SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#198645 - 05/04/06 09:52 AM Re: TYROS 2 First Thoughts.........................
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Welcome to the T2 club.....!!

#198646 - 05/04/06 09:53 AM Re: TYROS 2 First Thoughts.........................
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
I hope Yamaha put the piano sounds from the MO8 into the next Tyros, I'm playing on it now and I'm in keyboard heaven It's lush
Also whilst they're at it, stick the MO8 weighted keys in as well and make it 76 notes hehe

#198647 - 05/04/06 11:00 AM Re: TYROS 2 First Thoughts.........................
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric, B:
Donny,

congrats on your new T2. Glad you like it.
I certainly love mine.

Eric

Thanx Eric for all your T2 help its very much appriated as with all here on the SZ.

#198648 - 05/04/06 11:29 AM Re: TYROS 2 First Thoughts.........................
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
Given the 3 year cycle of the Tyros its reasonable to assume that Yamaha Tyros 3 would go on sale October 2008.

#198649 - 05/04/06 11:48 AM Re: TYROS 2 First Thoughts.........................
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
The Devil's advocate again.

My feeling...if you are going to use these hard to believe it's being played styles/sounds..along with added "pads"....We are better off playing SMF's...at least we can sound like the record, and the public will be happier..

....but why stop there? Why not just a 29.95 portable CD player and a nice Radio Shack mic; heck, you could even afford to get a second CD player as a backup. Oh wait, isn't that a DJ? Seriously though, when used in a OMB situation, unless you have the skills of a Michael V???en (the T2 demonstrator, i forget his name), what is the difference between singing to (or playing over) a SMF and a DJ using two turntables for efx to enhance a tune. If you aren't trying to fool the public, how many of you are willing to get up from the keyboard during a tune, leaving the keyboard playing a SMF, and do your Frank Sinatra impersonation? How do you then go back to the keyboard after that, knowing that the audience knows that you are merely a prop imitating a musician playing live music. Of course you could ignore the SMF/CD/MP3 when performing live and just use the arranger function and not worry about sounding like the record (even if the SMF is pretty accurate and sounds like the record, YOU probably don't). I partially agree with Fran (will wonder's never cease) in the sense that if you can sell your audience on the total package, it matters little how you get there (except to other dumb-ass musicians ).

chas

#198650 - 05/04/06 12:54 PM Re: TYROS 2 First Thoughts.........................
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
....but why stop there? Why not just a 29.95 portable CD player and a nice Radio Shack mic; heck, you could even afford to get a second CD player as a backup. Oh wait, isn't that a DJ? Seriously though, when used in a OMB situation, unless you have the skills of a Michael V???en (the T2 demonstrator, i forget his name), what is the difference between singing to (or playing over) a SMF and a DJ using two turntables for efx to enhance a tune. If you aren't trying to fool the public, how many of you are willing to get up from the keyboard during a tune, leaving the keyboard playing a SMF, and do your Frank Sinatra impersonation? How do you then go back to the keyboard after that, knowing that the audience knows that you are merely a prop imitating a musician playing live music. Of course you could ignore the SMF/CD/MP3 when performing live and just use the arranger function and not worry about sounding like the record (even if the SMF is pretty accurate and sounds like the record, YOU probably don't). I partially agree with Fran (will wonder's never cease) in the sense that if you can sell your audience on the total package, it matters little how you get there (except to other dumb-ass musicians ).

chas

Amen!!! If I stay in the music business, which I doubt, I will bill myself as a Live Player who also plays backgrounds to perform with, and also peforms as a DJ.

Aaaaah, now I can be honest with them and relax.

John C.

#198651 - 05/04/06 01:54 PM Re: TYROS 2 First Thoughts.........................
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I usually buy my hard drives from a place in Floriday called www.driveguys.com
They are selling 80GB Western Digital 2.5" 90mm 5400RPM models for $79.00 on line right now.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#198652 - 05/04/06 03:00 PM Re: TYROS 2 First Thoughts.........................
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Tony.........does this mean Im in the Bottom Three
"Pesce Out"

YOU, Donny? ... NO WAY!!! ...

In fact I LOVED the vocals ... clear, powerful when needed, soft when desirable ... in a word GREAT ... song selection - WONDERFUL ... the drums KICKED .... as I said, I guess my level of expectation of the Midjay solo sounds was higher than it should have been ... they were good, not great which I was expecting ......

Donny ... you are SAFE !!! ...
t.

#198653 - 05/04/06 04:12 PM Re: TYROS 2 First Thoughts.........................
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I've said it before, and I'll say it again--anyone that believes their audiences are enjoying the stereo the performer hears on stage is only fooling themselves. In fact, if you look at the dynamics of a stereo sound system you'll quickly discover why movie theaters, and manufacturers of home theater systems went to 5.1 surround sound systems. When they were using stereo systems, only the audience members sitting dead center between the speakers heard stereo. All others heard a preponderance of either the right or left channel--but not stereo. Essentially, those sitting to once side of your venues are being cheated because they cannot enjoy what is coming out of the other speaker.

These problems can readily be solved by installing a 5.1 surround sound system with speakers stetegically positioned for overlapping coverage. OR, you can perform using a Bose PAS system. One individual put it best when he said "Mono--what a great concept--everyone in the room gets to hear the same thing."

When I was using the Barbetta Sona 32CS system, the smartest thing I did was position those speakers very close to me, one at each end of the keyboard and about 6 feet behind me. There was sufficient crossover so the audience essentially heard mono.

For those who think the Yamaha live grand piano sounds thin, I created a much fuller version that you can download from here

Fran,

Though we often agree on many aspects of the music biz, your statement about the audience not believing what they are hearing is no longer an issue. Most of our audiences think our keyboards are nothing more than Karaoke machines, and more often than not, they don't have a clue as to what the hell we are doing while onstage. They walk up to you while you are singing and playing and ask stupid questions. They'll say things such as "Do you have anything in there by Frank Sinatra?" almost as if you could answer them while in the middle of the song. The bottom line is they don't have a clue, and probably could care less--they just want to be entertained. They did the same stupid assed thing when I was playing a 12-string Yamaha guitar in a smoke-filled bar and using a Roland drum machine for rythm backing. Technology will not change this, and even if you were playing a grand piano and singing your heart out the idiots would still come up and ask stupid questions.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#198654 - 05/04/06 04:29 PM Re: TYROS 2 First Thoughts.........................
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:

Though we often agree on many aspects of the music biz, your statement about the audience not believing what they are hearing is no longer an issue. Most of our audiences think our keyboards are nothing more than Karaoke machines, and more often than not, they don't have a clue as to what the hell we are doing while onstage. They walk up to you while you are singing and playing and ask stupid questions. They'll say things such as "Do you have anything in there by Frank Sinatra?" almost as if you could answer them while in the middle of the song. The bottom line is they don't have a clue, and probably could care less--they just want to be entertained. They did the same stupid assed thing when I was playing a 12-string Yamaha guitar in a smoke-filled bar and using a Roland drum machine for rythm backing. Technology will not change this, and even if you were playing a grand piano and singing your heart out the idiots would still come up and ask stupid questions.

Cheers,

Gary

Gary, I couldn't agree more with these words
today's audiance needs to be educated in the art of enjoying an entertainer perform without the audiance coming up to you in the middle of the stage with a microphone in your hand singing a ballad to request Delta Dawn or some other request...they seem
to be unaware of the people around them...
TR

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online