SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#198003 - 02/01/05 11:51 AM Watch this 11 year old girl perform
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi boys and girls,

the new generation of KB players is coming.... watch out...
http://www.kudous.com/mako/music/XYZ.wmv

Enjoy

Eric

#198004 - 02/01/05 12:18 PM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
WOW ... great talent, and that's an interesting set up ... any idea at to what kb she is playing?
t.

#198005 - 02/01/05 01:04 PM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Nice,
She's playing the new Yamaha Stagea organ

Regards,
Arno

#198006 - 02/01/05 01:16 PM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I give up. I quit. Time to play bingo.

Tom

#198007 - 02/01/05 01:25 PM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
WOW, not really the musicstyle I fancy too much,
but me oh my what an performance by this young
lady!

GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#198008 - 02/01/05 01:39 PM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cavanaugh:
I give up. I quit. Time to play bingo.

If I quit everytime I heard a kid who could play better than me, I wouldn't have lasted 2 weeks ... ....
and can she play "Misty" ??? ... ...
and I bet she hasn't had a guy propose to a girl while she was singing "Unchained Melody" either ... ....
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 02-01-2005).]

#198009 - 02/01/05 01:40 PM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Thats pretty neat, doesnt sound like music though only until the last couple seconds.

As for the kb, i think it actually may be a hammond, i forgot the name though, it has the same style stand and bench.

Phil

#198010 - 02/01/05 02:33 PM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Fantastic technique, but I would not be able to listen to her playing. Massive repeated arpeggios is not music IMO.
Starkeeper

#198011 - 02/01/05 04:33 PM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Pennywizz6:
..... doesnt sound like music though only until the last couple seconds.

Yeah, I noticed that too, maybe it was just the
moment the music was about to start and the guy
who did the movie found out it was no more film
in the camera?
GJ

#198012 - 02/01/05 04:36 PM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
KN_Fan Offline

That's the difference between 'young' and 'experienced' musicians.

Younger musicians don't necessarily play 'music' they do more of the 'showasing' their talents, how complicated their techniques are, how fast their fingers are, etc..."more experienced" players play more for people's enjoyment more than proving that they can 'play'

About 15 years ago I was at my dad's music store. A client came in and asked if I could demo the Technics' G7 organ..I played Al Jarreau's "Spain", improvisation and all...crazy scales, 13th chords I gave it all!! After all that- He was like "That was really GOOD! You're a good player, But I wanted to hear about the organ's ability...can you just play 'love me tender'instead? the one you just played was too complicated for me"

*slam*

A little lesson on humility at the early age LOL.

I remember another story- I was playing all this GRP stuff to my friend (not so musically inclined)...didn't get any responses at all, then I played Vanessa Cartlon's 1000 miles (close to the original songs) he was like boy you're really good!!

Go figure..heh..

[This message has been edited by KN_Fan (edited 02-01-2005).]

#198013 - 02/01/05 05:49 PM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by KN_Fan:
..."more experienced" players play more for people's enjoyment more than proving that they can 'play'

Hear, Hear!

And that's the secret to success.

I am very popular in my market, but every so often a young talented kid who can play way better than me tries to break in. And they can never work out why they can't make it!

KN, right on.

#198014 - 02/01/05 06:43 PM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
Arthur R. Jacobs Offline

Loc: Alma, Michigan, 48801 USA
Would love to hear her play a recognizable song, instead of an attact on the instrument,
that resulted in a great deal of noise.
ARJ

#198015 - 02/01/05 10:38 PM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
RyanS Offline

Loc: Jackson, MO, USA
Before I even looked at the replies, I watched the video. Then I read the replies and you all took the words right out of my mouth. Until the last 2-5 seconds, I think my dog could've played better than that. It was all a bunch of noise to me.

#198016 - 02/02/05 06:17 AM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Tony, I know what you mean but boy did she have fast fingers. I can play "Musty" and the "Girl With Emphysema" and even "Rolling on the River", but I can appreciate her technic. My fingers are old and slow.

These comments remind me of the difference between todays rock guitar players vs. an old jazz guitar player. My son has this friend that is considered to be a great rock soloist. He's very fast on the solos. He is also the guitar player in our praise band at Church. I direct the praise band and once I told him that he should be using a diminished chord in one spot. He didn't know what a diminished chord was. He's a kid that plays lots of notes.

