SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#197417 - 10/24/04 04:50 PM Digitech VR vs Vocalist Performer, etc
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I know a lot of members have and liek the Vocalist VR, but what about the other models? Are they as good and easy to use as the VR?

#197418 - 10/24/04 05:07 PM Re: Digitech VR vs Vocalist Performer, etc
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Cassp,

In the opinion of many singers/performers who have used them, the Digitech Vocalist VR is rated extremely high. Some folks seem to prefer the TC Helicon a bit more, however, for the price of the TC, you can purchase a pair of VRs and have a few bucks left over to buy a high quality mic.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#197419 - 10/24/04 05:31 PM Re: Digitech VR vs Vocalist Performer, etc
Dnj Offline

Talk to Uncle Dave he is the vocalizer Master!
The Digitech is more user friends in a live situaton..

#197420 - 10/24/04 06:04 PM Re: Digitech VR vs Vocalist Performer, etc
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
The only reason I bought the TC voiceworks is because it is a complete vocal channel with effects,vocal doubling,pitch correction, dynamics,eq + the harmonies. I used to have the digitech, I forget the model but it was the first one they came out with about 10 years ago, and I have to say that was quite a Machine I loved it. When I bought the voiceworks I was torn between a Digitech and the TC helicon, it did cost me about$650 but to me the big advantage is, along with my mic and the voiceworks I bring my sound to any system I plug into.
And the harmonies and midi implementation aren't bad either.

------------------
qqqwq@hotmail.com

#197421 - 10/24/04 06:29 PM Re: Digitech VR vs Vocalist Performer, etc
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I've owned a Digitech Vocalist Workstation EX, used the Digitech Vocalist VR, and currently own a TC Helicon VoiceWorks unit.

I'm very impressed with the sound quality and ease of use, of the VoiceWorks unit utilizing it mostly for in studio production. For 'live' performance, I use the conveniently 'built in' vocal harmonizer on the Yamaha Tyros. It doesn't sound as clean as the VoiceWorks, but for a live situation, the Tyros built in harmonizer more than adequately provides decent sounding backup vocal harmonies.

You can hear the TC Helicon 'VoiceWorks' utilized on my following MP3 songs:

* Ring Of Fire
* Things We Said Today

which are posted on my website: http://scottyee.com
then go to: Song Demos Page

Scott

#197422 - 10/25/04 06:51 AM Re: Digitech VR vs Vocalist Performer, etc
LeoD Offline

Loc: Lusk, Co. Dublin . Rep.of Irel...
Scott,
I've just today joined this forum, and browsing around VH subject caught my eye....because I have had great difficulty getting VH on Tyros to behave. I've addressed the issue on other forums...got lots of advice but as yet Tyros VH has tendency to distort on high end vocals...& does not compare with clarity and crispness of VH on Yamy9K which I also have....I have tried everything I know & variation of settings to solve the issue , but problem persists especially at gigs requiring higher vols.
Am currently considering seperate VH unit..perhaps Digitech VR, or just revert to 9K ...but thenI lose all the benefits of Tyros..
Would appreciate any comment /advise you might have on the matter.

Thanks
LeoD

#197423 - 10/25/04 07:44 AM Re: Digitech VR vs Vocalist Performer, etc
Dnj Offline

Keep the gain POD down to 9 O'Clock on the 3k ...On the Tyros keep the Mic gain Vol Way Down and boost the Master.

#197424 - 10/25/04 10:21 AM Re: Digitech VR vs Vocalist Performer, etc
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Leo,

At first I too thought the Tyros harmonizer was junk. Once I got the settings right it works ok. It works well enough that I sold my Digitech VR. I do use it very sparingly however.

Tom

Tom

#197425 - 10/25/04 10:53 AM Re: Digitech VR vs Vocalist Performer, etc
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by LeoD:
Scott,
I've just today joined this forum

LeoD, a great BIG welcome to SZ.

Quote:
Originally posted by LeoD:
Tyros VH has tendency to distort on high end vocals . . .problem persists especially at gigs requiring higher vols.

Along with my EV 757 microphone (which has a high output signal level) I keep the mic input (trim) knob at the rear of the Tyros set at 1:00 with the Master Volume level set at between 12:00 & 2:00. I too have experienced some vocal harmony distortion, but only on rare occasion. For the majority of situations the Tyros built in VH works fine for me, but when I require the CLEAREST distinct EXPOSED harmonies I'll utilize my "VoiceWorks" unit. I trust that (in time) arranger keyboard manufacters will continue to include new & better vocal harmony technology in their keyboards. Like everything else in computer technology, it seems that add on features always remain 1 step (generation) behind the latest dedicated (VH in this case) units.

Leo, if you're wanting a stand alone VH unit for live work, I'd recommend checking out TC Helicon's new placed on the floor & foot pedal activated "Voice Live" unit:
http://www.tc-helicon.tc/VoiceLive

If I had to do it all over again, for live performance convenience, I would have purchased the "VoiceLive". Unfortunately this model was not yet available when I purchased the "VoiceWorks".

Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com

#197426 - 10/25/04 11:44 AM Re: Digitech VR vs Vocalist Performer, etc
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
OK, let me rephrase this question - I've got $200-300 to spend and I want to spend it on a vocalizer. What's my best bet? I'm not spending $600-$1000 on VoiceWorks.

#197427 - 10/25/04 12:08 PM Re: Digitech VR vs Vocalist Performer, etc
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Digitech Vocalist VR--it rocks. Go to Uncle Dave's site and listen to his MP3s and you'll have a good idea of its potential. http://www.boydsongs.com/Track1.mp3

Sells for about $325 in the music stores, but some sites have it for just under $300.

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 10-25-2004).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#197428 - 10/25/04 12:52 PM Re: Digitech VR vs Vocalist Performer, etc
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Another pleased VR user checking in. I too had horrible high end distortion when using the Tyros harmonizer...I have been very, very satisified with the external VR unit.

Bill in Dayton

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online