SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#197196 - 02/17/05 07:19 PM PSR-2000 will have to sit in a corner until problem figured out :(:(:(
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Until I figure out what's producing all that static in my PSR-2000's speakers the board is just going to have to sit in a corner. I can't play it with that noise, and it really stands out when playing now. It's frustrating having to move the board around my entire home trying to find a clean spot (which most often is dead center in a room). I know I'm going to hear it from the wife now. She was against me getting the board in the first place. Now I'm sure I'll get a big ass "I told you so"

Right now I'm at a loss as to what I should do. The problem is localized, and I have no idea on how the hell to pinpoint what signals I'm picking up that cause this problem. It is the only electrical device in my home that I have this problem with. My Casio WK-3500 doesn't do it and no other device in my home with speakers has this problem. I honestly don't know what Yamaha can do about it either. So currently the board is unplayable to me and will sit for I don't know how long until I figure something out.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#197197 - 02/17/05 07:44 PM Re: PSR-2000 will have to sit in a corner until problem figured out :(:(:(
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Check your gain, if it has one. If its too high its guaranteed to cause the noise. Have you tried different circuits in different rooms? Often times when the circuit has too much on it and when you turn on a ligh or something it will cause clicking or popping. Try using studio monitors, or headfones, if the sound remains it may be internal.

Phil

#197198 - 02/17/05 07:54 PM Re: PSR-2000 will have to sit in a corner until problem figured out :(:(:(
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Phil,
I've tried every available outlet in my condo. And it's the same in every room. Turning down the mic input level was one of the first things I did, and that did not help. I later found that static is also present in headphones, and in the output jacks. The noise comes primarily from the tweeters. The speakers I used were a PC based set up with two satalites and a subwoofer. The sats didn't have tweeters so the noise wasn't as loud because the tweeters weren't there. I then hooked it up to my stereo system, and since those speakers have tweeters the sound was louder. I'm beginning think it's an internal problem with the amp. It's possible it got damaged during shipment. Currently I don't know what the heck I'm going to do. I spent a good chunk of change on the board and right now it's unplayable in my home. I don't know anyone who's qualified enough to open the thing up and take a look. The nearest authorized repair center to me is hours away, and I have no idea what they'd charge. I also don't know what Yamaha would charge me either considering the boards not covered under the warranty anymore.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 02-17-2005).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#197199 - 02/17/05 08:00 PM Re: PSR-2000 will have to sit in a corner until problem figured out :(:(:(
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Well id suggest calling the place to see what they could do for ya. Im sure they can quote ya something in the ball park. Major companies such as Yamaha shouldnt have a problem helping you as long as you send them a proper and repectful e-mail. They can also help you with troubleshooting. Shoot off a few e-mails, and see how it goes.

Phil

#197200 - 02/17/05 11:04 PM Re: PSR-2000 will have to sit in a corner until problem figured out :(:(:(
Carrie-uk Offline

Loc: England
Was the shipment insured? You might be able to make a claim if whomever sent it stated that it was in fine working order before being shipped.

Just a thought!

Carrie

#197201 - 02/18/05 12:53 AM Re: PSR-2000 will have to sit in a corner until problem figured out :(:(:(
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Just some thoughts....

Is this interference coming down the mains wire, through the air, or is it the 2k itself?

SO

Try feeding the power apapter through a main filter or (even better) a PC UPS system. Can you get your hands on a portable generator - try it in the garden!

Is the behaviour the same at a neighbours house? Different block / town / state?

Do you have light dimmers in the house? Dodgy flourescents? Does the noise go away if you turn off the Lights / TV / Freezer / Fridge / Aquarium?

#197202 - 02/18/05 12:54 AM Re: PSR-2000 will have to sit in a corner until problem figured out :(:(:(
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Squeak, you've got mail

#197203 - 02/18/05 01:04 AM Re: PSR-2000 will have to sit in a corner until problem figured out :(:(:(
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Desperate times need desperate measures:

Supid enough, but maybe do factory reset???

#197204 - 02/18/05 09:10 AM Re: PSR-2000 will have to sit in a corner until problem figured out :(:(:(
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Squeak:
After reviewing both threads of this topic, I think I understand your problem more. You can forget plugs, grounds, locations, etc: Your keyboard is not filtering to ground rf thats surrounding you, You could be located in a high density area of rf. That is, radio staion across the back fence etc, but not to likely, Would be helpful if I knew if this just started or has been the case since you first plugged it in.
Trident's idea isn't so dumb in my opinion. A re-install of the OS is a possibility. I had a similar situation one time and the OS re-install cured it.

Its sorta like a portable tv with rabbit ears. you get close to the antenna and it changes the picture, or if you touch it you become the antenna, when you get close to the board you are a antenna for rf and help the amplification out. the metal stand is also a antenna. I think the 2000 is defective because it should filter this out. but it could be possibly cured by a re-install of the OS. If this dosn't do it, it's time to send it to a pro. It could be something very simple a wire rubbing against something (caused be shipping or handling) or some small component has failed,or a loose ground wire etc etc....Hope you get it fixed......Pose

------------------
Support the arts
FEED a Musician
Cheers....Pose

#197205 - 02/18/05 09:18 AM Re: PSR-2000 will have to sit in a corner until problem figured out :(:(:(
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Unfortunately, even though it was widely advertised as having the OS in software, the PSR2000 in fact does not have an upgradeable OS, unless you change out hardware (chips).
DonM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online