SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#199743 - 12/16/04 07:09 PM Re: Please Help with decision........
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Squeak-

Its been awhile since I did it but I remember being able to record the kick and snare on one track, then do cymbals on 2nd track and I think fills and toms, etc on a 3rd...

To have to go through the entire length of a tune to record each part drove me crazy. If there was a faster way to do it, I couldn't figure it out from the dense owner manuals. PLUS, I even called KORG support and asked and was told I was doing it the best way. I also remember the cut/paste functions being beyond my understanding.

To then go back and lay down bass, and keys, strings, ...No, no, no...NOT for me...By the time I would finish a single song...I was so frustrated at the time it took.

I remember specifically a comment a KORG tech said to me one day trying to walk me through something. It was how I first really heard about arrangers...

The guy said, "...You probably would've been happier with one of our arrangers...These workstations aren't for everyone..."

Personally, I found the manual to be often more confusing than helpful. I don't consider myself mush of a techie...and the Triton just blew me out of the water.

Add in the pathetic piano sounds...the board just wasn't for me. I play lots of standards, oldies, country, etc...I don;'t ever need wild sawtooth sounds for example. The arrpegiator was another thing that I never had a clue how I could ever really use.

Bottom line, I bought the absolutely worst board for my needs I probably could've...No one to blame but myself.

Oh well, live and learn...The Tyros has better sounds (for my needs, at least) is easier for me to use, and soemthing that has made an incredible impact on my business...

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 12-16-2004).]

#199744 - 12/16/04 08:24 PM Re: Please Help with decision........
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Yeah the rep was right. Workstations aren't for everyone. It really depends on your needs for performance and song production. However with the Triton all of your drums could have been recorded on one track. You select a track, set the loop, and then just overdub each part. Your complete drums would be on one track, bass on another, keys on the next, and so forth. My old workstation had a dedicated 8 track pattern sequencer. It was really simple (actually Korg was probaby easier). If you use the pattern track correctly it doesn't take long to construct user patterns. You can do one single variation, then copy that bad boy several times and make slight changes to each copied pattern. I know arrangers let you copy too, but I don't know of any arranger that will allow you to truly do pattern chaining like you'd find on a Yamaha Motif.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 12-16-2004).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#199745 - 12/17/04 01:39 AM Re: Please Help with decision........
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
guys again triton and tyros they are cats and dogs-different species.

if you want
triton and motif -compare it.
PA and tyros -compare it.

triton(or motif)have pattern record,loop record,erase/add while loop etc-alot of pro seq funcs that you need in all in one instrument(which you can 90% do what a software seq could do in avarage daily sequencing).on board sound editing is deep unlike tyros(BTW PA's editing is deeper than tyros too)
in a workstation (in general)
single drum sounds can be edited,panned,gated,overdriven with tube emulation,delayed with tempo control,make them cry with believable pedal wah(with exp pedal and onboard assign controllers-knobs to ribbon),and yes effects are much better-no thin sounding reverb chips-it's for pro seq and production.

tyros and arrangers however come handy when you lay down multiple tracks (by using styles).play the bass track or every track except drums(minor adjustments needed) but they sound canned compared to a workstation,OK for live but not that great for a CD production.
if you go software route you'll want a workstation (d/t support and editing for specific synths)by major programs-(sonar to logic)and yes workstation sounds better than arranger in general.not to mention wkstations EFX sound much better.
triton pro x is 88 keys - ofcourse it's heavier.and yes piano is not great.but it has sampling that tyros can't do.it has performance mode that tyros lack.it has realtime knobs/arp that tyros does not have.
and ofcourse it lacks styles,color display,less poly, etc etc.

so again they are cats and dogs.

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 12-17-2004).]

#199746 - 12/17/04 02:21 PM Re: Please Help with decision........
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I never knew there was a note limit as such; isn't the internal buffer for midi files about 300k or suchlike?

Anyhow, you could look at it like this: 32000 notes is about 100k worth of a midi file, at a moderately educated guess. It is also 100 notes per second for a 5 minute song.

The biggest (commercial) file I've loaded and run (on my PSR2000) has been 108k so far, and this was crammed with controller and paramater change data, with no problems. I suppose when I hit a problem it will be a straight fail rather than some gradual degradation as the file size approached the limit.

So as long as you stick to fairly normal pop song sequence lengths and do not go totally stupid with the arrangement you should have no problems at all.

#199747 - 12/17/04 03:02 PM Re: Please Help with decision........
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Yeah 32,000 notes should be enough. Workstations like the Triton and Motif have huge note capacities not just for basic songs, but they have more notes for songs that may require a great deal of them such as techno music. If you have multiple arps going, a real complicated pattern track, bass lines, leads and so on you can eat up notes really fast. My old workstation believe it or not had only 30,000 notes for songs. It wasn't bad, but when you used a lot of arps you could see the capacity bar drop quicker. 32,000 notes on the PSR's is more than enough.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#199748 - 12/17/04 08:34 PM Re: Please Help with decision........
musicman37 Offline

Thanks for the input on the 32000 note subject. I only plan on normal use sequencing for now so givin your input, I think the psr3000 will do just fine. By the way, there is a couple of great videos on the 3000 and tyros at http://www.psrtutorial.com/L/lessons.html for those of you wanting to see them in action. If anyone knows of anymore sites that offer video on the 3000 and/or its big brother tyros, please let me know.

thank you all for your responses.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online