Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#200490 - 09/02/04 05:07 PM Re: Ethics and belief issues of playing at churches
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by TyrosOwner:
One thing I did learn though is that if people believe the entire scientific community is lying about the age of the earth, and dinasaurs are a fabrication; a trumpet player from down the street isn't going to change those belief systems!

I did in fact ask the minister about China's 5,000 years of documented history and his response was the only history I'll ever need is in the bible.

As for me, I would NEVER play there. Ever. No way will I ever do anything to help promote such ignorance. I wouldn't toot one note for such crap. Religious b.s. alone hinders humankind more than anything else and I don't want one penny. As for you, it's up to you, obviously. But that's my take on it.

Peace and Love, that 60s stuff

#200491 - 09/02/04 05:34 PM Re: Ethics and belief issues of playing at churches
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Here is my perspective.

There are some Major doctrines and Minor doctrines. The Major doctrines are the dividing line. One of them is the Trinity or the deity of Christ. If you do not believe in that, It does not make sense to attend a church that does and vice versa.

However, "6000" years for the age of the earth is truly a minor doctrine. Each christian in the church can have his or her opinion. In fact, the pastor too is allowed to have his opinion about this as well and it should not bother you at all. This brings me to another point.

Why were you bothered by the 6000 speech? If you know that the evidence are empty, you should smile and forget about it. But if it makes you uncomfortable, shouldn't you pay even closer attention?

Having said this, I strongly believe 6000 years for the age of the earth is neither scientific nor biblical. This is true even for the Young Earth view. If one added all the years in the bible, one would get far more years than 6000 years even with the literal 24 hours 6-days of creation.

#200492 - 09/02/04 06:23 PM Re: Ethics and belief issues of playing at churches
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Am I missing something here ?!?!? ... are you being hired as a musician or a disciple of their church??? ... I know a number of musician that play in bars but they don't drink ... as a young player I played for strippers, but didn't strip ...
I've played for Catholics, Protestants and Jews ... What is the big deal?!?!? .. they can believe what they want, I believe what I want .... As long as the money is American ...
t.
PS ... If you don't like what they're preaching and it REALLY bothers you, don't play there ...

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 09-02-2004).]

#200493 - 09/02/04 07:11 PM Re: Ethics and belief issues of playing at churches
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
I am a devout Christian, but it is entirely up to you what you believe. At the end, we will all individually have to be subject to God's judgement. However, God gave us free will, for a reason, I believe it was because He trusted that something good would come from it.

If one is playing at a religious service one should be reverent and respectful of others. As long as that organization is not promoting anti-social behaviors you can just play along, and do the job you have been contracted to do. You are enhancing their worship experience and should be paid accordingly.

------------------
Graham

#200494 - 09/03/04 09:40 AM Re: Ethics and belief issues of playing at churches
trtjazz Offline

In my many years of performing live I am sure that all the audiences had a wide range of beliefs differing from mine. I was there to perform music not exchange ideological beliefs.

If they do not expect you to believe as they do, then it's just a gig. If they do say sorry, no can do and let them decide on whether they still want you to play for their congregation.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#200495 - 09/03/04 03:58 PM Re: Ethics and belief issues of playing at churches
Quasar Offline

As a Christian- but a non-fundamentalist one- I don't think that the Supreme Power of the universe cares one whit about my silly little religious opinions. What is important is that I'm honest with the people I'm dealing with.

I think it's up to you to decide what you wish to have your playing "associated" with. Here I would differentiate between that which is simply well-intentioned but ignorant, and that which is malicious and harmful.

If one wants to believe that the earth is flat, only 6000 years old, or whatever, I'd have no problem. But some religous sects go beyond this, and denigrate other religions and cultures, leading to the well-documented evils of racism, anti-semitism, jingoism, etc.

In other words, I would happily celebrate with Christian, Bhuddist, Jewish, Islamic, or Atheist brothers and sisters in any venue, but would NOT participate in an event sponsored by either Jerry Falwell or al-Quaida, wherein I perceived that the "religion" is used as a weapon to pursue some other social or political agenda.

In Christian lexicon, this is known as "Wolves in sheeps' clothing."

Michael

#200496 - 09/04/04 07:20 PM Re: Ethics and belief issues of playing at churches
KN_Fan Offline

My dad owns a sound system rental company. We definitely cater to churches as a pretty good portion of our sales more than any other companies in the countries...BUT we also offer the same services not only to different (Christian)denomination, even to muslims

It's all business. Unless they're clearly wrong and worship the devil I don't see anything wrong playing for different churches.

#200497 - 09/05/04 06:54 AM Re: Ethics and belief issues of playing at churches
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Good points by all. This should clear up your dilema, no?

#200498 - 09/05/04 06:31 PM Re: Ethics and belief issues of playing at churches
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Quasar:
In other words, I would happily celebrate with Christian, Bhuddist, Jewish, Islamic, or Atheist brothers and sisters in any venue, but would NOT participate in an event sponsored by either Jerry Falwell or al-Quaida, wherein I perceived that the "religion" is used as a weapon to pursue some other social or political agenda.

Michael

Michael

My feelings exactly.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online