SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#197110 - 01/09/06 07:22 PM Re: How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I started taking piano lessons in 1937 and had the same teacher for 5 years. I think the lessons were 50 cents and went on as long as the teacher felt necessary. After the lesson we used to play duets from the Etude magazine.
Bebop

#197111 - 01/09/06 07:36 PM Re: How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
claudiu Offline

Loc: Sterling Heights, Michigan USA
I started to take lessons when i was 6 years old...and in Romania the music school is free - I didn't pay anything - you just need the talent and you to be willing to work!

regards,

claudiu

#197112 - 01/10/06 05:43 AM Re: How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
korg4god Offline

Loc: Dodge City, Kansas 67801
I do teach now...if anyone wants to travel to South Central kansas for lessons...

I have been teaching privately for over 20 years and taught in a class/ school setting approximately 6 years. I teach keyboard/piano/voice/theory, ear training and about anything else people want to learn about music. I am with a very contemporary ministry and church so most of what we do is just chord charts and lead sheet formats. Many of my students are adults who want to learn to play by ear and develop their improvisation and ear training, although I stress the importance of reading music as well.

I charge $40/ month for a 30 minute lesson a week so it is approximately $10 a lesson. I also serve as an officer in our local piano teachers association, the Walnut Valley Music Teachers Association.

Jeff

Dodge City Schools -USD 443
Forte Music School

http://forte.musicteachershelper.com

#197113 - 01/10/06 06:26 AM Re: How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Doc-Z ... I can relate to that ...
A number of years ago I started taking 'piano lessons' from a GREAT self-taught piano player here in RI (SteveM ... it was Diamond) ...
I told him I only wanted to learn 'chord substitution' and the like ... He said "Are you sure you don't want to start with the fundamentals .. scales and such?" I said "NO THANKS" ...the first week he wrote some chord subs for a tune and I went home to practice .. got nowhere ... go back and he simplifies it, and again asks the same question about 'scales, etc.' ... "NO THANKS" ... I go home and again get nowhere with the tune ... third lesson, same question .. this time it sunk in that without those fundamentals, I was going NOWHERE !!! ... so we started with the Berkely System he followed in teaching himself ... Unfortunately, some wrist/forearm problems came about, as well as a more demanding work schedule and I had to stop the lessons .., BUT ... retirement is only 12 months away, and I am considering restarting ...
t.

#197114 - 01/10/06 04:52 PM Re: How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
Dnj Offline

Another thing to beware of are teachers that string you along week by week by only giving you a little bit to learn at a time which will take forever .....
which in turn = more money for them !!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-10-2006).]

#197115 - 01/10/06 06:14 PM Re: How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
claudiu Offline

Loc: Sterling Heights, Michigan USA
i guess no one cares

#197116 - 01/12/06 09:06 PM Re: How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA

This is kinda spooky. After all these years and moving to California I sure never expected to hear about the Neupauer Conservatory again. I went there in the '70s, majored in guitar. I have heard from about five or six alumni on this board. Not bad for such a tiny school.

Now I am returning to my piano studies and I find that the programs made by PG music are outstanding for learning. They make Band-in-a-Box, which most of you probably already have. They also make a large number of other programs that will help you to play better. I have the Jazz Piano Master Class, Jazz Guitar Solos, Flatpick Guitar Solos , The Blues Pianist and many others. All are helpful, fun and very good value-for-money.

Google on PG MUSIC and check their werbsite.

I have not seen any teaching materials that are specifically for arranger keyboard. Have you?

#197117 - 01/13/06 06:05 AM Re: How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Fran,

Like you, my first lessons were on the accordian . . . and yes, they prepared me for a lifetime of music. Glad to hear from all of us old accordian players.

Regards,
Steve

#197118 - 01/13/06 06:27 AM Re: How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
Dnj Offline

Beefing up your left hand skills is the greatest challenge coming from an Accordion background.........but with much practice success can be achieved for sure when makingthe switch to an arranger KB.

#197119 - 01/13/06 06:44 AM Re: How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The Pointer system works for arranger teaching..It is easily adapted to the arranger keyboard..This is the series I used to teach keyboard and arranger keyboard..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 01-13-2006).]

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online