SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#197544 - 05/13/03 09:58 PM To all "Live" Laptop users
sunster Offline

Loc: Mumbai, INDIA
Hi!
I have a PSR 740, A powered mixer, 2 good speakers and a nice studiomaster wireless MIC. I do small shows for charity only but now am looking at it a bit professionally after many suggestions from people. I have a P3 IBM laptop which I had used once during our neighbourhood New Year's eve party. I just used it to play MP3s. I wanna use the laptop more extensively in my future gigs. I ws wondering after looking at Uncle Dave's setup...is the Laptop connected to the keyboard and when yu say utlising MIDI during a live show, what does that mean. What I wanna know is what CAN I do with my laptop and keyboard combined? Has the Laptop got to be connected to the KB or is it just for the breaks where I can play in some quick MP3s. Please advise
THANX

#197545 - 05/14/03 01:00 AM Re: To all "Live" Laptop users
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Your laptop has got more than enough power to have your MP3 player and a sequencer package loaded simultaneously so you can instantly use whichever is appropriate.

You should be able to connect the laptop to the 740 using a "to host" cable (plugs into your serial port) and the Yamaha Serial port driver that can be downloaded from Yamaha. This acts like a midi cable and plugs into the mini-din on the back of the 740.

However, you may have to fiddle your power saving and/or mouse detection settings to ensure that the serial port can be used for the Yamaha cable. On an oldish Compaq Armada 7792 I've been given, plugging in my homebrew "to host" cable locks up the computer! I think this is a mouse problem but I haven't found the setup section yet! The cable works fine on my desktop machine.

#197546 - 05/14/03 02:17 AM Re: To all "Live" Laptop users
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I use a Thinkpad A21m with a Technics kn7000 in two ways. Since I have not memorised the 1200 or so songs I have(not incl 1000 midi's),I have to read them as fake sheets. I scanned them into my laptop with the Paperport software that came with my Visioneer OneTouch USB scanner. Since my KB has an SD card,I have all my settings in the same order as the laptop.
The other use is midi tracks. I use midi tracks as a vocal backing as well as instrumental. I personally feel that midi can be overused and discretion used in selection.The melody track can be muted.

As far as connection is conscerned,I have three options.I can feed the sequence from the laptop midiplayer into my line in(or powered mixer in your case),or use USB or midi connection to the sequencer of the KB. In my case,the quality of sound is better using the voices in my KB rather than the GM2 midi voices,but I lose control of the KB somewhat if I want to play along with it. Most times the quality is good enough to play direct from the laptop with quality tracks.

I also use "MidiNotate",a $34.95 notation program that I easily set to show any midi playing,as a lead or fake sheet with chords. This is displayed on the laptop with lyrics(if present)also for vocals.

In my case I find the laptop very helpful indeed. Sorry for the long dissertation,but maybe it will at least partly answer your question.
Bernie

#197547 - 05/14/03 05:23 AM Re: To all "Live" Laptop users
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I have always bought keyboards that have audio inputs so I can send a mixer signal right TO the on board speakers. I have a 4 channel stereo mixer that combines my laptop audio out(mp3 & midi), my harmonizer, a guest mic and a dedicated out from the drums (when I need it).

This allows me to monitor all signals from the kb. I have my midi files loaded into folders that I keep up on the screen, and the VanBasco player does a nice job with these. The audio files are also in folders(40's, 50's etc ...)and winamp plays them very well. I can simply scroll to a title, and hit the enter key to play any file.
The midi files are being played by the sound card using Roland's Virtual Sound Canvas software, and they sound almost as good as if they came from a keyboard engine. For high demand sound .... I use a midi interface from the laptop into the Korg for better drums and brass parts.

I strongly advise any of you that are tied to lyric sheets to force yourselves to learn the words. It is SO important to have a comfort zone with the lyric before you can fully deliver the message. Reading is a habit, and it CAN be broken. You remember lots of other stuff ..... try learning the words to the stuff you do the most. A true professional show should not have the performer's eyes in a book. (That's for recording or practice.) When it's show time ..... Put on a show.
Once you learn the words, you can start to understand the lyric ... not before. You need all your attention to fully make it your own.

