SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#200402 - 12/30/06 07:58 AM Re: Drummer: Yes or No?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I hear ya, Gary. I wrote this long, detailed response and thought, heck, it just boils down to this: Having the interaction and sound that only having excellent bandmates provides is worth it to me for some gigs. I will continue to play solo but nothing compares to having good bandmates. Of course, there are negatives but if they are dependable and you like them, that removes most of the negatives.

No arranger can compete with a real drummer, fiddler, steel guitar or harmonica player. There is no contest. And it makes me happy.

Plus, for me, personally, I am fleshing out some original songs to make them shine and (pertaining to this thread), a drummer would surely help with the uptempo, rockabilly, country-rock stuff. I don't know if I'll do it or not. It would take a special drummer, for sure.

------------------
Bill
SmallGig.com

#200403 - 12/30/06 11:14 AM Re: Drummer: Yes or No?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I kind of feel sorry for people that have obviously played with such poor musicians that an arranger IS preferable to a live band. My advice would be, either start playing with MUCH better players, or take a hard, objective listen to your OWN playing, and ask yourself 'Do I have the chops to make these good players want to play with ME.....?'

Just because your arranger makes you SOUND as if you can play, doesn't necessarily mean that, once you are not using it, you actually CAN.......

I would advise EVERYBODY that primarily plays an arranger to spend at least SOME time playing with real musicians, just to get a reality check. And, who knows? you might rediscover that your left hand is good for more than just playing chords!

#200404 - 12/30/06 07:33 PM Re: Drummer: Yes or No?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

Load this Black Velvet style in your PSR-2000 and let me know if the drums are hot enough for you.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online