SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#197288 - 02/15/03 06:47 AM advice peavey kb/A300
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
hi all ,seen this amp for sale , would i have to connect psr2000 through it with one jack plug mono ,its supposed to be for a keyboard,i would not like to have to buy another,all help appreciated,mike

#197289 - 02/15/03 09:24 AM Re: advice peavey kb/A300
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
It's a great amp, but it's bulky and HEAVY. It's also mono, so yes - all you need is one cable from the KB output.

#197290 - 02/15/03 09:38 AM Re: advice peavey kb/A300
nardoni2002 Offline

thanks,so that means that the sound quality will not be as good as some of the sounds from my psr2000 will not be present,mike

#197291 - 02/15/03 11:34 AM Re: advice peavey kb/A300
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Your 2000 will NOT sound very good through a MONO sound source. All those Killer stereo samples will sound bland and dull. There are numerous STEREO amp alternatives that you can look into. There are some stereo keyboard amps such as from Motion Sound. I purchased a great amp called the SFX200 from Fender which is a stereo keyboard amp, but it is discontinued.

Another way to go is to purchase two powered speakers and connect left to one speaker and right out to the other and have a true stereo setup. Mackie and JBL have some fine speakers, albeit very costly. The JBL EON G2 servies goes for about 1200.00 US on Ebay.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#197292 - 02/15/03 12:34 PM Re: advice peavey kb/A300
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I've been a fan of stereo since I was a kid, but the simple truth is ..... MOST areas of the room do NOT benifit from the stereo separation, and some areas can definatly suffer from the spread.
If the sound coming from your keyboard is still heard ABOVE the amplified signal, then chances are (thanx Johnny)the room will still hear your KB speakers too.
The idea that ONLY stereo is acceptable is rubbish. Phil Specter recorded hundreds of chart topping hits in the 60's in mono. Major studios ALWAYS check the mono mix before releasing a song and in most cases, a performance will reach more ears in a mono setting.

So, do I still prefer stereo? Sure ....... that's why I sit right in front of the keyboard speakers, and why I won't play a kb WITHOUT speakers. MY seat has to sound good to me. If that's good, then the rest of the night will be good. If I don't like the way it sounds ... then I'm crabby all night.

Don't fret about the minisqule loss of fidelity in a mono setting. 99% of the listening public is NOT in the right place to hear the true stereo spread anyway. It may have a "tiny" bit more presence and fullness but in a crowded room with chit chat and noise ........ a KB300 will pump out some major tone and fill most rooms. The only drawback is the horn .... it can tend to be rather harsh at high volumes, because it's a passive double piezo driver. At moderate levels .... that amp kicks. At loud levels, it STILL kicks .... it just hurts a little. (to those of us that still have good hearing, that is )

If your needs are not so demanding, and loud is not what you are after, then maybe a smaller, stereo set up would make you happier, but don't pass on the amp just because it's mono.

#197293 - 02/15/03 01:27 PM Re: advice peavey kb/A300
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Gotta' agree with U.D. Most of the places you play do not lend themselves to stereo sounds, and although my current Peavy amp head is full stereo, I never, repeat, never use it as a stereo amp. I can almost guarantee you that your audiences will never know the difference.

As for the KB300, I used one for nearly three years, it was a great amp, kicked butt for output power and really did a great job. I didn't have a problem with the horns, but I also didn't crank it up to higher levels. This, however, could be overcome with the PSR-2000s built-in mixer and EQ by toning down some of the high frequency sounds. The only drawback of the KB-300 was it tipped the scales at about 97 pounds, which by the end of a 10-night run, seemed like it weighed twice that much. The KB-300 is a great amp Mike and I sincerely believe you'll like what you'll hear.

Insofar as running more than one cable, you can actually run a cable from both keyboard outputs, which IMHO produces a bit fuller sound. The amp has a three channel, built-in mixer, one specifically for voice and the other two for instruments. When I was playing with a guitar player, I would usually only use the mono output from the keyboard and run his guitar through the second input.

