SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#198917 - 10/09/04 07:04 PM Re: What is the worst recording you've ever heard?
Ender4TrackMind Offline

Just about anything with that 80s hairband sonic disruption scooped mid EQ tapping being dominant over the entire arrangement equals the most horrid recordings ive ever heard. lol tapping can be done with taste as a tool and used in moderation with great results. Just that stuff where the entire song is only a spring board for sonic disruptions ":P

Outside of that many "modern" recordings...with everything ran direct and life pumped in after the fact, turns my stomach. As does overt abuse of noise gates all over the place, or vocals being pitch corrected as a complete crutch.

As for Rod...perhaps this quote will put a smile on your face. Greil Marcus "Rarely has anyone betrayed his talent so completely."

#198918 - 10/10/04 04:54 AM Re: What is the worst recording you've ever heard?
Chris A Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ,
Interestingly, a number of the songs mentioned here are also noted in "Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs". You can (and should) pick up a copy in the humor section of your local Borders/Barnes & Noble. For anyone involved in music I promise that this book will have you crying with laughter (my first read was in a public place and I had to leave because people couldn't stop staring at me every time I laughed so much I was spraying Diet Coke through my nose, slapping the table and gasping for breath).

The background is that Dave once wrote a column about the worst songs of all time and invited readers to write in with their own nominations (for those that don't know Dave Barry he writes for the Miami Herald but his column is syndicated nationwide). The readers' response was so overwhelming that he ended up writing this book on the subject (which is a really easy read by the way - 1-2 hours cover-to-cover). I can highly recommend it for anyone that wants a nice easy Sunday read and a huge laugh. I must have read my own copy 5 or 6 times and always has the same effect. Plus I think I've bought at least 10 copies of the book as gifts for musician-friends.

Just my 0.02c.
Chris

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online