SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#198635 - 05/04/06 05:57 AM Re: TYROS 2 First Thoughts.........................
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The Devil's advocate again.

Please no hurt feelings and leaving SZ..

While I only had a short time listening and touching the Tyros2..it reminded me of a few things and the direction we are going..

First , it is easily understanding why Donny and all of us get excited about great new boards like the Tyros2..

I think the Tyros2 seems to be overdone[I think you guys use the word "polished"].

My feeling...if you are going to use these hard to believe it's being played styles/sounds..along with added "pads"....We are better off playing SMF's...at least we can sound like the record, and the public will be happier..

I am not only referring to the Tyros2..this is going to continue with the other manufacturers too..I just want my styles to accent, fill in the missing band members of a trio/quartet..even 5 pieces..allowing us to play meaningful parts along with the style[arranger]...If I want a blown out arrangement..I want to play over a Standard Midi File, that was done right..

Am I the only one here that feels this way?

As for the Tyros2...I think it is one of the best/ if not the best full sounding arranger that I have heard.....Is it for me..right now, I don't think so...

The piano[acoustic]...first impressions...still not there..I don't like the sound, dynamics with the key action...I still think the Tyros2 is the same physical key bed as the Tyros original..The keys are not the reinforced DX-7 type keys..and the action is not on par with Korg and Roland..

The construction of the Tyros2 is still too plastic, and does not appear to be built as well as the Gem Genesys, Korg Pro or the Roland boards I am familiar with..

The Tyros2 sure has a big screen...that goes with a big housing...I's hard to believe Yamaha couldn't make the package more compact...besides angling the corners..

I am sure the Tyros2 will have great success in the market, but I will be surprised if it brings in a lot of new "Pros" into the arranger ownership.

Most working pros..prefer the staples..a good rhythm, quick access to left hand bass, a good piano, and a group of accent sounds at our finger tips. Add the nice backing tracks[arranger or SMF]...and keep it realistic enough that we can really feel we are adding something ourselves to the performance..

Again I am not Knocking the Tyros2..it is the best at what it does...I am just concerned what it does is not the direction for me..

#198636 - 05/04/06 06:12 AM Re: TYROS 2 First Thoughts.........................
Dnj Offline

Fran....its a high tech world we are living in ....changing, improving every single day........either you play/sing just an Acoustic instrument so its just YOU & YOUR Instrument eg: Piano, Accord, Guitar etc....
otherwise you have passed the believing barier with the audience when they HEAR MORE THEN THEY SEE!!!!!
twisting, bending, tricking, yourself & the audience is not gonna work they arent stupid....IT IS WHAT IT IS!!!!!
Arranger KB playing.

And like I always say.......BOTTOM LINE.....
"What Does It Sound Like IN THe End Result" ?
Close your eyes, listen and enjoy.........how its obtained? not many know or care.......they know one thing IT SOUNDS GOOD to them

I got a T2, Im happy I made that choice & Im sticking to it!!

"Play Music Every Day"

#198637 - 05/04/06 06:31 AM Re: TYROS 2 First Thoughts.........................
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

Don.....Yes I did play it thru my Bose PAS and
yes it sounds very good loud & clear...BUT
there was just something missing in the OVERALL circumference of sound......the T2 is so fine tines in regards to efx & instrumentation being used at its highest level to enhance the overall sound structure that really should be used in stereo to appreciate.....I never thoiugh this way inthe past but now......I know I must play in stereo......because MY EARS TELL ME SO

PS BTW Don when are you getting yours ...? "Whoops ')"

No plans to change right now. The Midjay isn't perfect, but it sounds great, like a live combo, as Fran suggests.