Good Luck,

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 02-15-2003).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#197294 - 02/15/03 03:07 PM Re: advice peavey kb/A300
Evangelical Offline

Loc: San Diego
While stereo spread and panning may not be an audible factor for a crowd in a large setting, I don't think that was what Al was referring to when he mentioned stereo sampled sounds. Some voices, particularly the yamaha e pianos, are sampled that way and sound pretty weak when played mono. It's like you only hear "half" of their sound.

#197295 - 02/15/03 04:08 PM Re: advice peavey kb/A300

EV, yes, that would be true if you used the mono/left output from the keyboard with a single cable. However, if you use both the mono/left and also the right outputs, run them through two of the the KB-300s inputs, the sound then combine, and if you wish, you can actually enhance some of the sounds coming out of each channel by adding more bass, mid tones or high end.

Cheers,

Gary

#197296 - 02/15/03 04:49 PM Re: advice peavey kb/A300
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Mike,

I have an older KB300. I also have a stereo powered mixer with a pair of speakers (stands, etc.) for bigger jobs. In truth, I find that for most of my gigs the KB300 is quite sufficient. If it is not, I still take the KB300 for monitoring, as my keyboard does not have built-in speakers. But stereo is not a major consideration - even when I use my big PA, I often have to set the pan pots at or near center position, if the room is wide and I am not focusing on a single dance floor. The KB300 is heavy but I bought the wheels at Home Depot and mounted them instead of the coasters on the bottom of the KB300 - this makes it a lot easier to move the amp around. As far as sound quality - KB300 has plenty of volume, and the tone is good. I have never had to turn it all the way up, so I don't hear horn distortion, if there is any.

However, if I could afford it, I'd buy a nice powered speaker like SxA100/SRM450/EON15G2/etc, to use it instead of the Peavey (I also have a non-powered mixer with built-in effects unit). This would be a lighter weight option, but a lot more money.

REgards,
Alex

#197297 - 02/15/03 06:09 PM Re: advice peavey kb/A300
Luis.Santos Offline

Loc: Portugal
Everybody, please don't forget the fact that when connecting both the left and the right outputs of the keyboard to one speaker only strange phase effects/problems may appear, specially when using delay/chorus effects.

Luis Santos

#197298 - 02/15/03 07:58 PM Re: advice peavey kb/A300
Beakybird Offline

I just purchased a Motion Sound KP-100S from Dano. It is coming out in April. It has two 8" speakers and 50 watts per channel. It comes with an expander to separate the stereo signal. It's big brother, the KP-200S got a Keybuy award from Keyboard magazine. I think that stereo is a plus but not a necessity. I would think that half the room at most of my gigs could benefit from stereo. Stereo does make the music more alive.

Right now I'm performing with one JBL Eon10 G2. I'll report to you guys in April if the Motion Sound KP-100S is superior.

Beakybird

#197299 - 02/15/03 09:17 PM Re: advice peavey kb/A300
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Peavey just introduced several new keyboard amps at NAMM.
KB1, KB2, KB3,KB4 and KB5. The KB4 and KB% have wheels on the back and a pull out handle for moving. they have added many new features and they looked great. You can probably check them out on the Peavey Website.
George Kaye
kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#197300 - 02/16/03 05:52 AM Re: advice peavey kb/A300
nardoni2002 Offline

thanks for all your help,i bought the peavey for 190 euros/same as dollars,,in new condition,i dont intend to use it for a lot of venues so the weight shouldn,t be too much of a problem,if i had bought more expensive ones they wouldn,t have justified the amount of cost/use,cheers ,mike

#197301 - 02/16/03 07:12 AM Re: advice peavey kb/A300

Congratulations, you've made a wise choice and sounds like you got a great price.

Cheers,

Gary

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online