SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#198127 - 02/27/03 05:38 PM MidiFiles - Why so darn expensive!?
The Accordionist Offline

So now that I am so enthralled with midifiles I decided to purchase some quality ones. Why are they so darn much!?

I went to Tune1000 because I liked the sound of their files, and when I went to see the price of their 750-song CD it was $US999!!! I couldn't believe it! They mention that they are all legal and "copyrighted" but I don't understand why a midifile needs to be copyrighted. It's the same as if you or I decided to play "Hey Jude" for a wedding. We don't owe a royalty to the Beatles for playing it, so why should I have to pay for somebody's midifile of the same song?

Looks like I'm banished to searching the web and listening to 100s of bad ones in order to get a few good ones. Maybe that's the value-add of Tune1000, but not $1000 worth of value add!

Seems like somewhere on the web there has to be a big fat, 10Mb compressed file with the top 1000 midifiles.

#198128 - 02/27/03 06:18 PM Re: MidiFiles - Why so darn expensive!?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
HI ! I may be able to help . Email me at danosmusic@yahoo.com

------------------
Piano Man's Music City
624 Frederick Rd .
Catonsville Md. 21228
410 747 0200
danosmusic@yahoo.com

#198129 - 02/27/03 06:21 PM Re: MidiFiles - Why so darn expensive!?
trtjazz Offline

Actually.....one is supposed to pay royalties on someone else's music when performed for profit. And it would Michael Jackson that you would owe the royalties, he owns the rights to the Beatles catalog. That's what ASCAP and BMI are all about.

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 02-27-2003).]

#198130 - 02/27/03 08:36 PM Re: MidiFiles - Why so darn expensive!?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
"why should I have to pay for somebody's midifile of the same song?"

. . . because someone had the time and talent to create that midi file. It didn't just materialize. There are a lot of songs available on the web for free. Probably most of them shouldn't be free because they were illegally posted after someone else bought them.
Most of us use some of these files, but we should be grateful that we can sometimes find a good free one. If we don't want to go to the trouble of creating them ourselves, or at least searching for them and editing them to our satisfaction, then we should be ready to pay someone to do all this work for us. A dollar or so per song actually isn't really that high. You only have to buy it once, but you can use it as often as you like.
I'm being hypocritical because I use a few I've "found" myself.
I suppose it's similar to the problem of "free" MP3s being downloaded by the millions. But that's another can of worms . . .
DonM

#198131 - 02/27/03 09:14 PM Re: MidiFiles - Why so darn expensive!?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
T1000 is one of the best, most consistant companies selling midi files. $1 per tune is cheap - they were packaged 10 in a box for $24.95. You're getting a deal.
Don't expect good stuff for nothing all the time, and don't get lazy either ..... keep squeeeeeezin that reedbox over top of the files.

#198132 - 02/28/03 03:30 AM Re: MidiFiles - Why so darn expensive!?
trtjazz Offline

I too agree with the $ amount here....someone deserves to get paid for the time, equipment, shipping and handling of the product and a buck or two per tune, seems dirt cheap to me, if you ever tried going through putting one of these tunes together.

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#198133 - 02/28/03 05:17 AM Re: MidiFiles - Why so darn expensive!?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Actually, I just checked the Tune1000 web site and they are running specials. You can buy an 80 pack of songs for $24.95! That's just over .33 cents a song!!!! If that isn't reasonable, I don't know what is.

Midi-Hits charges $8.95 a song. Maybe I should start making midi songs and selling them.

Hey if everyone in the group pitched in and helped make professional midi files, we could sell them and put the proceeds into a synthzone Hawaii Vacation/Annual Conference for members!!!

Al G

[This message has been edited by kbrkr (edited 02-28-2003).]

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#198134 - 02/28/03 06:10 AM Re: MidiFiles - Why so darn expensive!?
Dnj Offline

Make your own for FREE!!!!

#198135 - 02/28/03 06:46 AM Re: MidiFiles - Why so darn expensive!?
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Internet have some secrets...
Two years ago,I uploaded a bossa song created by myself(with copyright,of course)to my Hpage. OK
Two months latter, my song was in Cifraclube
as an especial gift of Mr. &*##%, with free download seal.
Good,very good.
Chico

#198136 - 02/28/03 08:19 AM Re: MidiFiles - Why so darn expensive!?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The sequencing business is a tough way to make a living..In the early years[mid 80's] I was happy to pay $13.95 for a Hands On Midi sequence. They were perfect. If anyone has tried to sequence"like the record" you know how difficult it is.Quick[workable]sequences made on an arranger keyboard are okay, and completed in one pass[most of the time], but a sequece like the "record" can take days to sequence. So picture this as your livelyhood, you sequence maybe a hundred songs, Advertise in Keyboard Mag[from $150-$1000 a month] with a 12 month contract. Produce a finished mailable media, maybe a news letter with a list of your sequences. Set up a 1-800 number for audition of your sequences..What is your time and cost factor now and without a sale yet? Now you are saying a $1 a tune is too much..If we don't support the "good" sequence companies, they won't exsist very long...I have been there and tried it..As a Tune 1000 dealer[$12.50 for 8-10 sequences ,plus shipping, dealer cost] I have the complete library[paid for], I will not distribute the volume, even though I am no longer a dealer, because I know the history and fall of these good programmers..I definately will send a tune on request to friends on accasions..The open stealing of sequences on the net do hurt sales for Tune1000,Tryco,Hands On Midi and others. I for one would not like to go back to sequencing the future songs because of a dried up market..this is very possible...If anyone would like me to mail a cd of Tune1000 library ,let me know?[just kidding]....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online