SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#197357 - 04/07/02 09:27 PM Accidents happen
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lately, some of the venues I have been playing have been requesting certificates of insurance protecting their members, guests or patrons from injury or damage from any neglect on my part. I looked into the insurance and was quoted over $700 for minimal coverage.

Tonight, at a country club of Sr. Citizens (with no stage) a man spun his wife and both lost control causing her to crash into one of my speakers. Fortunately, no one was hurt...but the stand toppled over and speaker careened to the floor face up.

Given the space I had to work in, I prepared for any eventuality I could imagine....but this was a surprise that could have turned into a law suit.

Some drywall was damaged. The skin to my Peavey speaker was ripped...but it could have been a lot worse. Somebody could have got hurt really bad.

I take full responsibility for any damage or injury caused by my malfeasance...but when the venue does not give you adequate space to play in, or a stage that keeps you isololated from the audience...where does the fault lie?

I raised this issue months ago on this board and there was not much interest. For my Professional player friends on this forum,...take heed. This kind of situation could result in disastorous consequences.

We take a major chance playing in venues that make us sign agreements that say we are responsible for anything that causes harm to anyone.

Eddie

#197358 - 04/08/02 12:26 AM Re: Accidents happen
Big Red Offline

Loc: Canada
I had a similar occurrence at a venue a few months ago, and I have to admit that the thought of having insurance against any mishaps has never entered my head.

That said, I believe it's a two-way street and that the venue has to bear some responsibility. It's their premises they open to the public and there are inherent risks in any place where a group of people congregate; all the more so where exaggerated body movement (i.e. dancing) in situations where collision with bulky static objects (i.e. bass bins, etc.) is entirely possible.

Too many places expect the entertainer to set up in a corner of a room with no physical separation from an audience in close proximity to the "stage" area. Is it not, then, incumbent upon the venue to provide reasonable separation between performer and audience in the knowledge that there are risks involved.

The other side of the equation is that we performers take all reasonable steps and precautions to minimise those risks by keeping cables and cords securely taped down well away from the "danger zone" at the front, and that our speakers, etc., are securely mounted and positioned so as to present minimal risk to members of the audience.

I'm not a lawyer, but perhaps we have people in this forum who are in the legal fraternity or who have a clear understanding of the issues involved here. Let's hear from them on this subject.

#197359 - 04/08/02 08:30 AM Re: Accidents happen
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
As a sub contracter, I feel it's my responsibility to make sure nothing of MINE casuses harm to anyone. I carry a liability policy for $1,000,000 dollars to insure against injury or hardship caused by my negligence. Add alcohyl & dancing to the picture and who knows WHO will be blamed for anything. The simple fact is - as a contracter, I need to cover MY business when I take it on the road. We don't work FOR these venues .... they are our CLIENTS. We work together.....or should, anyway.
Thankfully - I've never filed a claim or had a suit brought against me.
My advice - GET the insurance.

#197360 - 04/08/02 09:29 AM Re: Accidents happen
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
If you're a pro musician, carrying liability insurance is just a part of running a business. Many halls/venues REQUIRE that you carry it. - Scott

#197361 - 04/08/02 12:26 PM Re: Accidents happen
Big Red Offline

Loc: Canada
Yes indeed, Uncle Dave and Scott, absolutely right (from our points of view). But . . . is that how a lawyer sees things? That's why I'm hoping someone in the profession might chip in on this forum. It's fascinating stuff, right?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online