SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#199261 - 04/22/07 05:21 PM Roland G-70 - Going from OS1 -> OS3 - a flashback
weissefar Offline

Many postings have been sent in various fora regarding the Roland G-70 OS versions. Allow me in this article to sum up what have happened with the Roland G-70 since OS1 in 2004. Enjoy

#199262 - 04/27/07 09:21 PM Re: Roland G-70 - Going from OS1 -> OS3 - a flashback
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi guys - I've listened to some of those demos (i.e. os2 and os3) completely and I've come to the following conclusion.

Some of the styles and sounds sound great, (the "New York New York" style for example - superb!), but many of them (the Dance/Disco styles mainly) sound VERY much like the VA-7 styles.

I've owned a VA-7 for almost 6 years, and, whilst it has served me well (and is a V E R Y underrated keyboard IMHO) I shall be upgrading soon.

Having listened to those G-70 styles/sounds, my mind is almost made up - I think that if this is a reasonable sampling of the improvements that have been done to the G-70, I should look seriously at the Korg Pa series, especially the PAx Pro elite (yes, even though it's as "old as the hills").

The New Roland keyboards don't seem to be enough of a leap over the Va-7 and I need sampling dagnabit!!!!

To all those who own a G-70 I'm NOT trying to start anything (please) I'm just shocked at how (relatively) little progress has been made regarding Roland sounds and styles since the VA-7.

On the other hand, these were compressed MP3 files I believe, (at least not .WAV's anyway) but I have played a G-70 (and a Tyros 2) for some time in my local Music Store and come away with a similar conclusion.

Hmmmm...

Please feel free to agree/disagree...

(2 cents deposited - and probably wasn't asked for...lol)

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#199263 - 04/27/07 11:22 PM Re: Roland G-70 - Going from OS1 -> OS3 - a flashback
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I agree that there are some significant similarities to the VA-series in the G70 (naturally, just as a T2 has quite a bit in common with the T1) but there are some VERY significant additions. First of all, the VK Organ mode. A HUGE improvement over previous Rolands. Then the GrandX piano from the FantomX is my favorite hardware piano, these days (warmer than all previous, and more dynamic than even my K2500 with Piano card). V-Drums, not sure if they were in the VA series..?

But the majority of improvements have come in the OS. The VA series wasn't exactly bristling with realtime controls, and those have been significantly improved, and now we have a full, user definable OTS system linked to each style, pretty close to comprehensive control systems (user definable), and a very effective touch screen and full set of sliders.

I know quite a few of the ROM styles hark back to the VA series, but there have been a considerable number of new styles from Roland and MidiSpot that may not have been loaded into a store floor model.

You MIGHT want to wait for a while and see if Korg bring out a new PA TOTL arranger using the PA800 engine. Significantly better polyphony, significantly better sampling (the PA1X only supports up to 32MB, which doesn't go very far, and loads VERY slowly) and an improved synth engine. If sampling is the main thing you look to get, perhaps a rack used Z4/8 Akai might work better... Better library, MUCH more RAM (512MB, I think), and it's own polyphony. Just MIDI into it from the VA.

If the VA-7 has lasted physically in good condition, it MIGHT be worth holding out, at least until summer NAMM, or even winter! You ARE going to miss that key-bed, though!

#199264 - 04/28/07 12:38 AM Re: Roland G-70 - Going from OS1 -> OS3 - a flashback
Wis Offline

Nothing wrong with the PA but I am still very happy with my G70. The G70 has a lot more than the VA which I had before.

#199265 - 04/28/07 02:30 PM Re: Roland G-70 - Going from OS1 -> OS3 - a flashback
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Diki, version2 of the VA-7 improved many things including realtime control improvements..I second the motion the VA series did not get the credit it should have gotten..

And Yes V drums are on the VA..

#199266 - 04/29/07 01:36 PM Re: Roland G-70 - Going from OS1 -> OS3 - a flashback
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Oops, I was thinking VA-76 for that keybed...

Donny, the VA-7 has very few realtime controllers, despite OS2 improving the options. Can't make a slider do something if there IS no slider...

Just take a look at the front panel of a VA-7 compared to a G70 or E80... No comparison.

#199267 - 04/30/07 04:34 AM Re: Roland G-70 - Going from OS1 -> OS3 - a flashback
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
All valid points guys (and thanks for the back-up on the "underrated VA-7" side of things Fran).

I agree, the VA-7 wasn't the easiest thing to operate (it still frustrates me on stage speed wise, and I know a LOT about that beast).

I just need to upgrade sooner rather than later now for stage AND recording purposes.

Diki I am waiting for Korg to come out with a new arranger - I don't WANT to but the PAx1 as it is outdated (so to speak) so I hope Korg release a successor (or alternative) soon...

Oh and I agree (to a point) with the sparse amount of realtime controls on the VA-7 - except for the D-Beam which is assignable for many things, and makes a great slide guitar!!

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online