#197548 - 05/14/03 05:46 AM Re: To all "Live" Laptop users
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
I use my Thinkpad 380Z (and my desktop) to drive my 740 using XGworks. This gives me access to the whole synth inside the 740 with essentially the same sort of capability as an MU80 or MU100 but with more DSPs and different non-XG instruments. In other words, I can change the sounds on the 740 much more than I could just using the keyboard features. Because of this, I now use the 740 as my exclusive MIDI synth since the sounds are far better than any but the high end sound cards (such as the SW1000XG). One of the nice things about XGworks is that it can generate styles just using the melody and chords straight off a fake sheet so you don't need Band-in-a-Box or Jammer and you don't have to swap programs because you have a powerful sequencer at the same time. The only problem with XGworks is that it doesn't really cater for keyboards but I've fixed that problem for the 740 and 2000 by reconstructing all the definitions and tables.

Bryan

#197549 - 05/14/03 06:26 AM Re: To all "Live" Laptop users
Dnj Offline

Another LT suggestion is to get one with a Finger Mouse Pad ....not the type with the little RED knob in between the keys. It is far more easier to use your finger if you use the most "LEAST SENSITVE" mouse setting.
If not and if its to sensitive while your sufing files its too easy to set off a SMF or MP3 its most embarassing to a performer while playing a ballad and all of a sudden hear "Who let the Dogs Out" or something like that YIKES!!!!! Also put a "Tail" on your mouse curser...this will make it easier to see when you use it. I also use the up/down arrows and enter key besides the finger pad alot.

#197550 - 05/14/03 06:58 AM Re: To all "Live" Laptop users
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

I come from a different school of thought on laptop use from some of the others. I use a Fujitsu P-2120 subcompact laptop with a single JBL EON10 G2 when performing with a grand piano, as I did for a brunch this past Mother's Day. It's a very small but powerful subcompact notebook. Here's the URL for the laptop if interested in more info:
http://webshop.fujitsupc.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=P2

I use the Yamaha S-YXG50 softsynth because all of my midi files are in XG and I prefer the sound over the Roland VSC's. My only midi file player is the file preview function in Windows 2000 - I just open the folder where the files are and select the midi file I want with my mouse and a little "play" window comes up on the left. Simple and fast. I don't sing so I don't have to deal with lyrics, and all of my one-page leadsheets are in non-glare page protectors in a nice binder.

I chose the P-2120 because of it's small size and loads of features. It's my constant companion, so I can also tinker with my midi files anytime and I keep my album CD designs and promo on it. I am also using this as a softsynth studio with Reason and Sonar.

[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 05-14-2003).]

#197551 - 05/14/03 07:30 AM Re: To all "Live" Laptop users
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Pro, I like the size, but I agree with DNJ, we need the touch pad..

#197552 - 05/14/03 07:39 AM Re: To all "Live" Laptop users
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
What about sound cards?
If you using your keyboard to generate the sounds from MIDI than you just need a sound card with MIDI out, but if the LT is used to generate the sounds, what sound card do you use?
If you use a softsynth to generate the sounds, what sound card do you need?
If the sound card generated the sounds, what sound card do you need?
I'm confused on these issues.
Starkeeper

#197553 - 05/14/03 07:44 AM Re: To all "Live" Laptop users
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkeeper:

If you use a softsynth to generate the sounds, what sound card do you need?
Starkeeper

Softsynths use the stock internal soundcard of the laptop or whatever PC they are run on. In effect, they turn the computer into a sound module. They are totally software-based and are not dependent on the soundcard's hardware synth chip to play MIDI files, hence the term "softsynth".

Also on the touch pad preference - you can always get an external USB one... in fact that might be better because you could put it whereever you wanted.

[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 05-14-2003).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online