SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#197725 - 01/04/05 08:45 PM Uncle Dave...
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
I see that you are from the Philly area...did
you ever have the pleasure of meeting or playing with Al or Buddy Greco...Al played
tenor flute and baritone, Buddy, his brother
went on to become South Philly's son the famoso "Buddy Greco" singer piano player...
Al toured with me in the late 70's early 80's, fantastic horn player and musican....

#197726 - 01/04/05 09:51 PM Re: Uncle Dave...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hey Tony, I would kill to be able to meet (and even jam with) Buddy Greco 'in person'. I've even officially listed him in my bio (along with Bobby Darin) as the 2 top musical influences in my own musical style development. Not only was Greco the cool hep cat of the 50's & 60's but an exceptional musician as well. My favorite Buddy Greco album is his LIVE album entitled: "My Buddy":
http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=1618739

Scott

#197727 - 01/04/05 10:04 PM Re: Uncle Dave...
tcon Offline

Loc: Pinellas Park.Florida. usa
Hi guys.I am a returning member.I think my last user I D was lost when the system crashed ,so I had to re register.Anyway, I just wanted to mention that I worked with Buddy Greco back in 1971. What an incredible musician and showman.We performed for the u s and nato forces in Naples,Italy.Buddy had requested a grand piano and a proper stool in his contract. He was quite perturbed when he got to the gig and found out that he only had an old upright piano and,believe it or not, some stacking chairs to sit on.He did a wonderful show,but backstage he almost attacked his road manager for letting it happen.Terry

#197728 - 01/04/05 10:28 PM Re: Uncle Dave...
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
I've even officially listed him in my bio (along with Bobby Darin) as the 2 top musical influences in my own musical style development.

Speaking of Bobby Darin...Has anybody seen the new movie "Beyond The Sea" ?
The reviews have not been overwhelming, but then again movie critics have been wrong before.

The Trailer and Reviews: http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/beyondthesea.html

Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#197729 - 01/05/05 07:22 AM Re: Uncle Dave...
Tony Rome Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Hey Tony, I would kill to be able to meet (and even jam with) Buddy Greco 'in person'. I've even officially listed him in my bio (along with Bobby Darin) as the 2 top musical influences in my own musical style development. Not only was Greco the cool hep cat of the 50's & 60's but an exceptional musician as well. My favorite Buddy Greco album is his LIVE album entitled: "My Buddy":
http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=1618739

Scott

Both of them were great musicans...I got to know Buddy thru his brother Al that played sax for me and arranged some of my music...I miss him...he passed away about 7 years ago..
the best memory I have of Buddy was when he was playing in Atlantic City and i took a lady friend to see him and when he saw me in the audiance, he greeted me ansd said hello to my friend an then I got embrassed, My frien, lovely as she was, said in her deep Tenn. draw, "can you sing Delta Dawn" everyone started laughing while I slowly sank into my chair...he looked at me smiled and what do you think, he did the damned song for her....later backstage when I presented her to him she just thanked him with much emotion and he just laughed his ass off at me for my being embarassed in the first place....

#197730 - 01/05/05 07:28 AM Re: Uncle Dave...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Never had the pleasure of seeing or talking with the guys you mentioned. I work so many nights, that over the years I hardly ever get to see other performers ... famous or local. I DID however get to see Joey D'Francesco at a wedding once, when he was about 10 or 12 years old. He sat in on my gear and blew the doors off the place. The keys were still smokin' when he got off the stage!

Speaking of movies:
I caught the new "Phantom of the Opera" movie yesterday. ( VERY close to my heart )
This productin is very true to the Andrew Lloyd Webber play, with a few additions and some spoken dialog that took some getting used to, but overall - I need to own this movie when it comes to DVD.
The phantoms voice did not come close to what Michael Crawford did on stage, but the rest of the cast did a pretty good job.

I'm not sure I want to hear Kevin Spacey sing after the things I've read, but I am curious about Bobby Darins life .... I might take that one in too.

I reccomend the "Phantom" highly, but be prepared to see some variations from the stage production. I think after I see it again, I'll like it more .... I was just SO into the stage show, it was hardly fair to try and match that level of expertise.
Visually ... it's stunning!

#197731 - 01/05/05 08:33 AM Re: Uncle Dave...
Tony Rome Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Never had the pleasure of seeing or talking with the guys you mentioned. I work so many nights, that over the years I hardly ever get to see other performers ... famous or local. I DID however get to see Joey D'Francesco at a wedding once, when he was about 10 or 12 years old. He sat in on my gear and blew the doors off the place. The keys were still smokin' when he got off the stage!

Speaking of movies:
I caught the new "Phantom of the Opera" movie yesterday. ( VERY close to my heart )
This productin is very true to the Andrew Lloyd Webber play, with a few additions and some spoken dialog that took some getting used to, but overall - I need to own this movie when it comes to DVD.
The phantoms voice did not come close to what Michael Crawford did on stage, but the rest of the cast did a pretty good job.

I'm not sure I want to hear Kevin Spacey sing after the things I've read, but I am curious about Bobby Darins life .... I might take that one in too.

I reccomend the "Phantom" highly, but be prepared to see some variations from the stage production. I think after I see it again, I'll like it more .... I was just SO into the stage show, it was hardly fair to try and match that level of expertise.
Visually ... it's stunning!

Thanks Dave....I to have a special place in my heart for the "Phantom" having seen it 8 times with the original London cast....I'm waiting for the movie to come to Cozumel Mexico then I will suround myself in it...

#197732 - 01/05/05 08:38 AM Re: Uncle Dave...
Uncle Dave Offline

It's a great production ..... even if it pales ( slightly ) to the stage show.
You're gonna love it !

I do a full medley in costume for dinner shows and special events ( like Saint Valentines Day )and the response is so good ..... people just love the mystery and the theatrics of it all. Smoke, strobe lights .... it's fun too!

#197733 - 01/05/05 08:57 AM Re: Uncle Dave...
Tony Rome Offline

You must put on quite a show...why not put up a flim clip....I would like to see it...
I only use the mask and dim lighting but the people allways enjoy the music....waiting for your video clip....

#197734 - 01/05/05 10:24 AM Re: Uncle Dave...
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
UD, I had the good fortune of seeing Michael Crawford in Phantom many years ago. An absolutely amazing, awe inspiring performance. I had chills down to my ankles listing to him. I could probably look up the theatre I saw him at, but the acoustics were amazing.

Thanks for reminding me of that show!

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#197735 - 01/05/05 10:27 AM Re: Uncle Dave...
Tony Rome Offline

If memory serves me correctly, it was at the Majestic...The best show I've ever seen....

#197736 - 01/05/05 12:27 PM Re: Uncle Dave...
Uncle Dave Offline

I have a still shot in costume, but it was pretty long ago - I still have some hair !
Maybe Donny can show me how to post it...
It might even be on my site(not sure) www.boydsongs.com
The audio medely is too long to send in an email, but maybe I can get that up on the site as well.

#197737 - 01/05/05 01:42 PM Re: Uncle Dave...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
UD ... it's there ... but then you KNEW that ... lookin' good mon !!!
t.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online