SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#200506 - 04/26/02 02:17 AM Why are Pro keyboardists in Big Name Bands covering up the logos on their keyboards??
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I've been noticing lately that some big name artists out there have keyboard players that are covering up the name and maker of the keyboards they're playing.. Why are they doing this. I just saw "Pinks" new video and her keyboardist was playing a Korg Triton, but he had the Korg logo and the name triton covered up with tape.. I find that odd. Wouldn't this be great advertisement for Korg?

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#200507 - 04/26/02 03:16 AM Re: Why are Pro keyboardists in Big Name Bands covering up the logos on their keyboards??
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
It would be great advertising for Korg if Korg wanted to pay for it. If I had a pro band I wouldn't leave the names showing to the public unless they paid an advertising fee. You know they put those BIG letters with the company names on the backs of keyboards only to get free advertising.

Same thing as car dealers. I won't let the car dealer put their little logo on my car unless they want to pay me a monthly fee. When you tell a car dealer this they always look stunned for some reason haha....

-Linda

#200508 - 04/26/02 07:01 AM Re: Why are Pro keyboardists in Big Name Bands covering up the logos on their keyboards??
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote from Linda: "I won't let the car dealer put their little logo on my car unless they want to pay me a monthly fee."
Linda ...... nice to know I'm not alone in this thinking.... several years ago, when ordering a new auto I had it written into the contract that I would refuse delivery if the dealer's logo was on the vehicle ... they even had the chutzpah to tell me that 'if I were stuck on the road, and one of their employees saw my car and their logo, they would stop to help!!!' yea, right ...
... but we digress.... another reason for the taped over logo, and this may occur more in shows with many artists, is the fact that some artists may be under contract with certain manufacturers, but for whatever reason, are using a competitor's equipment.
This happens frequently, especially in those times when a grand piano is on stage for many artists to use at a particular concert.
(something similar happens in golf, when the player is under contract with, let's say NIKE, and under the NIKE golf club covers are Titlelist clubs!!! )
t.

#200509 - 04/26/02 08:19 AM Re: Why are Pro keyboardists in Big Name Bands covering up the logos on their keyboards??
Roel Offline

Hi,
A long time ago we did a live performance in one of our national TV-studios.
Right after we put our equipment on stage suddenly a guy with black lables and gaffa-tape appeared and covered all brandnames on our instruments !!
At that time I played a WERSI organ

Sure, it would be a great advertisement for the brandnames, but the TV companies do not like ads without 'payment'.
So its not the musician's fault ...

Roel

#200510 - 04/26/02 12:47 PM Re: Why are Pro keyboardists in Big Name Bands covering up the logos on their keyboards??
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
I once played for a reception at a major golf tournament and I had my name/logo on the drop cloth that covered the cords on my keyboard stand. I was asked to remove it because companies paid a lot of money to have their company logos placed in this reception and I was not an advertiser. I also saw the Pink video for "Don't Let Me Get Me" where the keyboard logo was covered sloppily... has to be an endorsement issue, but it's possible that use of a brand name in a commercial music video might infringe on the keyboard manufacturer if there was no endorsement deal.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online