SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#200392 - 12/25/06 05:52 PM Re: Drummer: Yes or No?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Add a sax player that plays some persussion, forget the additional guitar and drummer.
Ahhhh.

#200393 - 12/26/06 11:02 AM Re: Drummer: Yes or No?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Here's what I would do: Get a dynamite drummer who can play tasteful percussion, and a bass player. Make sure the 2nd guitar player is a real player who can solo. When you use the arranger function, switch the drummer to a percussion kit. Make sure that the bass player can double on another instrument. That way, you can add a little showmanship and variety of instrumentation. I've taught basic keyboard cords to my bass player, and this works out well.

Then, for duo jobs, use the guitar player.

It's fun to change the line-up and you can price jobs with the right number of players.

Russ

#200394 - 12/26/06 12:03 PM Re: Drummer: Yes or No?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
UD, you hit the spot!

#200395 - 12/28/06 11:53 AM Re: Drummer: Yes or No?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Talking of subwoofers...

We have 2 PA's.

The small system - 2 full range cab's on poles.

The big system - Active crossover, 2 big amps, 15" Black Widow bass cabs with BOSE 802 flyers

The drummer hankers after changing the small system to "decent subwoofer and use the BOSEs". He could have a point; there's a distinct lack of bass coming back with the current "small" system, also you can't argue with the quality of the 802's.

#200396 - 12/28/06 12:45 PM Re: Drummer: Yes or No?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
With a live drummer, I would strongly suggest a sub. You nned that ooomph to compete with the volume peaks of the drums, and level out the low end energy.

#200397 - 12/28/06 04:01 PM Re: Drummer: Yes or No?
MacAllcock Offline

I'm becoming persuaded!

#200398 - 12/28/06 05:04 PM Re: Drummer: Yes or No?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Add a sax player that plays some persussion, forget the additional guitar and drummer.
Ahhhh.

EXACTLY whatI do...

My sax guy also plays Clarinet and flute, so we have good flexibility.

Also, I recently hooked up with a former Nashville scene pedal steel player who is marvelous! (He's toured with Jerry Lee Lewis and Marty Robbins among others...)Well, we hit it off right away and the crowd went goo-goo over the sound we put out.

The drummer from my quartet is a very solid drummer...we do ballroom stuff 80% of the time, but it sounds like dog crap when he tried to play with the Tyros. He's fairly busy...and when he stripped his beats down far enough to not get in the Tyros' way, it sounded stupid...

I won't even try it again...

Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 12-28-2006).]

#200399 - 12/29/06 02:42 PM Re: Drummer: Yes or No?
MacAllcock Offline

If he can do Ballroom stuff then playing along with a Tyros should be possible; can you thin out the Tyros parts to leave space for the live drums?

#200400 - 12/30/06 03:24 AM Re: Drummer: Yes or No?
m134mr Offline

Loc: West Midlands UK
Could you send a click track out of the aux on the tyros for the drummr to keep in time. That would be great as you can create a seperate mix for the drumer to keep intime, only thing is that he would hav e to wear headphones or have a monitor speaker?

#200401 - 12/30/06 06:52 AM Re: Drummer: Yes or No?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
There's something I just don't seem to comprehend here. If you get a drummer, sax player, guitar player, flute player, fiddle player, and a singer, what in the hell do you need an arranger keyboard for. And, the way the proceeds will be split, maybe you'll have enough money to have that cosmetic surgery you've always wanted--NOT.

One of the main reason I bought an arranger keyboard was I no longer needed the drummer, guitar player, bass player, fiddle player, etc. I no longer have to split the proceeds with anyone, I don't have to worry about who is gonna' show up on time, whether their equipment works, or any of the other problems associated with working with other performers.

Forget the drummer--he can't keep time worth a damned. Forget the bass player, sax player, fiddle player, guitar player, and singer, all of which claimed they didn't get enough money, and constantly wanted to mess with the mixer. Instead, learn to use the keyboard to its fullest extent and you'll book more jobs than you can handle, plus collect bigger paychecks. If someone wants to hire a three or four-piece band, send them to the bands that play loud and lousy.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online