We are just getting back into that old argument about who hears the stereo.
As you yourself so eloquently and often argued, only the person sitting directly between the two stereo speakers gets to hear it right. Those sitting where they hear the left or right speaker predominantly will NOT hear the entire sound. I agree that it's great hearing yourself in stereo, but I still truly believe that Bose PAS has the best solution.
I also truly believe you will soon get another Bose PAS system. Anybody wanta bet?
DonM

#198638 - 05/04/06 06:54 AM Re: TYROS 2 First Thoughts.........................
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:

I also truly believe you will soon get another Bose PAS system. Anybody wanta bet?
DonM

Like most of us, one thing Donny is, is FLEXIBLE ... and Donny, I don't mean this in a derogatory way, but did you not say just a short time ago that you were headed in the OTHER direction ... i.e., simple rhythm accomp, no vocal harmonies, etc. ??? ... but, as is your (and anyone's) perogative you have gone the way of the Ty2 ... and more power to you to be able to change the methods you use to satisfy yourself and your audiences ...

I am looking forward to your new recordings on the Ty2, and Donny, I hope you re-record some of the tunes you did on your latest CD ... and IF I MAY, I would like to give an "American Idol" - like review of that CD, which I have listened to on several sound systems .. ... I will say first that overall, it is an very good production, and my wife and I really enjoy listening to it ... ESPECIALLY the duet with his daughter ...
Now, in the style of "AI" -

Randy - "Hey dawg ... looka here ... I liked it man, ya know ... good song selection, excellent vocals, the drums kicked, but... some of the solo instruments on the midjay just didn't do it for me dawg, ya know ? ...

Paula - .... Donny, I LOVE you, America loves you, you stayed true to yourself, and we love your daughter even more !!! ...

Simon - Well, having heard SO much about the Midjay, I have to agree with Randy, that I found some of the solo instruments, like the sax, wanting in some ways ... Knowing your high standards, Donny, some of the sounds were not quite what I had expected ... but overall a good performance ... one of the best we've heard ... but I expect the solo sounds to be 'kicked up a bit' with the Ty2 ...

With ALL due respect to ALL ...
t.

#198639 - 05/04/06 07:58 AM Re: TYROS 2 First Thoughts.........................
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
"Any safe landing", I guess, when it comes to seletion of equipment and how you use it.

That said, my approach is more like Fran's.
I really like to go all acoustic; either as a single or with my new trio...me (piano-guitar), my son(Zeta upright) and my grandson (drums).

It works for me and that's what is important.

Russ

#198640 - 05/04/06 08:04 AM Re: TYROS 2 First Thoughts.........................
Dnj Offline

Tony.........does this mean Im in the Bottom Three

I did the best I could to showcase ONLY the MIDJAY on that project.....I probably wont rerecord the same thing on the T2...but I promise to record some demos with vocals all done live on the T2 & post them on my site for all to hear Mp3 pro or con in a few weeks I just ordered a HD for it too.....Thanx for listening Gumba.....

As for changing my thoughts? .....thats just "Donny being Donny".....Ive always had that finicky gene inside me .......

Another PAS? I wont rule it out......but I doubt it at this time.......I have a few more ideas in my musical bag of tricks

"Pesce Out"

#198641 - 05/04/06 08:36 AM Re: TYROS 2 First Thoughts.........................
JohnLe Offline

Loc: Westminster, CA
So does anyone know when Yamaha is coming out with Tyros 3 (or whatever the replacement's name is)?

#198642 - 05/04/06 09:05 AM Re: TYROS 2 First Thoughts.........................
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
I have played the T2. I found the sounds, styles and multi pads to be the best i have ever heard in my life. It stirs my emotions. Its an inspiring keyboard that makes u want to play better and better. I said korg pa1x was on par with tyros1 but this tyros2 puts the korg aside. The new brass sounds are amazing. The oriental multi pads were stunning. If u can afford it get one. Thats my 2cents

#198643 - 05/04/06 09:27 AM Re: TYROS 2 First Thoughts.........................
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnLe:
So does anyone know when Yamaha is coming out with Tyros 3 (or whatever the replacement's name is)?

That's a little premature, IMO. The PSR3100 will come out first.
Starkeeper

#198644 - 05/04/06 09:46 AM Re: TYROS 2 First Thoughts.........................
Eric, B Online   content

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Donny,

congrats on your new T2. Glad you like it.
I certainly love mine.

Eric

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online