SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#198316 - 12/11/03 01:58 PM i have been told to get an Arranger Keyboard?
Anonymous
Unregistered

A friend of mine on here suggested that I get an arranger keyboard? I'm not exactly sure why? Other then the fact I can't make up my mind what keyboard to buy. I am not even sure how an arranger keyboard would help me or how I could benefit from having one. I can't even arrange muiltpe tracks together to even form a song. So how would having an arranger keyboard help me? They don't even have knobs?

#198317 - 12/11/03 03:29 PM Re: i have been told to get an Arranger Keyboard?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
It depends on what your needs are. You should have someone who understands them show you what an arranger can do.
If you tell us what you want to accomplish, we'll try to help.
You can here some "live" recordings on my website by me and several of the others here.
DonM www.donmasonmusic.com

#198318 - 12/11/03 07:08 PM Re: i have been told to get an Arranger Keyboard?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Actually I find that arrangers are the most versatile keyboards of just about any. It's also what a lot of people own as their first keyboard. Better quality arrangers not have the basic keyboard sounds but can "jam" with you without you having to pre-program (ie: sequence) the song. They are at home in solo or ensemble use and their learning curve is often less than what professional workstations demand. That's why we all own one, or more.

#198319 - 12/12/03 05:13 AM Re: i have been told to get an Arranger Keyboard?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Paul, it seems you first came to this forum with a similar question. I can tell you like being here, but you gotta get something to play - the frustration is showing. Buy your modular or get an arranger or just buy something. I thought you already talked yourself out an arranger. Arrangers do everything - even sound like modular synths (to some extent). You play a note or a chord and it can add melody, harmony, bass, drums, chords, ... whatever. If you want to know what an arranger does, check out any of the Yamaha PSR series or Casio keyboards at most electronic and music stores. The more time you invest in playing and learning, the more you will get out of any keyboard.

As I said, I can tell you like this forum, so get a keyboard. BTW, have you seen these? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2579472313&category=29552

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 12-12-2003).]

#198320 - 12/12/03 07:42 AM Re: i have been told to get an Arranger Keyboard?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes I have seen those in keyboard magazine. Hmmmm! You think that could work for me?

#198321 - 12/12/03 08:40 AM Re: i have been told to get an Arranger Keyboard?
Clif Anderson Offline

Hi Paul

You "might" consider a Yamaha 9000Pro. Almost all arranger keyboards are ROMplers, in that the generate sounds using pre-recorded waveforms. This is the polar opposite of what your .com would do. The 9000Pro is modular in a couple of senses. First of all, you can add plug-in boards to access non-Rompler synthesis methods like Analog modeling, Physical modeling, and FM. Second, if you get the analog modeling synth, I think it emulates an analog modeling synth. While the 9000Pro doesn't have many knobs, you can add an external know bank to control parameters directly.

You should also consider getting a .com synth and an arranger. They certainly would not be redundant, they are completely different instruments. If money is limited, get an inexpensive arranger just to see what it can do.

#198322 - 12/12/03 08:45 AM Re: i have been told to get an Arranger Keyboard?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay Clif, what would be a good used one then?

#198323 - 12/12/03 09:00 AM Re: i have been told to get an Arranger Keyboard?
Clif Anderson Offline

I was going to add that you seem a little like a car buyer trying to decide between a convertible and a minivan. Well, I got a Ford Aerostar and a Cavalier Convertible. Since you are just getting you feet wet in arrangers, look at a Yamaha PSR-2000 or maybe a Yamaha PSR-740 if you sing. If you don't sing, try a used PSR-1000. If these are still too pricey, get a cheaper Yamaha, as long as it is at least "touch sensitive". What do others suggest?

P.S. That Novation KS4 Analog-Modeling Synth on ebay is a great deal. It's not an arranger, but it does include rhythms and includes a vocoder. I am tempted, but am holding out for a G2.

[This message has been edited by Clif Anderson (edited 12-12-2003).]

#198324 - 12/13/03 07:00 AM Re: i have been told to get an Arranger Keyboard?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually I am messed up! Not mentally messed up or stung out out on drugs. Nothing nasty like that. Actually more like a Jackson Pollock painting. All Chaotic, and spread out all over the place. One minute I want one thing, the next I want something else. It's no wonder I get frustrated so easily. I'm surprised someone hasn't said "Shut the [CENSORED] up!"

I think I need to take a break before I start makeing enimes, or people will not want to talk to me. I'm not leaving completely just sliding into the shadows.

Also because I think I have been alienated from the Vintage Synth Explorer BBS.

See you guys around!

#198325 - 12/13/03 07:57 AM Re: i have been told to get an Arranger Keyboard?
Clif Anderson Offline

Maybe the break is a good idea, but I hope I didn't drive you away with the car buying analogy. There are many exciting instruments out there, and many of us could not settle on just one. Ask Uncle Dave how many keyboards he has owned! Many of us have more than one keyboard, and some have studios that would put a dealer showroom to shame. You just need somewhere to start--but don't assume your first keyboard will be your last. And, keep us posted!

[This message has been edited by Clif Anderson (edited 12-13-2003).]

#198326 - 12/13/03 08:10 AM Re: i have been told to get an Arranger Keyboard?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Paul, one of your buddies at the General PC Forum suggested the Novation and a software program. That would be a good, inexpensive (relatively) way to go, IMHO. If I could be so bold to try to speak for the others, we enjoy your presence, but you really tire us out with all of your mind changing. I'll say it again - buy something (30day return policy).

#198327 - 12/13/03 08:56 AM Re: i have been told to get an Arranger Keyboard?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Don't leave us. You are always welcome. If you're the worst problem we have, we don't have any!
DonM

#198328 - 12/13/03 09:19 AM Re: i have been told to get an Arranger Keyboard?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm not leaveing Don, I'm just takeing a break. I'll still be here just in the shadows. Also becuse cassp is right, I am tireing everyone with my constant mind changeing. And since I just can't make a descion on what keyboard to get I am getting a way from keybaords for awhile. First was to make a not a complete exit from here, just fall back a bit so as not too aggrivate anyone. Second I put my ARP Omni away since I am not really useing it. Thrid I am going to find other things too do, and explore the net for a while. I will pop in from time to time to say hi and see what's happening.

See you around.

PEACE!

#198329 - 12/13/03 10:26 AM Re: i have been told to get an Arranger Keyboard?
danb Offline

Are you selling your Arp OMNI?

#198330 - 12/13/03 10:54 AM Re: i have been told to get an Arranger Keyboard?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Haven't decided yet. If some offered me a fair price I might consider it. After all I have had it for a few years. I tried to trade it in once, but since it has to dead keys no one would take it, and I hardly got any bids on ebay. Trying to find someone who would want an old string synthesizer is few and far between.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online