SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#200027 - 07/08/07 05:45 PM Re: some one has a new Motif XS :)
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick G:
Donny the thread hijacker

Nick I would think you would be delighted that by viewing the demo posted that more people would know what a XS is & how it can work....hijack? nah M8

#200028 - 07/08/07 06:11 PM Re: some one has a new Motif XS :)
Eric, B Online   content

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Great video,

Good luck and lots of fun with the new Motif XS Nick.

thanks for sharing Donny.

Eric

#200029 - 07/10/07 05:14 AM Re: some one has a new Motif XS :)
Dnj Offline

So.....Nick hows it going with the XS so far?

#200030 - 07/10/07 05:53 AM Re: some one has a new Motif XS :)
korg4god Offline

Loc: Dodge City, Kansas 67801
That's something I've always wondered about...

Why does Yamaha not have touch screens on their boards?

When I switch from my PA1x Pro to a higher end PSR or one of the upper Clavinovas (Which I will demo for the local music store when they have a potential church customer) I always have to remind myself that it's not a touch screen. Kind of a drawback on Yammies.

Just wondering

Jeff

Dodge City Schools -USD 443
Forte Music School

http://forte.musicteachershelper.com

#200031 - 07/10/07 08:41 AM Re: some one has a new Motif XS :)
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
The problem with the XS screens is that some of the pages (quite a lot, actually) display FAR too much information to select easily with a finger. A PDA stylus would work, but you can't PLAY with one of those in your hand

Actually, for these slightly aging eyes, some of the screens use a WAY too small font to not have to wear glasses (I just use them for reading!). It is DEFINITELY a system that relies on buttons, not stubby fat fingers! I just wonder about the legibility of some of their screens in less than optimal lighting (outside, bright overheads, etc.). The G70, with everything nice and big and high contrast, can still be a bear to see in the daylight in Florida!

Makes me worry a bit about the XS...

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 07-10-2007).]

#200032 - 07/10/07 08:59 AM Re: some one has a new Motif XS :)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Diki, there have been several complaints regarding the "angle" of the XS screen, as well as the small font size.

I agree that when I demoed the unit, I too thought the font size was a bit small (to be fair I also felt the same way about the Fantom X too). There is quite a bit of info on one page with the XS (again to be fair it's the same with the Fantom)

There were however several complaints about the angle of the XS screen on the Motif forum. Some said it wasn't angled enough and at times had to position themselves differently just to read the screen better--it was even suggested that Yamaha consider a Tyros 2 type flip up panel with the next Motif release.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 07-10-2007).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#200033 - 07/10/07 03:30 PM Re: some one has a new Motif XS :)
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
I have a lot more to write about my thoughts and findings on this board but I will leave that till later tonight as i am currently at work in the office.

the XS screen is nice and bright no problems there.. the font is not too small at all. BUT the angle could be better. i miss having the adjustable Tyros screen!!

all i have to say is the sound quality and editing features blow me away! its just such a more powerful board than anything else i have ever played. the voices and drums are so crisp and punchy.

i will write alot more later on when i am free.

Nick

#200034 - 07/10/07 05:24 PM Re: some one has a new Motif XS :)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I'm tellin ya Nick, once you go synth, it's hard to go back! Especially with the styles of music you like to play. I honestly was surprised that you were using a T2 for those styles too.

You just can't get the level of synth ability you find on the XS in the Tyros II. Plus the sequencing platform on the XS is EXACTLY what you need for those styles. It's much harder IMO to do this on an arranger. Glad it's working out for you.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 07-10-2007).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#200035 - 07/10/07 10:51 PM Re: some one has a new Motif XS :)
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
I can't wait for some examples. It's about time that something other than oldies was demoed here!

Some of us still consider we are living in the 21st century (even if our paying audiences aren't!)...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online