SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#200563 - 11/27/02 05:40 AM Re: Faking Performance
cam8neel Offline

Loc: Providence, RI USA
UD,

Thank you. I couldn't have said it any better myself.

Ang

#200564 - 11/27/02 05:52 AM Re: Faking Performance
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
What if you don't like the styles on your arranger. You can with some effort make your own but since Yamaha for instance don't really encourage you to do that it gets difficult. So you use Band-in-a-Box or Jammer to generate a few extra styles. Is that cheating? I don't think so, especially not for the solo performer. As Uncle Dave says, we're making music and anything that adds to the performance is always welcome.

#200565 - 11/27/02 07:10 AM Re: Faking Performance
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
We can always count on good insight from the "players" on this board ... good job
... I'l add my cent and a half
UD ...."So many times at weddings you'll hear 4 or 5 fast, modern tunes in a row and only a handful of barefoot, beer-drinking girls are dancing. Then a slow standard comes on and the floor FILLS up! Does the entertainer follow that with another slow one? Usually no. They change gears again and lose MOST of the dance floor.
Idiot behavior. Give 'em what they like."

Man ... were you at our office 'holiday' party last Friday nite?!? ... That's EXACTLY what was happening ... I have some respect for DJ's because there are some who can really work a crowd ... But these 2 guys were nothing more than CD spinners, and as long as they kept a certain 5 young ladies on the floor, nothing else mattered ... and when they DID play a ballad, or even some of the 'older' RnR, the floor was packed ... but then ...?!?!... back to the 'barefoot 5'
.."I see nothing wrong with playing YOUR instrument to the capacity you are able, along with accompaniments by either live musicians, midi tracks or arranger patterns.
I see no difference in the validity of the performance."
Again.. right on .... after working with a "General Business" band for 26 yrs, and then moving to a different state, I had to take a different approach to playing 'gigs' (there's that word UD!!!) ... In fact I didn't play out for about 7 years ... When I started again I cut down to solo work, playing accoustic piano and using a Roland drum machine as back up to my vocals...
Then, in '92 I bought my first 'arranger' .. a kn1000 .... It took me quite a while to accept the fact that the kb was providing so much background ... I wrestled with the "am I playing or is it the kb" thing for some time ... And the I came to the realization that people were paying me to ENTERTAIN!!! .. Whether I did it with a kb, spun discs, stood on my head and played 10 instruments at one time, IT DIDN"T MATTER, as long as they were entertained and had a good time ...

Scott, I agree that as a performer, playing LIVE, utilizing all our talents and all the facilities of our kb creates a lot of energy and excitement ... but I think sometimes thatis more for the performer than the audience ... Don't get me wrong, I think the audience feels and reacts to the energy we create, but can they appreciate what it takes for us to do it?? ... especially in larger crowds, I tend to doubt it ....

As for midis... Well I think the arrangement for certain songs is what the crowd is looking for and will respond to, so there are some tunes that I will use midis for ... However, in small venues, I have no problem taking an otherwise 'highly orchestrated' tune, and cutting it down to a trio or quartet style, played 'on the fly' ....

Whatever our personal situation, I believe each of us has to feel that, however we do it, we are giving the customer what they are paying for, and take great satisfaction that we are able to do that...
And all be Thankful for the talents given to us...
... just keep making beautiful music ...
t.

#200566 - 11/27/02 07:26 AM Re: Faking Performance
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
in small venues, I have no problem taking an otherwise 'highly orchestrated' tune, and cutting it down to a trio or quartet style, played 'on the fly' ....

Good point. I also think it's a good idea for sequence users to "thin out" sequences for smaller parties too. Most of the time, I like to strip the horns and guitar parts, so it's a nice, small combo sound that leaves me plenty of room to comp on the changes.
I have some thick ones and some thin ones of the same title .... same arragement, just smaller files . Makes for a more "logical" approach to a more intimate sound.

Final point - Sequences, arrangers, whatever ......... they ALL need the human element to make them shine. To paraphrase another member ....( )

Shine on.......

#200567 - 11/27/02 03:27 PM Re: Faking Performance
Lou Y Offline

Loc: NY USA
There is so much that can be said on this subject. I'll try to point out my own feelings as well as problems...
My entire career in music consisted of singing. Yes the front man I was and loved every minute of it. We opened for many big acts such as Billy Joel to Stewart. Was on the road quite a bit during the 70s and 80s. The nineties started building my own little studio, as bands were too hard to keep together. (As you all know)
Today I enjoy writing, recording and playing my own material but I can't play well at all. (Really). Most of the instruments in my studio consist of KBs and sound modules that create movement, which aid me in my writing. I respect and envy many of my fellow members who can play well, and I know there are many of you.
So... my problem is, that I would love to play out, even a very small gig, but the only way I could do that is to utilize midis that I create. I would be able to add some live additions though. So why don't I do it.... Well one reason I feel that I would be selling myself a little short and would not want to be looked at like some out there look at us playing arranger keyboards. Please feel free to voice your thoughts.
Regards to all...Lou

#200568 - 11/27/02 03:34 PM Re: Faking Performance
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Lou,
I wouldn't worry about how you are perceived by the public. 95% of them do not know the difference, whether you are playing live, using midi files or using the arranger functions. Do whatever is necessary for you to do the show, but still inject yourself into it.
DonM

#200569 - 11/27/02 03:52 PM Re: Faking Performance
Lou Y Offline

Don, Thanks for your imput. I know your out there and know what they expect. Is it really like that on a small job?
Lou

#200570 - 11/27/02 10:36 PM Re: Faking Performance
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Look at the "American Idol" .... all they did was sing, and someone payed them big bucks to do it ! The public is comfortable with singers out front. Speech is easy to identify with, but not everyone can play an instrument ! get out there and SING !

#200571 - 11/27/02 10:49 PM Re: Faking Performance
Lou Y Offline

UD,
Thanks, maybe I should stop worring about how the crowd would except, and rely on what I feel I have to offer.
Lou

#200572 - 08/14/06 09:16 AM Re: Faking Performance
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online