SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#198030 - 10/29/05 02:55 PM Software/Hardware combination Accompaniment Styles
hindimidi Offline

While the jury is still out on which Keyboard arranger is the best I want to find out which one is the best for creating custom styles. What if I created them in my MIDI sequencer (on PC) and then converted them using one of those programs (MidiToStyle) and then loaded it to the Keyboard (Floppy/USB). I can also use same instrument definitions while I create the styles so that I do not have to re-assign patches when I take the MIDIStyle on the board. This way style should work as if it was created using on-board style creator.

The most important question that I have is I want to use audio sample (LOOP) along with this style. (So that I can create custom LOOP using sounds that do not exist on the keyboard. I can keep the same KEY and Tempo between the MIDI style and the Audio LOOP). So the keyboard should play both(MIDI styles and the audio sample wav/mp3) in Sync. I can do something like this on Ableton Live. (But Ableton can not play the styles (Changing the progression, when I change the chord on my MIDI controller.) I can still use a MIDI controller to trigger the LOOP though.)

Maybe there are software programs like BIB or One Man Band that I am not aware of. Do they exist?

I googled but could not find a keyboard that can play an internal style with an internal audio LOOP. (Though it does not sound too hard achieve technically. You just need to add the Audio player of the Keyboard to play the LOOP with the style player. Just another track. They should also be able to time-stretch the LOOP if I want to adjust the Tempo on the fly. If the audio sounds too ugly then maybe I can turn off the audio track.)

Any ideas?

(Sorry for the cross-post. I had posted this in general forum but was direct to this forum)

#198031 - 10/29/05 05:15 PM Re: Software/Hardware combination Accompaniment Styles
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I saw your post in the General forum and answered it there, but Ed was right about the Gen Arranger forum being the best place to ask the q, so I'll repeat my response here.

I think the Korg PA80 and PA1x will play one shot samples as well as play samples across the keys, but not sure if there is an auto loop feature per se. I've had the PA80 for almost five years now and have never used the sampling feature. You can use custom voices in the styles, and I'm guessing that you could use sampled voices as well so this sounds like it should be possible. I'd also recommend posing the question at the Irish Acts forum. Lot's of avid Korg arranger users there.

I can do the same with FL studio and Orion Platinum as you with Ableton live. I use my laptop with one man band and I think it would be fairly straightforward to send a midi output from OMB to FL or Orion ( or in your case Live ) using Midi Thruway. I can send the Midi output of the PA80 into the laptop as well, so this should work without a hitch. I have already at times sent selected parts the PA80's style data via midi to one of my software hosts ( FL, Sonar, etc ) to get better voices for drums, bass lines etc. It sends midi clock data from the styles, so no problem syncing up.

I could just as easily assign the arranger output to a sample loop in FL and have it loop continuously with the style. I would simply modify one arranger style track so that it would send one note per style variation to trigger a looped sample. That note could be changed with each variation so that I could switch to a different sample loop each time I change variations. You should be able to do the same with Live using any arranger that will send midi style data out.

AJ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online