. As a pilot, am I faking it when I shoot a perfect approach (in weather) with my very sophistocated auto-pilot? Do I get credit for operating the hell out of my auto-pilot? My passengers think so . The plane owner without an auto-pilot thinks differently. Soooo, tell me what answer you want, I'll tell you which forum to visit.

chas

#200576 - 08/14/06 12:37 PM Re: Faking Performance
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Chas said "Name your ten favorite keyboard players."

Not in any order:
Uncle Dave
Donny
Scott
Gary
Eddie
Fran
Al
AJ
DanO
Nick
Frank
Hank
Tom
Semi
All the Tonys
Eric
Robert
Flavie
Mike
Craig
Dorantes
Genesys
John
Peter
Paul
Mary
KF
KFC
Squeakster
Spalding
McGregor
Starkeeper
Starship
Vadim
Esh
Glen
Rikki
Dikki
Tikki
Tim
Lou
Jorgen
Bob Gelman
Dennis
Ian
Taike
Wolfie
Jerry
Terry
Chas
Charles
Charlie
Chuck
Chony
Cousin Ken
Mr. Ed
Mr. Fred
Freddie
Fredrick
Angelo (all of them)
Notlos
Dreamer
Tyrosman
Russ
NIGEL
Pose
Miden
Jimmy
Bebop
BBum
Boo
Bo
Bah
28 more guys you don't know, and 37 who I DO know and can't think of off the top of my head.
Wait, you said 10. I know I've left a lot of them out, but ALL these guys play arrangers.

DonM

I'm really old, and the rest of the names will appear in my brain as soon as I hit submit.

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 08-16-2006).]

#200577 - 08/14/06 12:38 PM Re: Faking Performance
MrEd Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:

Donny: My attitude has nothing to do with being a purist, but merely holding the standards of musicial honesty and integrity. Please watch this 'must see':

WMV (video) clip

What Keyboard is that ?

Its human-accompaniment feature really lacks!

#200578 - 08/14/06 12:46 PM Re: Faking Performance
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
DonM don't you think it's bad enough having X Factor and American Idol without turning Synthzone into a contest...
Everyone has a different favourite player on here because each individuals taste in music is different. Why don't we all just appreciate each other for a change for what we all post for others to listen to and leave it at that?
Some players also sing, others don't or can't....

#200579 - 08/14/06 12:51 PM Re: Faking Performance
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Craig, my point was I like ALL the arranger players. No contest at all. Trying to lighten it up not tighten it up, my friend.
Besides, you're on the list!
:}
Maybe I'd better delete if it's going to cause a fuss. There are more than enough of those already.
DonM

#200580 - 08/14/06 01:14 PM Re: Faking Performance
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
DonM, no need to delete. I think most of us got it. In fact, I appreciate those among us that don't take ourselves too seriously. Heck, even I don't believe half of what I say .

chas

PS. love the reference to the brain clicking on after the fact....happens to me quite regularly these days.

#200581 - 08/14/06 02:35 PM Re: Faking Performance
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
mmm...usually I stay away from these " sensitive" topics but I go on a holiday so what the h'ck.

I think it is a non issue.
It doesn't matter at all whether you are faking, playing real time, playing partly realtime or whatever.
You are there to entertain your audience, because that's where they paid their money for. No matter how you do it!

You don't perform for the maybe "one" musician who "might" be in the audience.

Personally I prefer any full live band over any live playing arranger keyboardist and I prefer any live playing keyboardist over a midiplayer, that's not the issue... but there's a good reason why some dj's are doing very well.. They have a good show!
(and are payed extremely well)

This is my personal opinion so it is not an attack to anybody..

Fred

(I really love DON's comment )

#200582 - 08/14/06 03:21 PM Re: Faking Performance
drdalet Offline

Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
Faking is never good.
It doesn't become better if you use the word "playbacking" for it, but the reasons you want to do that are different. If you are recording a videoclip fi your "playbacking" has a sensible purpose - if you pretend playing while you let the keyboard play a midifile without any contribution to it (like doing a great dance ) I would call it "faking".
If you use a midifile and still play along with it - for instance on another keyboard - you are also performing.
There are performances who interact with midifiles - changing the result with realtime actions on stage. That is performing too!
But if you play a midifile and PRETEND you are playing... I would call that faking, even when you made the midifile yourself.

If I play Love Boat I use multipads to add to my playing because I cannot play a countermelody at the same time as I do the main melody. But I am still performing because I play the main melody. And it is even risky, because if I press the wrong padbutton (or my timing is wrong) I am in a lot of trouble. (I use all 4 pads for the countermelody)
of course I programmed the multipads, but people think it is part of the style.
Of course some people think I programmed the style as well ..... I wish I did!!

[This message has been edited by drdalet (edited 08-14-2006).]

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online