SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#199331 - 05/18/05 04:15 AM hi ya, been a while..
DannyUK Offline

Hi guys, its been quite a while since i posted here, so much has gone on in my life, loads of problems but i am trying to bounce back from them all.. i will endevour to talk about it soon enough...

i have a quick question if someone could kindly answer for me...

I have recently got my head round into getting back to playing music after almost a years absence... i still have my Korg PA80 (fantastic kb), but i really do like the look of the Korg PA1X... i just wanted to know the major differences really, in terms of the quality of the sounds & styles... is the PA1X a huge improvement over the PA80 or is the difference pretty neglegent??

thanks ever so much,
take care
danny

#199332 - 05/20/05 12:24 AM Re: hi ya, been a while..
DannyUK Offline

No replies...

#199333 - 05/20/05 01:17 AM Re: hi ya, been a while..
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Danny

I've never heard the PA1X, but hope I will soon. Otherwise, you can type in PA1X and PA80 into search and there are about 54 threads.

Best

Scott Langholff

http://www.ScottLMusic.com

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 05-20-2005).]

#199334 - 05/20/05 06:59 AM Re: hi ya, been a while..
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Welcome back Danny! Wish I knew more about the Korg. I had a PA80 briefly, but not the new one.
DonM

#199335 - 05/20/05 07:26 AM Re: hi ya, been a while..
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hello, I played and sold several PA1X Pros, I am also a PA60 owner, main diferences are:
The user interface with the touch color screen, the RX technology (like the Mega voices in Yamaha) terrific sounding acoustic & electric guitars, electric pianos, organs and with the drawbar controls in real time.., the TC helicon harmonizer, new styles besides all the previus ones....the key action......GREAT!!...Options like MP3 encoder, CD burner, I like this board, but is a little out of my range.

------------------
mdorantes

#199336 - 05/20/05 08:12 AM Re: hi ya, been a while..
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Danny,
I think Manuel's post is pretty much right on. When the PA1XPRO came out, many customers thought it was just a PA80 with a new face! After playing, everyone I know agrees it is much better board. Even though many of the original styles are included from the PA80, they have been re-worked with the better sounds. The "mega" type sounds are also very noticable in sounds like Trumpet, Trombone, etc. where they use multi layer samples to create the realistic nuances of a Trumpet player using lip, pressure, etc. to create a more natural sound.
You also get USB for easier data transfers from Computer to keyboard.
I just loaded version 3.05 software from Korg yesterday which added about 30 new features. Korg has done a great job constantly updating this keyboard to add everything customers are asking for.
By the way Scott Yee, they just added something they call "expert chord recognition" which I haven't tried yet but it might be your rootless chord recognition!
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#199337 - 05/20/05 08:18 AM Re: hi ya, been a while..
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by DannyUK:
No replies...

I would if I could...
Nevertheless welcome back!!!

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#199338 - 05/20/05 08:53 AM Re: hi ya, been a while..
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
they (Korg: on the PA1X/PA1Xpro) just added something they call "expert chord recognition" which I haven't tried yet but it might be your rootless chord recognition!

George: yep, it's indeed exactly the professional jazz style 'rootless chord recognition' I've been rallying for arranger keyboard manufacterers to include, for 'so many' years now. I'm thrilled that Korg has 'finally' come on board, joining Yamaha, Technics, and Ketron with this feature, which will broaden arranger keyboard appeal to the traditional-pro jazz style keyboard player as well.

George, I only hope you will use whatever influence & relationship you have with Roland (Chris Halon) & General Music, to persuade them to finally add "rootless chord" recognition on their arrangers now as well.

Thanks to the chord recognition verification test performed by synthzone member ptram (Paolo), it's now CONFIRMED that 'every one' of my requested 'rootless' jazz style chords are now included on the PA1X/PA1XPro with OS 2.50. Here's a link to that discussion thread:
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/010769.html

Scott

#199339 - 05/20/05 09:20 AM Re: hi ya, been a while..
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Danny, I've auditioned the PA1xPro on several occasions & very impressed with most all the sounds & styles. Though I remain a very satisfied Yamaha Tyros owner, Korg's sounds & styles (imo more contemporary sounding than Yamaha's) provide a wonderfully fresh addition. With the recent implementation of 'rootless chord' recognition, I'm now drawn closer to possibily getting a 76 note PA1xPro. The only major drawback (for me) is the PA1xPro/PA1x weight (nearly 50 lbs) and Korg's infamously un-insipired acoustic piano samples. Considering the fact that Korg's instr. voices (in all other categories) sound so impressive, I can't figure out why Korg continues to neglect their acoustic piano samples.

Danny, glad you've decided to come back to playing music again. Glad to see you back on SZ.

Scott

#199340 - 05/20/05 10:50 AM Re: hi ya, been a while..
DannyUK Offline

Wow, some fantastic replies! Thank you ever so much guys... missed you loads btw..

I will see if i can hunt one down and try it out because im really more interested in the interfaces, such as the USB connection & CD-R features. I am perfectly happy with my PA80, but at the moment, i am having to remove the HD from the machine, place it in an USB Hub and connect it to my Laptop to copy/backup files from and to it, and its a bit annoying now. I just wanted to make sure that should i change over to a PAX1 that i at least get pretty much more of the same, but if you guys are saying its actually also an improvement then im more happy!

Thanks once again,
Danny

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online