SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#199257 - 02/25/02 06:39 PM Yamaha Product Support News
Dave Thomas Offline

Hello, I'm Dave from South Wales, Uk. I am new member to this forum.

I have had a chat with Yamaha Product Technical Support UK.

They said that Yamaha Japan are going to make available on their
website, Styles to download for £2 for each style.

Also Yamaha Japan have 27 lawyers working on the Style copyright problem.

Yamaha Uk are trying to persuade Yamaha Japan to make available for the 9000 keyboards the next operating system update to include all the new functions & tweaks that the 2000 & CVP series have, but they're not sure whether there will be an update.

They are not sure whether there will be a replacement for the 9000
(it depends on its sales) they're thinking of releasing a
PSR/Electone Organ Hybrid keyboard.

I wonder if anyone has any news or opinions on these points.

Thank you,

#199258 - 02/25/02 07:22 PM Re: Yamaha Product Support News
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Welcome my arranger friend !
Yamaha USA has been making strides to heal a few customers complaint's . The Style issue has received quite a bit of posting on this Forum .
I personally feel that Yamaha missed a few things with the 9000 series .
The styles on the PSR740 should have remained the focus . The Dynamic groove feature( psr740,730) was easy to use.Having a keypad to select styles and sounds was a plus IMHO (psr740,640,730,630) .
The multipad effects while using "1 touch settings" is better on the 740 .
Yamahas pattern record and pattern storage have been an issue .They did improve this with the 1000 + 2000 . The record modes on the 740,640,730,630 were not easy . Not enough user area's .
I beleive that the PSR1000 and 2000 are very nice keyboards for their price range .
I just miss the above mentioned changes that occured with the 1000 + 2000.
Yamaha is a BIG company . It's important that they keep listening to their customers and retailers ! dano

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 02-25-2002).]

#199259 - 02/25/02 08:24 PM Re: Yamaha Product Support News
Clif Anderson Offline

I think it would be a great shame Yamaha did not keep development up at the high end of the arranger market. I guess they saw the pros opting for the PSR2000 and wondered where the market was for the PSR10000.

#199260 - 02/25/02 09:06 PM Re: Yamaha Product Support News
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
At 27 lawyers, it seems to me that they might be spending more money on lawyers than they'll ever recoup from selling their styles. Then again at $2.00 per style..., that can't be right can it ? Either way, no thanks Yamaha, if I need new ones I'll make my own, and when purchasing in the future, after all this nonsense and the fact that my defective nearly brand new 2000 is already in the shop for almost 3 weeks now for repairs ( the most important ones from OS problems that will not likely be addressed at this time- ie. my mixer settings won't always recall the way I saved them in the reg. memories), I'll stick with Korg or Roland. I've learned my lessons well here. My next dollars at this point would be better spent on a good hardware sampler or sampling workstation anyway for my composing needs, because in spite of what I thought before, I actually like my PA80 better for live performance. The PSR is pretty much useless for me anyway for live venues if I can't get my sounds to come up with all of the mixer settings that I 'saved' in reg memory. As annoying as it was, with the way it used it's own unique midifile system, and because of the lack of any company support at all, the MZ2000 I had was much more stable and reliable than the PSR2000. It always recalled my mixer settings perfectly. It had real synth edit capabilities too. The styles weren't as good as Yamaha's but then again compared to the ones on my PA80, the PSR2000's styles don't do all that much for me either, so either way I'd be making my own. In essence I got rid of the MZ2000 to wind up with a PSR2000 that has less features that are useful to me and isn't ( for me anyway ) as user friendly or easy to use. The last time I sent my 740 out for repair it was gone for 11 weeks. I wonder how long this one will be gone. Every day that passes lowers it's resale value.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 02-26-2002).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online