SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#198209 - 01/03/03 08:51 AM Digitech
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I get the impression that some of the Digitech harmonizers are better than any of the onboard units contained in an arranger keyboard. Since I can't afford to buy Uncle Dave's Voiceprism which model digitech would you folks recommend for live performances?

Tom

Tom

#198210 - 01/03/03 10:33 AM Re: Digitech
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I've been using the Digitech Midi-Vocalist for about five years and for live performances, it's tough to beat. Someone said they were made by the same outfit that produced the vocal processors in the PSR 740 and PSR-2000, and this may be the case. However, the difference in the live sound quality is significant--even after the PSR processor is tuned. Personally, I'll stick with the Digitech Midi-Vocalist--it does everything I need and then some.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#198211 - 01/03/03 11:40 AM Re: Digitech
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tom,

Before I bought my Ketron X4 with harmonizer, I used to play live with the Digitech Vocalist Workstation EX: http://www.digitech.com/products/vws.htm It has several presets and vocalizer modes. The sound quality is probably better than the internal solton vocalizer, but for me the no-wires internal vocalizer is a big advantage. That's why I don't use the Digitech anymore. I have it on a portuguese E-Bay for half the price it costed new. In case you are interested, Tom, please e-mail me directly.

-- José.

#198212 - 01/03/03 01:15 PM Re: Digitech
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Tom .... I use the same digitech as matias .. It works quite well and I don't use it to its full capacity ...
I know Scott Yee used one for quite a while also ... perhaps he will give his opinion...
t.

#198213 - 01/03/03 03:11 PM Re: Digitech
Roel Offline

Tom,

Try to find/purchase a Korg IH. Very compact, easy to use..... and sound very acceptable. (Samples on www.turforkest.com)
A used-one costs about 100 USD (?)

Roel

#198214 - 01/04/03 12:23 AM Re: Digitech
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The best value for the money is the Digitech Vocalist VR. It's a single space rackmount with digital reverb that is accesable from an external effects bus. (very cool)
The advantage over the Korg is the number of voices it plays at once and the effects.
The advantage over ALL the built in keyboards is the sound. It's just better. I don't care WHO makes the chip - the Digitech sounds more relistic than the Korg, Yamaha and Ketron units.
The TC is great, but costs a lot more, and it shuts down when you change programs ... the Digi does not. Makes smoother changes within a song.
Tom - the Midi Vocalist is an older technology and is more synthetic sounding. The tabletop model "workstation" has the newer sounds, and has more real time control on the unit.

#198215 - 01/04/03 09:28 AM Re: Digitech
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks for the heads up on the Digitech VR Dave. After reading what you said, I went to their website, looked up the specs and called my local music store. He has one in stock and I'm headed there as we speak to pick one up. He too says it's a vast improvement over the standard midi vocalist and high recommends the VR. I also agree that the built in vocal processors, even when tweeked and fine tuned, do not produce the same quality as the separate units. There is a significant difference in the quality of the vocals. Thanks again for the heads-up and I'll post my findings on the forum sometime next week.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#198216 - 01/04/03 10:43 AM Re: Digitech
Uncle Dave Offline

Gary ..... prepare to be spoiled !

#198217 - 01/05/03 04:32 PM Re: Digitech
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
UD, or others... is the Voiceprism really that much better than a Digitech Vocalist VR or Workstation?

#198218 - 01/05/03 08:22 PM Re: Digitech
Uncle Dave Offline

The voice Prism is superior in many ways, but in a live setting ... there is a MAJOR drawback to using it. When you change patches, the signal is muted for a second. Effects stop - voice stops ..... not a pretty sight for a quick change in the middle of a phrase. If you just leave an edit window open, and turn a particular voice on or off in real time ... it's fine, but a program change makes it hiccup.

Now, for the good stuff:

1)FAR superior effects and more of them
2)better control of voice formant (gender)
3)more real time parameters with dedicated knobs - effects, level, pan, whatever...
4)phantom power
5)mic mute button(great on breaks)
6)overal tone of voices is more realistic than the competition, but it's NOT earth shattering. A fine tuned ear will appreciate the difference.
7)GREAT screen - color, bolness ... easy to read. Really easy on the eyes in the dark.

In short ..... the TC is a much better piece.
Will it make you sound MUCH better in a live performance? Hard to tell - the subtleties may not come across as dominant in all cases.

My advice is to ALWAYS keep the lead vocal just ABOVE the harmonies(volume setting)so the realism is not lost. All harmonizers are a little fake sounding by them selves .... the trick is .... never let them work, BY THEMSELVES ! Keep them tightly woven around your lead vocal and sing believable phrases that make sense in a harmony arrangement. Don't just expect to hit the button and sound like the Beach Boys .... ain't ginna happen, my friend. Vocal arranging is an art in itself. In my world - it's the MOST important part of any performance.

#198219 - 01/05/03 08:29 PM Re: Digitech
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
I concur with UD's opinion of the TC Voice Prism. It's certainly better than any of the Digitech Harmonizers but don't expect it to make you sound like you've got a great backup group behind you. As with any harmonizer the less pronounced it is in the mix, the better off you'll be.

#198220 - 01/06/03 05:24 AM Re: Digitech
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Thanks everyone. I like the idea of the tabletop workstation model. I like real time controls.
thanks,

Tom

Tom

#198221 - 01/06/03 12:52 PM Re: Digitech
Uncle Dave Offline

Tom,
I got the Vocalist access back from Donny in another round of "Let's make a deal" so.... It's here and liquid !

Personally, I like the racks better than the table tops. The on/off buttons are just as easy to hit as the sliders are, and the screen is more stable. Other than a few small cosmetic differences, they sound the same.

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 01-07-2003).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online