SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#198545 - 02/04/03 01:59 PM How long are everyones's songs???
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
How long are the songs users record here on the forum.. I'm asking this because the issue of that new recorder I'm getting allowing a full song of 8 tracks at 44 khz being 3 mins and 6 secs with a 128mb smart media card.. This afternoon I got a CD in the mail my wife ordered for me THE QUEEN OF SOUR HERSELF....., MS. ARETHA FRANKLIN.. That's my lady there.. Anyways this CD is a 2 disc set and has 30 of her greatest hits.. I looked on the back and 14 of those greatest hits were under 3 minutes long. Even her top hits like RESPECT which is only 2 mins and 26 secs long... How long does everyone here record for?

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#198546 - 02/04/03 02:26 PM Re: How long are everyones's songs???
Bill E Offline

Loc: nashville
Squeak, are you going to be recording tightly constructed radio hits or do you want to jam? If you compose, in what style? Three minutes is a serious limitation for many uses. I checked my songs and they range from 2:20 to one that ran over six minutes which included more guitar solos than needed, but I was having fun, and sometimes that's the point. The question is ,what are you wanting to accomplish? By the way, you can maximize track-minutes by sequencing all your keyboard parts and just recording a two-track stereo mix. Then it's down to how many guitar and vocal parts you want or need to add.However, you may find that guitars and some vocals sound better double-tracked, and unless you are a gifted singer,you may want to record several vocals and keep just the best parts. If $299 is the limit then you can't beat it, but a hard disc recorder with virtual tracks and much more recording time is very nice and not TOO much more money. Good luck and have fun.
Bill

#198547 - 02/04/03 02:47 PM Re: How long are everyones's songs???
trtjazz Offline

Squeak,
My average instrumentals are 6 + minutes, average vocal piece about 4.5

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#198548 - 02/04/03 04:11 PM Re: How long are everyones's songs???
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Then of course, if you're gigging and you're requested to play a particular piece that you're not really fond of...then it seems to go on for hours!!!!

#198549 - 02/04/03 04:14 PM Re: How long are everyones's songs???
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Squeak,

That's a pretty tight format, too tight for a lot of songs. I would reconsider if I were in your shoes.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#198550 - 02/04/03 04:33 PM Re: How long are everyones's songs???
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Very few of my songs are less than three minutes. I have a couple of instrumentals that are over 7 minutes long. Most though rage from 4 to 5 and a half minutes in length.

Personally Squeak, I would never limit myself to a format that restricts me in that way or causes me to use less tracks in order to gain time. If my budget prevented me from going much past the recorder you are looking at, and I was concerned about time constraints ( I would be ), I would either consider a better "used" digital recorder, or I would seriously consider using the comp and buying a good piece of software. My modest setup in my previous computer consisted of N track studio. It is VST capable, and it cost 50 dollars with add on Fasoft effects .. ( before I spent another 25 to upgrade to 24 / 96 ) I used it on a PII ( 300 mhz / 128 mb ram ), with a SB live card and XG works. On that modest setup I easily could get 6-8 tracks ( no lemgth limitation ) without clicks, pops or other issues. The VST capability means I can add effects as I go.

Today I have Sonar, yet I still prefer N track for audio ( but Sonar is always my first choice for midi work )

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 02-04-2003).]

#198551 - 02/04/03 05:00 PM Re: How long are everyones's songs???
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I can see where some people run into problems with a 3 minute limitation. However this unit does take any size smart media card, so eventually I'll be buying a 256mb card. A 256mb card allows just over 50 minutes of high quality 16bit 44.1 khz recording, and twice that in the lowest record grade... I think 50 minutes is more than enough.. Found out today that there are 1 gig cards now (but they're new and cost like $500.00) May be a while before I get one of those, but a 256 is in my reach

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#198552 - 02/04/03 05:12 PM Re: How long are everyones's songs???
trtjazz Offline

Squeak.
As Aj pointed out I would reconsider. You can get power tracks from PG music for under $100. and not be limited except by your hard drive size. The 1gig card at $500.00....take that money if you were to spend it and you could buy a real decent digital hard disc recorder.

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#198553 - 02/04/03 05:13 PM Re: How long are everyones's songs???
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hello Squeak,
My songs average at about four minutes (which is usually about 3mins 50 seconds too long for most listeners )

I think smart media cards are starting to come down in price anyway and will continue to do so, so it should not be that much of an issue. I certainly would not let that put me off buying if I really wanted it. It is not as if you don't have the option to upgrade!

I don't quite understand your reluctance to use a pc based prog for recording seeing as you already have the hardware. As AJ says NTrack Studio is phenominal for the money. I tried with a yammie four track once and only used it twice before going back to the pc for recording. Then again I am not a techie and I know that you are so maybe it is horses for courses as they say
Best to you
Tony W

#198554 - 02/04/03 09:04 PM Re: How long are everyones's songs???
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
For many years there was an "unwritten" law that radio stations wanted records (remember them?) to be less than 3 or 3 1/2 minutes. A few songs became big hits despite that (Lyin' Eyes, American Pie, El Paso, etc.) and then it became not so important. If you get away from popular or country music, and into other genres such as Jazz, then the rules change.
Powertracks Pro is about $30. and gives you almost unlimited recording options.
DonM

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online