Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#198013 - 02/01/05 05:49 PM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by KN_Fan:
..."more experienced" players play more for people's enjoyment more than proving that they can 'play'

Hear, Hear!

And that's the secret to success.

I am very popular in my market, but every so often a young talented kid who can play way better than me tries to break in. And they can never work out why they can't make it!

KN, right on.

#198014 - 02/01/05 06:43 PM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
Arthur R. Jacobs Offline

Loc: Alma, Michigan, 48801 USA
Would love to hear her play a recognizable song, instead of an attact on the instrument,
that resulted in a great deal of noise.
ARJ

#198015 - 02/01/05 10:38 PM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
RyanS Offline

Loc: Jackson, MO, USA
Before I even looked at the replies, I watched the video. Then I read the replies and you all took the words right out of my mouth. Until the last 2-5 seconds, I think my dog could've played better than that. It was all a bunch of noise to me.

#198016 - 02/02/05 06:17 AM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Tony, I know what you mean but boy did she have fast fingers. I can play "Musty" and the "Girl With Emphysema" and even "Rolling on the River", but I can appreciate her technic. My fingers are old and slow.

These comments remind me of the difference between todays rock guitar players vs. an old jazz guitar player. My son has this friend that is considered to be a great rock soloist. He's very fast on the solos. He is also the guitar player in our praise band at Church. I direct the praise band and once I told him that he should be using a diminished chord in one spot. He didn't know what a diminished chord was. He's a kid that plays lots of notes.

I contrast this to an old (now dead) guitar player that used to play with our big band. He would sit and read off my chart (once in a while, most tunes he didn't need the chart) and effortlessly hit every chord, passing riffs and his occasional solo. Modulations and key changes didn't bother him at all. He just sat back and cruised the whole job. He actually died on the bandstand at a jazz festival in Virginia if I remember correctly. This guy played music not just a lot of notes.

Lots of notes do not make music but I still wish I had that kind of technic. I'm not quite ready for bingo yet.

Tom

Tom

#198017 - 02/02/05 08:01 AM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
Anonymous
Unregistered

First, forgive my poor Engilish. I'm a Japanese.
I was surprised to see the log of my site, because many guys watched the video.
That was only for our friends and neighbours.
Sumire, in this thread, is a student of my wife (an Electone teacher).

My wife said;
In 2004 contest, Sumire had to fight with her fast fingers, as you pointed out.
She is now studying Bill Evans, etc. Someday she will doing very well, I hope.
That was only a part of 5 minutes performance, and we are not allowed to let you see all, due to the copyright law.

Thanks.
KUDOUs.com

#198018 - 02/02/05 08:07 AM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
jerry6681 Offline

Loc: Sun Lakes, Az. United States
Playing fast notes without perfection and rhythm are nothing.. and that is what I heard this girl do. Cannonball Adderly became famous by playing fast notes but If he played a fast 16th.. every note was on the beat.. a far more difficult feat than just playing fast. Playing fast notes with rhythm and perfection at any tempo is the challange and offers the listener a pleasing and intricate sound. Being on the beat is also the least amount of energy.

I can play very fast notes and have spent a lifetime prefecting my technique. One of my made up exercises is pulling the fingers up in rhythm. I understand that slow and pretty notes are also important.

Jerry

#198019 - 02/02/05 12:24 PM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Scott "The Piano Guy" once said, "sometimes less is more".
Starkeeper

#198020 - 02/02/05 12:38 PM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
But she is still only 11, so........
Also there are a lot of rythm, just look at her feet
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#198021 - 02/02/05 01:03 PM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA
The last few chords sound like the chorus of a jazz-fusion standard the name of which excapes me at the moment. If am correct, then the solo that precedes it is entirely in keeping with the style and altogether approriate to the song in question.

This wouldn't work for the kind of gigs I do, but if she is doing a fusion thing it's perfect.

#198022 - 02/02/05 06:36 PM Re: Watch this 11 year old girl perform
MrEd Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by genchichi:
First, forgive my poor Engilish. I'm a Japanese.
I was surprised to see the log of my site, because many guys watched the video.
That was only for our friends and neighbours.
Sumire, in this thread, is a student of my wife (an Electone teacher).

My wife said;
In 2004 contest, Sumire had to fight with her fast fingers, as you pointed out.
She is now studying Bill Evans, etc. Someday she will doing very well, I hope.
That was only a part of 5 minutes performance, and we are not allowed to let you see all, due to the copyright law.

Thanks.
KUDOUs.com

Genchichi,

The video clip shows me a very talented young lady with great technical ability. She has my respect and I applaud her for the qualities demonstrated. They don't come easy.
Its good to see youngsters involved in music.

I use to enjoy listening to Keith Emerson (of Emerson, Lake and Palmer) put on a good technique demonstration every now and then.
Sumire's performance reminded me of a similar song that he had played.

I hope to hear more from Sumire in the near future, playing something melodius, possibly from Bill Evans who she is now studying.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online