SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#198765 - 03/20/01 11:40 AM California's Rolling Blackouts: Music/Computer Equipment Precautions!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
How many of you out there are experiencing (or aware of) the "rolling blackout" energy crisis we are experiencing in California? Not only is this electrical blackout problem a huge inconvenience & loss to productivity, but this also poses a potential hazard to electonic (computer & music) equipment as well.

Yesterday, we in California have begun experiencing rolling electrical blackouts (2-3 hour intervals) because of the lack of sufficient electrical power to meet the demands of the State.

What a shock to be in the middle of a computer/music studio work project and then to suddenly find the electrical power suddenly gone for over 2 hours. We are expecting more "rolling blackouts" to occur throughout the State of California as we head into the summer high energy demanding months.

I was advised to completely unplug ALL music and computer equipment to prevent possible power surge damage which might occur when the power comes back on. I was recommended to do this, even if you are already using a surge protector with your computer/music equipment. I was advised that a surge protector is not 100% effective in protecting your equipment from a power surge. Is this really true? I use an APS brand (Back UPS Office surge protector and battery backup unit). Interested in hearing from others on the subject of surge protectors and the current rolling blackout crisis in California.

Scott
California (SF Bay Area)

#198766 - 03/20/01 01:39 PM Re: California's Rolling Blackouts: Music/Computer Equipment Precautions!
Henry01 Offline

Loc: Dublin, California, USA
Scott,

The APC battery backup unit should be sufficient protection for your music/computer equipment. OTOH, a simple power bar type of surge protector is not good enough. I've been using APC for the past 8 years and survived many power outages. I have two 650s in my computer room but I don't have any in my music room. To think of it, I should use a UPS with my Solton X4! I have the HD version!

Henry

#198767 - 03/20/01 02:14 PM Re: California's Rolling Blackouts: Music/Computer Equipment Precautions!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Thanks for your valulable input Henry01.

In addition to the APC Backup-UPS Office battery backup/surge protector used for my Computer, I am using a:

1) SL Waber Wave Tracker Noise & Surge Protector, model #WT8
http://www.waber.com/public/condor/pdfs/page21.pdf

for my Technics KN5000 arranger keyboard and other associated outboard gigging equipment (Digitech Vocalist WorkStation, etc).

and a:

2) Furman PL-PLUS Power Conditioner (single space rack mount unit)
http://www.furmansound.com/PC15A.html

for music studio equipment located in the rack mount unit (sound modules, mixer, and EFX processor, etc).

I'm hoping the above Line Conditioner/Surge Protection devices will adequately protect my music equipment from any possible upcoming power surges which might arise during the current California State wide electrical power 'rolling blackout' crisis.

Henry01, could you please explain the difference between simple (OTOH) power bar type of surge protector and the better ones such as the APC? Does the SL Waber Wave Tracker & Furman PL PLUS offer sufficient computer/music equipment protection as well?

Is there ANY RISK at all to computer or music equipment if I keep my equipment plugged in thru the APC, Waber, or Furman surge protection devices? Is it safe to go ahead and leave everything plugged in to the above surge protection devices (leaving the surge protection device switched on) during a power outage? Also, is it recommended that the power switches be manually turned OFF on all computer/music equipment following a power outage or will the power surge protector provide adequate protection to allow you to keep the computer/music equipment power switches set to ON even during the blackout period?

Thanks again,

- Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 03-20-2001).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online