SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#197825 - 09/22/04 03:19 PM Re: Some of Dave's prayers have been answered...
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
just wondering what the difference is between xg & xg lite ie is it to do with the number of sounds or more so to do with effects etc

Also what type of styles do the piano's use ie would they load a psr style??

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#197826 - 09/22/04 03:50 PM Re: Some of Dave's prayers have been answered...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Where is Steve Demming when you need him?

OK, I'll try to answer as many questions as I can.

Rikki: I have no idea what XG-Lite means, however, I can honestly tell you that the sounds coming from the board, both from the individual voices and styles were good to excellent quality. Additionally, the styles themselves included some that were not on the Tyros or 3000--totally new arrangements with many of them.

Tom: I'm pretty good at cooking up a batch of Kickapoo Joy Juice, but hair restorer? NAH!

Mike: It's not a piano--it's a synth. I don't believe anyone would expect the keys to be anything like piano keys. However, they were considerably more firm than those on the 2000, 2100, 3000 and Tyros. I did feel a noticeable difference. And, as you know, to me, it doesn't make a bit of difference.

Al: Why there is no uniformity in key size or touch sensitivity between models is beyond me--I don't have a clue, and I sincerely don't believe anyone else knows the rationale behind this as well.

Jim: I agree wholeheartedly. Yamaha's support leaves a lot to be desired, even for their top of the line boards. However, I believe you'll find this is the case with everything these days--including motor vehicles. It's unfortunatel, but true. That's why I have always recommended that anyone who is doing this for a living should have back-ups. I know that you and I both could not go more than 24 hours without having a keyboard.

Mike again: As for using the machine on the job, I would not hesitate to use it at all. Granted, it will not do what a Tyros or 3000 will do, however, in the hands of a good performer, it's more than adequate.

Bottom line: For the money, it's the best thing out there--bar none. In fact, I'm thinking about buying one for the family room and hooking it up to the Z-2200s. (Sure hope she doesn't log onto this site tonight!)

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#197827 - 09/22/04 04:41 PM Re: Some of Dave's prayers have been answered...
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Gary,

Steve is hanging out at the www.arrangerworkstation.com site. If you post this message on the Tyros forum over there, he'll answer immediately.

Steve actually just got me some new music stand brackets for my Tyros.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#197828 - 09/23/04 06:46 AM Re: Some of Dave's prayers have been answered...
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
Gary,

Steve is hanging out at the www.arrangerworkstation.com site. If you post this message on the Tyros forum over there, he'll answer immediately.

Al

No he won't. Look under "freebies" and you'll see my post asking about the feasibility of a 76-note arranger workstation.

#197829 - 09/23/04 07:54 AM Re: Some of Dave's prayers have been answered...
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I'll take a stab at comparing XG lite with full XG voices.
XG lite is for playback only, no editing. The Roland EXR's have XG lite with no editing. It will be able to play back MIDI files with XG voices.
Full XG Voices allows editing with an XG editor, like XG Works.
Starkeeper

#197830 - 09/23/04 09:04 AM Re: Some of Dave's prayers have been answered...
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
I have been admiring the DGX-500 series keys for quite some time on my previous posts and finally another person feels the same way. The key feel is just great.

This might be a toss up with the CASIO WK3000 series.

#197831 - 09/23/04 11:03 AM Re: Some of Dave's prayers have been answered...
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi,
just wondering what the difference is between xg & xg lite ie is it to do with the number of sounds or more so to do with effects etc

Also what type of styles do the piano's use ie would they load a psr style??

best wishes
Rikki

Rikki,

The XG standard includes a lot of technical details, but for the purpose of this conversation, it basically means a minimum of 480 voices, arranged in a standard (ala GM) order with a minimum amount of control parameters. XGlite doesn't implement all the control parameters.

Steve

------------------
Yamaha Customer Support
YCASupport@yamaha.com

#197832 - 09/23/04 11:11 AM Re: Some of Dave's prayers have been answered...
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
No he won't. Look under "freebies" and you'll see my post asking about the feasibility of a 76-note arranger workstation.

Esh,

I will answer, I just won't discuss when Yamaha will be releasing future product. I was trying to tell you that I can't discuss it, without leading you to believe that there might be something on the horizon.

Steve

------------------
Yamaha Customer Support
YCASupport@yamaha.com

#197833 - 09/23/04 03:53 PM Re: Some of Dave's prayers have been answered...
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Guys,
thanks to everyone that answered on the xg lite question.

As for the styles question, it appears that I may have found the answer in the DGX505 Manual on page60. It appears that it can load .sty files via the multi media card. STYLE 136 appears to be a User Style.It has limitations as I think it only has 1 Intro & Ending and 2 variations and fills.
I could live with that. OMB's editing facilities can easily overcome that problem, plus there's all the great programs written by Michael Bedderson , and by Jorgeon.

Haven't worked my way through the whole manual yet, but sounds pretty interesting.

I've slowly been converting my psr styles to work with OMB & my clp170. If the sounds are similar ( the clp's got xg or xglite ? not sure which) certainly would be a great portable back up.

best wishes
Rikki

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 09-23-2004).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#197834 - 09/24/04 05:10 AM Re: Some of Dave's prayers have been answered...
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Rikki, just design your own GM/XG wavetable and use a softsynth. The sounds will be much better - plus it is very easy to carry around, i.e., the bits weigh 0 pounds. A midi controller keyboard weighs less than an arranger or workstation. Therefore your net loss in weight could be many pounds. Rikki you can't lose.

In fact, I would say the Roland HQ Hyper Canvas 26mb wavetable sounds better than the 4mb Yamaha XG, i.e., virtual acoustic instruments sound closer to the real acoustic instruments. Now with OMB you can convert the Yamaha drums in the styles to GM and use this wavetable.

You see if I keep at this, Rikki will just give up and use a dumb keyboard and a computer to do everything and do it much better. It could happen!!!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online