I contrast this to an old (now dead) guitar player that used to play with our big band. He would sit and read off my chart (once in a while, most tunes he didn't need the chart) and effortlessly hit every chord, passing riffs and his occasional solo. Modulations and key changes didn't bother him at all. He just sat back and cruised the whole job. He actually died on the bandstand at a jazz festival in Virginia if I remember correctly. This guy played music not just a lot of notes.

Lots of notes do not make music but I still wish I had that kind of technic. I'm not quite ready for bingo yet.

Tom

Tom

#198017 - 02/02/05 08:01 AM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
Anonymous
Unregistered

First, forgive my poor Engilish. I'm a Japanese.
I was surprised to see the log of my site, because many guys watched the video.
That was only for our friends and neighbours.
Sumire, in this thread, is a student of my wife (an Electone teacher).

My wife said;
In 2004 contest, Sumire had to fight with her fast fingers, as you pointed out.
She is now studying Bill Evans, etc. Someday she will doing very well, I hope.
That was only a part of 5 minutes performance, and we are not allowed to let you see all, due to the copyright law.

Thanks.
KUDOUs.com

#198018 - 02/02/05 08:07 AM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
jerry6681 Offline

Loc: Sun Lakes, Az. United States
Playing fast notes without perfection and rhythm are nothing.. and that is what I heard this girl do. Cannonball Adderly became famous by playing fast notes but If he played a fast 16th.. every note was on the beat.. a far more difficult feat than just playing fast. Playing fast notes with rhythm and perfection at any tempo is the challange and offers the listener a pleasing and intricate sound. Being on the beat is also the least amount of energy.

I can play very fast notes and have spent a lifetime prefecting my technique. One of my made up exercises is pulling the fingers up in rhythm. I understand that slow and pretty notes are also important.

Jerry

#198019 - 02/02/05 12:24 PM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Scott "The Piano Guy" once said, "sometimes less is more".
Starkeeper

#198020 - 02/02/05 12:38 PM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
Gunnar Jonny Offline

But she is still only 11, so........
Also there are a lot of rythm, just look at her feet
GJ

#198021 - 02/02/05 01:03 PM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA
The last few chords sound like the chorus of a jazz-fusion standard the name of which excapes me at the moment. If am correct, then the solo that precedes it is entirely in keeping with the style and altogether approriate to the song in question.

This wouldn't work for the kind of gigs I do, but if she is doing a fusion thing it's perfect.

#198022 - 02/02/05 06:36 PM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
MrEd Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by genchichi:
First, forgive my poor Engilish. I'm a Japanese.
I was surprised to see the log of my site, because many guys watched the video.
That was only for our friends and neighbours.
Sumire, in this thread, is a student of my wife (an Electone teacher).

My wife said;
In 2004 contest, Sumire had to fight with her fast fingers, as you pointed out.
She is now studying Bill Evans, etc. Someday she will doing very well, I hope.
That was only a part of 5 minutes performance, and we are not allowed to let you see all, due to the copyright law.

Thanks.
KUDOUs.com

Genchichi,

The video clip shows me a very talented young lady with great technical ability. She has my respect and I applaud her for the qualities demonstrated. They don't come easy.
Its good to see youngsters involved in music.

I use to enjoy listening to Keith Emerson (of Emerson, Lake and Palmer) put on a good technique demonstration every now and then.
Sumire's performance reminded me of a similar song that he had played.

I hope to hear more from Sumire in the near future, playing something melodius, possibly from Bill Evans who she is now studying.

#198023 - 02/08/05 09:12 AM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
Alone&Forsaken Offline

Want to know whats funny...for all the slander directed at this girl, NO ONE here picked up the only honest slight that sticks out like a sore thumb in that INTRO clip.

Real funny watching everyone take stabs in the dark while missing the only thing that could be brought into question. Sad really...for the level of insults here ( like the "dog could play better" ) I would think the OLD WISE musicians on this board would have picked up on elements of the girls performance that ive had non musicians even notice.

http://www.berklee.edu/profiles/uehara.html
http://www.hiromimusic.com/biography.htm

HAHAHAH and to the guy that said "this isnt his style"....what he doesn't like Jazz :P

Guess what...other people that read this thread can tell adult men are threatened by a CHILD.

#198024 - 02/08/05 10:12 AM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Alone&Forsaken:
..HAHAHAH and to the guy that said "this isnt his style"....what he doesn't like Jazz :P

Oh well, what I said was: "WOW, not really the musicstyle I fancy too much..."

Just as I don't fancy all pieces I hear of classic, country, blues, rock or whatever.
But that do not mean that she can't play, or does it?
GJ

Btw, this clip "Desert on the Moon" sounds much better in my ears, BRILLIANT: http://telmedia.telarc.com:8080/ramgen/telarc/VIDEOS/83600-ISDN.rm

[This message has been edited by Gunnar Jonny (edited 02-08-2005).]

#198025 - 02/08/05 03:54 PM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
Alone&Forsaken Offline

"Btw, this clip "Desert on the Moon" sounds much better in my ears, BRILLIANT:"

What the ears that couldn't pick up the only honest slight in the 11 year old girls one min intro clip.

With the way people were attacking EVERYTHING about her, I find it funny as heck the only honest flaw in that intro clip...hasn't been spoken by anyone.

Yup the "Desert on the Moon" clip is GREAT, only I fail to see how that justifies the slander tossed at an 11 year old from ONLY a one min intro of a five plus min song...that many here wasn't aware of the original or could even lock down a genre for.

#198026 - 02/08/05 04:18 PM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
Alone&Forsaken Offline

"While I agree that the 'dog' comment was a little bit on the edge, I don't think many of the guys here are threatened by an 11 year old child (who got great and fast fingers by the way). As for me, I USED to play like that before, until my dad told me to 'tone it down'. Not all performance need to be treated like 'competition' that's all. Hey, who knows if she got another film that shows a different song? As for me I was trying to point out, when you were at that young age you basically focused more on fast fingering techiques, 13+ 11- complicated chords, etc...trying to explore all possible playing methods, and as you grow older all supposed to mellow out and evens out. I've been there myself, growing up in the late 70s-80s during the big boom of electone festivals (and won a few of them). OK at least I'm just trying to clear out the intention of my post."

So you used to play like that, and you dint pick up on the sore thumb slip in the girls clip. Its right in it...its honest...its easy to make out...but still NONE of the old wise musicians here have pointed it out.

Interesting...

"I used to play like that but I don't notice basic fundamental mistakes in a performance that I diss for all the wrong reasons"

just feels like all Im getting here.

Im not being an ass. Like what you like, think what you think...just please before the collective rings a death toll on a child.....at least be able to point out the objective faults. After all who wants to be the fool that told Mozart " its to many notes."

If no one after this can manage to figure out the slight of the childs intro clip...I know completely what Im dealing with. As everyone has been searching for something to knock her over, Im sure it would have been pointed out by now.

The only hint ill give is...when the flaw is noticed ( and its clear as day ), the girls performance is a bit more impressive for it.

#198027 - 02/08/05 04:29 PM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
Hey Forsaken...
Thanks for intro to Hiromi's music... Very cool... I just compose and not much of a player, so no scoffing here... The girl in the video got a hell of a future, if she's anything like Hiromi...
Thanks,
DJ

#198028 - 02/08/05 08:31 PM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Alone&Forsaken:
If no one can manage to figure out the slight of the childs intro clip...I know completely what Im dealing with.

Oh brother ...... here we go again.

#198029 - 02/09/05 09:17 AM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
Alone&Forsaken Offline

"Oh brother ...... here we go again."

Yeah here we go again...people getting defensive and having an attitude over things they dont notice.

Keep digging...

Sorry but if folks keep acting stupid here...ill post up EXACTLY what the slip is, then everyone can go " oh I knew that I just dint want to say it." :P

Kick and scream call me the bad guy if you want...IM only pointing out reality. LOL and given what wasn't noticed by a BOARD of musicians I could be treating folks like complete tone deaf dogs.

"Hey Forsaken...
Thanks for intro to Hiromi's music... Very cool... I just compose and not much of a player, so no scoffing here... The girl in the video got a hell of a future, if she's anything like Hiromi...
Thanks,"

No problem glad you enjoyed the links.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online